Forumite

New laptop issues

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Marc Berry
    @marc-knuckle

Hi guys.

so i finally got the used laptop, a HP Elitebook 840 G3. was on ebay for £235 with offers accepted so i eventually got it for £220 and ebay were giving 10% off anything over £100 so paid £198.

its very clean and not many marks apart from some wrinkles in the coating on some of the keys so i am happy.

there was a few issues like not being able to configure the microphone or acess certain things like device manager as it said it didnt have access to the file but a restart solved that.

however, as far as i can see the laptop has a webcam but if i go onto google duo web app it says either it doesnt have a webcam or doesnt have the permission to use it. i’ve checked the settings in windows and it seems fine and in google duo’s settings it just says to click on the camera blocked icon in the address bar but that only says the microphone is being accessed but nothing about the webcam. any thoughts?

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 9,058

Nice find.

For the latest 840 G2 I bought I went to HP websites and let it sort out any missing drivers etc. Go here https://support.hp.com/gb-en/drivers/laptops

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 5,930

My Logitec Webcam insists that I have their webcam software running as well as the driver before it will work. The software would like to run automatically at start up but I don’t let it 😁

Participant
    Marc Berry
    @marc-knuckle
    Forumite Points: 537

I messaged the seller and he said i should do a reinstall and if that didn’t sort it it could be a physical issue he’d either get fixed or replaced it. Reinstall didn’t sort it.

However, when i was about to plug it in i got a small shock from the charger plug and then while it was then plugged in i then got a bit of a shock from the actual laptop case in the corner. Scary. So i have messaged the seller again and I’m awaiting a response.

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley

Nasty. But it may not be the cause of the Webcam not working. The kernel mode driver for my Webcam uses Advanced Local Procedure Calls (ALPC) to communicate with its User mode part and if thats not running then the camera just won’t work. The mike works all the time though.

Participant
    Marc Berry
    @marc-knuckle

He’s responded saying it’s impossible for the electric to come through plastic to which I’ve said if there is even the slightest gap it would and he’ll see for himself when he gets it back.

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley

It is just possible for your laptop chassis to become live. Laptop PSU’s are double insulated these days so they are not connected to earth, the laptop chassis is just connected to the negative output of the PSU. With a switch mode supply (All PC PSU’s are) it is just possible that a fault could cause mains voltage to appear on the negative output but without a return path on the positive output. In that case any metal part of the chassis becomes live and current will flow if you earth it by touching it when you are even a little bit earthed. Don’t try holding on to a water pipe at the same time to prove a point !

Participant
    Marc Berry
    @marc-knuckle

Cheers mate

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.