New monitor – maybe

HOME Forums Tech PC Talk New monitor – maybe

This topic contains 13 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by D-Dan 2 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan

I’m posting in PC Talk, taking PC to be Personal Computer, and NOT Windows machine.

Background is, I don’t possess a TV. I use my computer for all my entertainment, and currently have a 27″ Samsung HD monitor. I’m thinking of replacing it with https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CG41Y8Z/?coliid=I1EZ3DNY9D21OF&colid=7VCJWVYZDM47&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it, which looks like a hell of a good buy.

Reviews are good, too. If I get it, the Samsung will fill the space where my 24″ HannsG sits connected to my (hidden away) laptop, and the HannsG will become an emergency backup.

Does anyone have any experience of the proposed upgrade who may offer some words of wisdom?

Ryzen 7 1800X, 16 GB, 6 (yes - 6) HDs inc 2 SSDs, 4 RPis - one as an NFS server with two more drives, PiHole (shut yours), Plex server, cloud server, and other random Pi stuff. Nice CoolerMaster case, NV GTX 1060 6GB, and a whopping 32" AOC 1440P monitor.

Spread the love
Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Boris
    @boris
    Forumite Points: 705

In a review of this one I read  (I think) that it has no VESA mount ? – does that matter ?

Never trust an atom - they make up everything !

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan
    Forumite Points: 1,028

VESA mount is not an issue. desk stand will work just fine (As it happens, nether the Samsung nor the HannsG have VESA mounts either, but I have a floating hydraulic arm with a monitor clamp, so job done)

Ryzen 7 1800X, 16 GB, 6 (yes - 6) HDs inc 2 SSDs, 4 RPis - one as an NFS server with two more drives, PiHole (shut yours), Plex server, cloud server, and other random Pi stuff. Nice CoolerMaster case, NV GTX 1060 6GB, and a whopping 32" AOC 1440P monitor.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 1,814

I love AOC monitors. Looks like a good one.

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan

For the price, it looks like a bargain, and as the centre piece where most have a TV, more than adequate.

I suspect I’ll order on Friday for delivery at weekend.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 2,593

I bought my youngest Gdaughter a 2 yo AOC 23″ monitor for £40 and was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the picture: it compares well with my new 24″HP V240A. She loves it and granddad has more Brownie Points now!

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

Drezha
    Participant
    @drezha
    Forumite Points: 756

Sounds like it’s the season to purchase one – I’ve ordered this one yesterday to be delivered on Friday. I fancied a 4K screen, but my Mac Mini wont support it (other than at 30Hz) and I’ve have issues with a high def laptop screen at work and some programs that I would use at home so I don’t think I’m ready to drop it on that.

Want to get a desk arm as well – can’t decide on this one or this one.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 2,954

Sounds like it’s the season to purchase one – I’ve ordered this one yesterday to be delivered on Friday. I fancied a 4K screen, but my Mac Mini wont support it (other than at 30Hz) and I’ve have issues with a high def laptop screen at work and some programs that I would use at home so I don’t think I’m ready to drop it on that. Want to get a desk arm as well – can’t decide on this one or this one.

The 30Hz limit for hdmi is quite common to even Windows PCs unless you have a very high end GPU, which seems to be an Apple weak spot. However even with Apple you may be able to get 60hz through a USB-C to display-port cobble but you would need to research that area.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 1,814

I’d go for the gas assisted arm as it’s not much more.

keith with the teef
    Participant
    @thinktank
    Forumite Points: 495

Display tech at the mo is juggernauting. Looking forward to phones with folding screens.

tadka
    Participant
    @tadka
    Forumite Points: 575

My advice would be go ultra wide if you are buying a new monitor. I went UW when I upgraded and made a massive difference to my eyes. I read some where later that it’s more natural for the eyes to look at a wider picture.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 2,954

My advice would be go ultra wide if you are buying a new monitor. I went UW when I upgraded and made a massive difference to my eyes. I read some where later that it’s more natural for the eyes to look at a wider picture.

Makes sense, staring at a restricted area lowers the blink-rate for eyes causing them to dry out. Presumably a wider screen forces more eye movement.

“Blinking is very important when working at a computer; blinking moistens your eyes to prevent dryness and irritation.

When working at a computer, people blink less frequently — about one-third as often as they normally do — and many blinks performed during computer work are only partial lid closures, according to studies.

Tears coating the eye evaporate more rapidly during long non-blinking phases and this can cause dry eyes. Also, the air in many office environments is dry, which can increase how quickly your tears evaporate, placing you at greater risk for dry eye problems”. — Eye Health

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan

Well, it seems like a hot item. All sellers across Amazon ran out by Wednesday. Late yesterday, it reappeared with just 9 in stock. By this morning, it was down to six. Now, it’s down to 5 (on account of, I ordered one).

Delivery expected tomorrow. 🙂

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan

Just a quick update. The monitor arrived on Sunday, and it’s huge. After adjusting the default settings (which were, frankly, horrible, causing a muddy image with poor contrast – I think in no small part due to the colour temperature used) I now have a crisp, clear picture with good contrast ratio.

I was expecting to have to adjust fonts to accommodate the higher resolution, but text is clear and readable without having to do so.

Obviously, frame rates in benchmarks have suffered a little, but nothing to cause any concerns. Video is fine with no stuttering.

Surprisingly, even at 2560×1440 I’m still only using 200Mb of VRAM (out of 6Gb) for the standard display, and testing with GPU renders in Blender and usage when running unigine benchmarks, it stays well within operating tolerances.

Overall, for a shade under £200, this is a good buy.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love