Forumite

New dermatological treatment.

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

New to me, that is. One of my many medical problems dates back to Army service and picking up a bug that gave me boils, carbuncles and eventually blood poisoning. It did not show after I left the Army until 1981, apparently as a result of becoming a mechanic and a workshop foreman, with the associated exposure to oils, lubricants and parts washing fluids. This activated the bug in my lymph system and being a hairy bloke, hair follicles would become infected and spread the non-contagious, non-infectious bug around other follicles. I was eventually referred to a dermatologist who discovered the bug and diagnosing the problem after sending samples from my bod to Charing Cross, a centre for tropical diseases.

He prescribed Hibiscrub, as an all over body wash and told me to stop using soap or gels. I have been using 5 litres of the stuff from 1982 until the current situation has enforced an increase in its use within the NHS, to such an extent that my dispensary and all local pharmacies are unable to obtain any. That was a real bummer and made me anxious about a replacement, because I know exactly what happens if I don’t shower and wash even my hands with the stuff. I become a minor version of the Elephant Man, with erupting skin volcanoes. I would not wish it to happen to anyone.

However, my local Co Op Pharmacy has come up trumps by finding a replacement and I am using it with no side effects and continuing to be free of the condition: Hydrex –

https://tinyurl.com/y7dcypq9

I looked it up and was gobsmacked at the price of just 500 ml:    https://tinyurl.com/ybavc6ad

I use 10 of those 500 ml bottles within 2 or 3 weeks, although the pharmacy is negotiating a 5 Litre supply. It’s sobering to me to realise what my health is costing the NHS. My GP told me in a call back, that it is a suitable replacement and is now spreading in use across the NHS, outside of surgery and Covid treatment. He also says that it will kill Covid-19 as a hand wash. Bonus. All I know is that it works and foams better than Hibiscrub. And it is made in the UK, unlike Hibiscrub which comes from Germany.

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    TCBarrett
    @tcbarrett
    Forumite Points: 425

Skin conditions appear to be amongst those more commonly misdiagnosed and often tricky to manage.

I was born with a skin condition that was misdiagnosed for the first 16 years of my life. The sensory overload when all your skin is bombarding your brain is tricky to describe to those that haven’t experienced anything like it.

Kudos to your pharmacy and GP :)

Family. Coffee. CrossFit. WordPress. にほんご。

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 13,468

How are you managing the skin condition TCB? The Hydrex seems to be working for me better than the Hibiscrub was, I was still getting pimple flare ups that died before they could become nastier. Using the Hydrex has stopped that.

Yes I have a great bunch of GP’s and the Co Op pharmacy is good too: a friend of my missus works there. Queues are a bugga though!

I'm out.

Participant
    TCBarrett
    @tcbarrett

I spent several years applying thick layers of, essentially, paraffin to my skin. I bathed in paraffin soaked baths, washed with paraffin. I also wore all cotton clothes ( this is another ongoing problem that people don’t usually think about, but I can moan about that in another thread ;p ) and brought cotton sheets and blankets with me to prevent having to make contact with man made fibres.

After about 4-5 years of this it started to improve enough that I can manage in less conspicuous way. Have found that I can use Cetraben (https://www.boots.com/cetraben-cream-475ml-10191699) at home and Aveeno (https://www.boots.com/beauty/skincare/skincare-all-skincare/aveeno-lotion-with-natural-colloidal-oatmeal-500ml-10145087) in public.

Both used to be available on prescription. But, not so much any more.

Participant
    TCBarrett
    @tcbarrett

NB: Still find it amusing that I use flammable creams :)

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 16,933

Just don’t autoignite, it does happen!

link

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

Wow TCB, your problem is much more complex to treat than mine. At least I don’t have the flammable creams to contend with. But all the increased Covid-inspired hand washing is drying up my hands. After shaving and using Nivea aftershave balm, I use a little on my hands. Seems to work well.

Incidentally, I have to laugh at the Liverpool players using it on the TV ads. They pour a big puddle into their hands, which tells me they don’t actually use it! only a couple of fingertips is needed for my face and hands. Although I do have a chin beard and ‘tache now.

I'm out.

Participant
    PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 7,534

TCB, I use Zerobase, from memory that was similar to Cetraben and it’s available on prescription (in Wales anyway).

I have to use Hydromol and Dermol 500

Again they are on prescription.

Participant
    TCBarrett
    @tcbarrett

The zerodorm product looks like the soap alternative that I used to use (similar to the Hydromol). When prescription wasn’t available, I would use this: https://www.sebamed.co.uk/products/cleansing-bar-100g?variant=15498320314486

I don’t remember the exact thing I was prescribed at first. It was given around 10 creams for skin application, 10 soap alternatives and 5 bath oils – all try to try out in various combinations to see which helped me the most.

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

Slightly off topic but staying with health issues: my stoma supplier informed me yesterday that my last order will be delayed due to a shortage of products. I reminded them that they sent an email to all customers just 3 weeks ago, to the effect that there would not be any interruption in supplies. They have sent me an alternative product.

STEVE: warn the Duchess about this. My supplier is Coloplast and they actually make the stuff.

I'm out.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.