New future for NFFC

HOME Forums Sports Football New future for NFFC

This topic contains 14 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Bob Williams 3 months, 1 week ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Great future for my club, now if we can just get into the Play Offs this year and wave back at Derby with a couple of fingers…

http://tinyurl.com/y36fqmfa

Hope I see it finished. First pic is now my Desktop background.

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

Spread the love
Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 3,352

Nice, but it appears ‘light’ on the money-making Entertainment Suites. Maybe its just the angle of the artist’s impression, and they are hidden away somewhere else.

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725
    Forumite Points: 1,127

Bob if you’re happy I’m happy.

Excluding the square peg/round hole dump we are renting, I would have a little bit of caution about a “new” or redeveloped ground.

Granted nothing will be as bad as ours, but in general redevelopment is all geared toward ridding football grounds of long term fans who have been through the mill and replacing them with families (get off the train, spend money in the club shop, buy hot dogs, get on the train and go home) – plus corporates

Hope its not the case as had some great days away at Forest.

Ed I know the lounges make money but they add nothing to football  in fact they detract from it as uninterested corporate types spend most of the game drinking and eating, so the seats are either empty or full of people who don’t care tuppence.

I’ve more or less accepted that football has left me behind now – but I really hope the City Ground redevelopment is a positive thing for Forest fans, and not an excuse to purge the old school fans and charge the newbies more.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 3,100

Forest never have been big on the Leisure/entertainment* side Ed. The suites are large enough for the potential audience: Forest always go for quality as opposed to quantity. The facilities available now are almost full at every home game and they are quite comfortable, even a tad luxurious. Read the “Owner’s Message” and understand that the club has always been supporter-focussed. It is good to know that Mr. Marinakis is also following that path, which previous owners have not done. We Forest fans have had some miserable years since the Clough Glory Days, but even in League One (shudders) attendances were well above other teams in the same League. To attend a game at the City Ground, even when the team are losing, is to hear the fans still supporting the players. Although some previous owners and management have received a lot of stick! Mr. Marinakis, who has made his main home in the county, has spent money wisely and has not given up on the Academy, which other clubs have done to save money. The Youth teams are doing well and the future looks brighter. As a supporter ofalmost 67 years, I am hopeful. But then real supporters are always hopeful….

There will be a hotel and many other sports facilities besides the new stadium.

*Forest fans will tell you that the entertainment is all on the pitch anyway!

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Thanks BL. I have watched the WHU problems with sadness at times: I really hope they turn the corner. Like Forest, you Hammers fans have a glorious past, which contrasts with the future. I loved the old Boleyn ground at away matches in the past, although the locals did their best to make us uncomfortable! I used to watch a certain Mr. Moore take the ball away from a Forest player without apparent effort and I wince at the memory.

This is exactly why we will not have extensive ‘entertainment’ suites, absolutely in line with my opinion: –

Ed I know the lounges make money but they add nothing to football in fact they detract from it as uninterested corporate types spend most of the game drinking and eating, so the seats are either empty or full of people who don’t care tuppence.

It should all be about the people who pay in numbers to get in, not the corporates. It’s not widely known, but until a certain Mr. Clough came to Forest, NFFC was the last football club in England to be run by a Committee, (not a Board) 25% of which had to be grass roots supporters. That supporter involvement remained until BC left his perch, but was later compromised. That Marinakis wants supporters involved again, is encouraging.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

On another football note: I have just read Peter Crouch’s book “How To Be A Footballer.” This bloke will make a good living as a comedian after football, he is FAF. He also tells some very interesting and funny stories about the game and characters he has met, played with and against.

Steve may be pleased to know that Steven Gerrard is Crouchie’s favourite player, regards him as the best English player ever. They go back a long way before Crouchie played for Liverpool, as they are the same age and played against each other in junior sides. They played for England at the same time as well as in the same Liverpool team.

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725

Crouchie is a funny bloke Bob

“What you you have been if you hadn’t been a professional footballer?”

“A virgin”

Top bloke!

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 2,505

Yep PC is a nice bloke, always a happy soul. And got did he punch above is weight I’m the wife dept. Lol

He talks highly of stevie g, and I’ve seen a interview with him saying Liverpool was his greatest time ad a player, but he has regrets he moved on, as he wasn’t getting in the team past Torres at the time, but we torres soon left, and he usr to watch Liverpool thinking, I’d be in that team now.

I think he is a fan fav where ever he goes.

In regards to the renders of the ground the stand with the red beam around it looks almost identical to our new massive main stand. It’s probably going to be a scalped down verion (maybe not) but the design scaled down or not has loads of commercial space behind the seating. It’s very nice stand, and sell great food, Indian, Chinese, Mexican, Italian you name it. Now in all thd other stands you get a over price over salted pie, or a hot dog and be thankful.

Tou don’t see it on TV as the cameras face away, but the stand empties at half time, it’s quite a sight. We just watch on, knowing there isn’t even enough toilets to service our stands never mixed food outlets.

All week their is alot of corporate space too that is rented out in the stand. The centenary stand (now sir Kenny stand) use to do that, but built in 1992, its date for top dollar corporate stuff.

Thr one shame about extending the old msinstsnd was its foundation and inner brick work was form the turn of the 1900s, is was small and dangerous mind under the stand, but it had character. Its now new and shiny, and yet to get a soul.

