New phone considered

HOME Forums Tech Android Talk New phone considered

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Bob Williams 1 week, 3 days ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

So I have been shopping around, first considered a Motorola G6 Plus, then recalled someone here giving the Honor phones a good rep. (EdP was that you?) So I am now looking at the Honor 10 Lite: –

http://tinyurl.com/yaplqzp4

Moto G6 Plus, tinyurl refuses to put another link on this page, so a longer link: –

https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/mobile-phones/1408449/moto-g6-plus-deals

We are about to book an expensive river cruise for 30th anniversary in August, so absolute top of budget is £200, with £9 leeway if the G6 Plus is a noticeably better phone. What does The Team think? All advice gratefully accepted, TY guys!

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

Spread the love
Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Replies

keith with the teef
    Participant
    @thinktank
    Forumite Points: 433

The new one from nokia under 180 looks good to me.

Basically it looks like the old windows phone hardware but with andrioid on it. But plenty of peeps excited about it.

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 2,134

I just got my girl a G6 play for £119 of amazon  4000mah battery was the decider.

It’s a cracker.

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 1,619

Just too muddy the waters a bit. 

My Instagram

My YouTube

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 2,134

Alot of phone for 200 quid. I’d be interstein in that for me, but I’d still go g play for a kid. Less serface glass to break. And a bigger choice of cases avalible.

But it looks a nice modern phone design, with good specs.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 2,431

TY guys, grateful for the advice.

Turned off the Honor (which is a Huawei cheaper model) because the battery is not removable. I want to be able to remove the battery if/when it dies and replace it. Cannot discover if the G6 Plus has a removable battery, but I think I will go for that. It appears £10 cheaper on Amazon, until you see it’s listed last year and is a lesser model. I was told at Carphone Warehouse Louth that the Honor 10 Lite comes with a free case and charger, which seems to me a bit of a marketing ploy. Anyway, I will go back there and see what Freebies I can get with the G6 Plus.

Does anyone know if the G6 has a removable battery? Or are most phones sold without removable batteries now? I can split cases of our WileyFoxes, my Lenovo and Hudl tablet now with ease and without damage. I don’t want to find that the battery of any phone I buy is going to die within the next 4 or 5 years. Us Oldpharts like to buy stuff that we can fix if possible.

EDIT: I want to explode the brain of a Curry’s ‘Tech Guy’ by going to the Grimsby store, asking about the G6 and asking if the battery is removable. Should be fun.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by Bob Williams.

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 1,619

Most are fixed now Bob. However, Android in general has got much better at optimizing batteries.

I don’t even think about taking care of my battery anymore, Android does a better job than I can.

Granted I’m a bit of a upgrade fan but all my old Android phones still work on the original battery, bar my LG G3 which mum killed stone dead (The phone, not the battery)

Dug out my Orange San Francisco the other day, still works after a bit of a charge.

My Instagram

My YouTube

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 1,691

<p style=”text-align: center;”>As Nolan says, removeable batteries are getting a thing of the past and I’ve not missed them. The G6 isn’t removeable.
    The Honor 9 lite is just as good as my G6. 3 of the family have them now. £135 @ amazon. Absolutely cracking phone that punches way above its cost.</p>

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Thanks guys, that changes my mind again! Think I will get the Honor 10 Lite. There is only a few pence between Amazon and Carphone W. price, and CW guy in Louth was offering me some Freebies, so it looks like I will be going there. Checking it out well of course.

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 1,000

Bob – if there’s anything I needed to find out about any of the phones I’ve been interested in, I have always looked up what GSM Arena has to say about it.

Info on G6 Plus is HERE.

They let you do comparisons on three phones, side by side, great if you’re getting into the minutiae of each one.

I used it to great effect when looking up PM’s G5. And it’s still going strong.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Thanks JCD, checking that out later.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love