Forumite

New member saying hello!

HOME Forums Other Stuff New member saying hello!

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    New member saying hello! 2Si Taylor
    @si32

Good day to you all.

I used to get MicroMart for years and hovered around the old Forum, back in the day.

Just thought i’d join up, just in case i need advice or can offer any. And pay towards the upkeep of a place where good people have given kind and helpful tips, that have helped me too in the past.

Best wishes, Si.

Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    New member saying hello! 3Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 12,988

Welcome Simon,climb aboard!

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Participant
    New member saying hello! 4PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 6,667

What he said. 👆

Participant
    New member saying hello! 5JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 4,811

Welcome too, Simon, – it’s always nice to see “new blood” arriving and contributing, especially from a familiar ( MM ) back story.

Participant
    New member saying hello! 6Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 15,276

You are not THE Simon are you!?

Welcome either way.

Participant
    @si32
    Forumite Points: 103

Ha. I’m not THE Simon :) as far as i know!

I don’t know a lot, but i do know Surfing, North Devon, and movies.

Running 2 computers currently. 1 for gaming and the other for movies.

I didn’t build one, but i remember the Dave Specials era.

Keymaster
    New member saying hello! 8RSB
    @bdthree
    Forumite Points: 7,339

I think I gave you a welcome this morning via email but welcome again. 😺😺

Americans: Over Sexed, Over Payed and Over here, Wat Wat!

Forumite Donations Paypal.me/forumite

Participant
    New member saying hello! 9Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 8,334

Welcome aboard. Theres at least one Dave Special still going, and no it’s not mine 😊

Participant
    New member saying hello! 10The VFM Addict
    @thevfmaddict
    Forumite Points: 2,901

Welcome aboard Simon.    Doubly nice that you’re a MM veteran.

Dave,  I still have my stepson’s old Dave’s Special in the loft.    I couldn’t bear to part with the most versatile mobo ever created.    Nothing like it before it and we’ll never see anything like it again.   If anything deserves the title ‘a Classic’ then that Asrock mobo does.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

During the Covid-19 Epidemic I will be wearing a mask and goggles while posting so that if I become infected I won't spread it to you.

Participant
    @si32

Many thanks to you all.

I still have a pile of MicroMart’s in the loo, for light reading.

But, they are slowly being used up, to start the woodburner.

Sacrilege, i know!

Keymaster
    @bdthree

It’s not a wood burner on a narrowboat is it :)

Participant
    @bullstuff2

After a visit to Bletchley Park and TNMOC a few years ago, my senior grandson has an original MM from long, long ago. I have the last issue and an MM mug, donated by another Forumite.

New member saying hello! 14

This was taken in 2015 in his mum’s home. There have been so many changes since in that young man’s life: he now has a very good well paid job in IT. He has his own apartment and his system is light years beyond what you see there, with a massive Server array in the second bedroom. Mum’s house has gone from being a 200 year old 2 bed cottage to a large 3 bed family home. But he remains the quiet, hard working lad he always was and i love him to bits.

I'm out.

Participant
    @si32

@RSB. No Narrowboats here, i’m afraid. I have a small 200 year old cottage.

@Bob. Wow, that is an old copy of the magazine. I used to keep all my copies, but after a few years it got too much.

What a great result for your Grandson. Sounds like he’s found his calling in life, and done well. Love that picture, with the old set up.

I’ve always built computers to a mid range budget, i5 rather than i7 for example. Next winter might be time for an upgrade, we’ll see how things go :)

Participant
    New member saying hello! 16Les.
    @oldles
    Forumite Points: 1,714

Narrow boats and log fires.

When I first moved to IOM 32 years ago, I bought a Morso “Squirrel” for the (that) cottage. Dual fuel, it was very good. Fast forward to a couple of years ago. Via wives of USSR origin, I got to know a (VERY) wealthy guy, and when we were at his house for a Russian Christmas meal, I saw he had a Squirrel. I commented on it, and he told me he used to have a string of boatyard shops, and he supplied squirrels for fitment to very many narrow boats. I forget the details, but as i recall you have a removable hearth for use with coal/smokeless fuels, but just remove it for wood burning. I am sure, touring the Cut, you would see many wood collection opportunities.

On the security front, if you live in a park-able home (boat, caravan etc.) you are game for assault by the idiots, especially when tanked up at the weekend. I had a pal who had lived a sheltered life as a “skivvy” on a farm, with oft repeated promises of the title when the old woman who owned it died. Then one day, he saw it was B-S, so upped and away. He bought himself a boat and lived in that for a while. Regular problems when parked up. He then moved to a gypsy caravan (he had a horse), but found it was rather much the same. He still had the caravan when I first knew him, but had his eyes on a young woman with hareshorn lip problems, who had become domestic skivvy to father and brothers. They married, bought a house, but after about two years, went to live on a smallholding in NE Scotland (Mid Clith??). He is either still there, or passed on to the best of my knowl;edge.

Les.

Participant
    New member saying hello! 17D-Dan
    @d-dan
    Forumite Points: 2,588

Welcome to the jungle, we got fun & games

Arch Linux, on a Ryzen 7 1800X, 16 GB, 5 (yes -5) HDs inc 2 SSDs, 4 RPi 3Bs + 1 RPi 4B - one as an NFS server with two more drives, PiHole (shut yours), Plex server, cloud server, and other random Pi stuff. Nice CoolerMaster case, NV GTX 1070 8GB, and a whopping 32" AOC 1440P monitor.

Keymaster
    @bdthree

I never did finish them scans of my old MM mags. https://forumite.co.uk/micromart-issue-29/

Participant
    @si32

That’s an old magazine, well before my time.

I think i bought about the last 10 years worth, on a subscription.

There’s not many left in my pile, but luckily, this is one of them.

New member saying hello! 20

Participant
    New member saying hello! 21The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 11,208

I still have the final issue on my loft. Event hough the last few years weren’t that great.

I did use to love it in the days of the ads, sitting there building a pc I could never afford.

The Internet ruined that. An online Configuratior just isn’t the same.

Participant
    @bullstuff2

Yes I have that Final issue too.

I'm out.

Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.