Though as BL said, carful what you wish for, thee place is shite (sorry BL), I’m so glad we went through 2008 and Gillette and hicks era, and they money dropped out, as we was days off braking ground on a new stadium in stanly Park (even closer to Everton). We was gutted at the time it went tits up, but I think extending and renovating what you have is the way to go.

It’s funny as a ground is like triggers new brush. There isn’t one stand at anfield now that was there when I first went in late 1980s. But it’s still anfield as it evolves and holds the history   Left behind. That can’t be under estimated. It’s priceless.

Man cities ground is great, but it’s like Wembley, good but shit (bit so was the old one. My favourite new grand is the stadium of light in Sunderland. A total bitch to get out of, with the single road and bridge to the motorway, bit do love that ground. Though my wife hated it there. But she can’t explain why.

But I think staying put is always the way to go. I’ll miss Everton when they move. Gooderson is a dump now, that won’t offend any blue, but I feer their move to the Kings Dock is 1. Gonna cost a billion quid, (at least). 2 it may be crap, 3 they will look almost 150 years of history (1878 iirc), and 4  most of all they will be moving out of Everton itself . It’s only 15 drive away, but I feel that could be a massive negative.

All for ab extra 15k seats, in a day when match day revenue is irrelevant to PL clubs. The world wide TV rights is the gift that keeps giving, they gould give tickets away evey week and not not notice it.

Plus I like to see and pity our shite neighbours when I go to anfield. (hehehe) you know that last line is gonna bite me on the arse this weekend. I actually like the blues, I have a lot of blue friends. And sort form Derby weekends I always favour them.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

Bob, not to belabour the bit about Entertainment Suites but they are not just for match days. Last year I went to a Wedding Reception for a MC fan and it was held  here:

link

The Duke
    @sgb101

Yes they are rented out every day. I’ve been a good few house auctions in a hand full of grounds round the North West. Wigan has loads. I know anfield has lots of corporate events too. I know a fair few people that their companies rend out suites at anfield to impress clientele. Also more basic rooms for meetings and seminars.

It’s only match days when the corporate side side things is wound down. Then the rooms are span up in to posh ticket areas. The 300£ tickets that come with a buffet and a seat with spoung  upto full silver service and real seats. Down the latter one once (not paying)  and it was a poor experiance. Food was good, but there is noting like being in the stand.

As Roy keane said “the praw sandwich brigade, is the issue with footnall”. You sit there and clap politely. F-that.

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725

This is Upton Park as I first remember it – terraces on all four sides, the only seats were on the East and West upper tiers. Surrounded by pubs, cafe’s, pie and mash shops, bookies, offies etc. Would have it all back in a heartbeat if we could. Sigh. 

The Duke
    @sgb101

Stop BL youre only hurting yourself.

I never liked the fack towers iirc at Upton Park, but the ground was a proper old ground. I think Everton will miss wooderson once they get over the newness of their proposed new ground. I’m so glad we never brick ground on our new stadium in 2008. For me at least, anfield is a special place. I doubt it could be recreated.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

The problems really came when a someone with a lot of bucks bought the club or a Real Estate Developer has a significant place on the Board. Luckily the rules have recently been changed a little, but there are still a couple of clubs that are technically insolvent due to their having to pay the interest on the buy-out.

Once in that position, you should really start to worry if the value of the land is high. There used to be a minor Premier Division club called Brentwood Town until its ground was sold for housing.😣

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725

Stop BL youre only hurting yourself. I never liked the fack towers iirc at Upton Park, but the ground was a proper old ground. I think Everton will miss wooderson once they get over the newness of their proposed new ground. I’m so glad we never brick ground on our new stadium in 2008. For me at least, anfield is a special place. I doubt it could be recreated.

I know mate! Had mixed feelings Saturday as they named as stand at the Olympic Stadium after Billy Bonds (my all time hero along with Sir Trev) – totally deserved – but half of me is sad he has his name associated with that dump.

I know, I know – have to let it all go – at least I had it I suppose.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Interesting “Debt link” Ed, thanks for that. Forest are now in the best financial position for years, thanks to new owner Marinakis setting the club’s debts. But he also had to carry out legal action against the former owner:

http://tinyurl.com/y5f622sn

This is what happens when the financial, sports and business worlds decide to battle over a facility that thousands of ordinary folk have loved and supported all their lives. Most of those corporate a-holes do not give a toss about ordinary fans.

I would hate to see the City Ground’s location change to a new, soulless stadium miles outside the City. That is what former owner Al-Hasawi wanted to do: take the club to the location of a former water sports facility along the A52. There is so much history behind a club that is England’s 3rd oldest, formed in 1865. That history has a lot to do with the atmosphere at any stadium which has entertained the public for a long time: in Forest’s case, for 154 years as I write this. For example, I liked the old Boleyn Ground BL and Steve I also liked Anfield (when airborne Scouse saliva was not happening, anyway!) There is also a bit more history across the Trent at Meadow Lane (Notts County 1862, oldest English club). However, you have to know the old Forest joke: “Why is Meadow Lane like the Moon?”    Answer –    “No atmosphere.”

Fortunately, Marinakis wants us to stay on the banks of the Trent in our present location. I get the feeling that he understands football supporters, having been an Olympiacos fan from childhood, and then owner of that club.

History of NFFC, I know, you may not be interested:

http://tinyurl.com/y3yt6lxl

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love