Forumite

New phone or SIM advice please

HOME Forums Tech Android Talk New phone or SIM advice please

This topic contains 13 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Tippon 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon

My phone contract is up at the end of the month, and I can’t decide whether to get an upgrade, or move to a SIM only contract. I’m currently paying about £30 a month for 12GB data and unlimited texts and minutes on Three, with an Honor 9:

https://www.gsmarena.com/honor_9-8704.php#europe

SIM only will take it down to £13 a month on a two year contract. Ellen is on the same contract and in the same position.

We’re both happy with Three, so will probably stick with them. The unlimited data deal is tempting, as it’s £10 for the first six months, then £20 after. We’re usually well inside our data cap, but that’s because Ellen got caught out near the beginning of the contract and had no data for over a week (we could have paid for more, but took it as a lesson instead). According to Ken’s Tech Tips, there are now no restrictions on tethering or even torrenting ( https://kenstechtips.com/index.php/three-all-you-can-eat-data-reviewed ), so if my home fibre drops, I can just hook up the phone and either carry on asking daft questions here, or watching TV through the Fire Stick.

If we do go for a new phone each, does anyone have any Android recommendations please? The Razer Phone 2 on the Three site looks decent, and is only £1 more (£32 a month) for a 30GB contract. It’s either £29 + £37 a month or £39 a month for unlimited, which may be a stretch too far though.

Neither of us do anything particularly taxing on our phones. but Ellen plays some basic games and I occasionally take photos. I don’t know if either use would increase if the phones were more capable. The only thing that would be useful is a micro SD slot.

Thanks guys 🙂

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 3,850

I would have thought the Razer phone was well OTT for your needs. It’s also showing as unavailable ATM.

As a family we’ve all moved over to sim only. I’ve always got on with the good old boring Moto G range, several family members and friends have Huawei products at various price brackets and all are pleased with what they have for the money. The Xaomi POCOPHONE F1 seems to be a very good buy but you can’t get it from Three.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 7,622

It depends if you are a heavy or light user. I think the analysis always shows that light users are better off with a payg phone and sim from Giffgaff or similar. It is more complex for heavier users and the most recent analysis I could find is still a couple of years out of date. However maybe this 2017 MoneySupermarket analysis will help you. link

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 5,727

If you and the Mrs are OK with the phones (and the phones are OK) then go SIM only.

How much data do you use though? Pointless paying out for unlimited data if you don’t use use huge amounts.

I’m fine on the Smarty £7.50 a month deal, if I suspect I’ll be waiting around I download a few Netflix episodes. I usually pay about £6.20 monthly.

Use public wifi for most things and also use a VPN. That’s what I do apart form really sensitive stuff like banking.

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 3,792

One of the things that I like about Sky mobile plan is £6 a month for unlimited calls/texts and 1Gig data,  new customers start at £7 pm and 2Gig data, but any unused data rolls forward into a piggy-bank, which can be used to boost a higher usage month or get rewards.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 7,622

+1 for PM’s comment on wifi – that brings my data usage down to negligible except when I’m in the boondocks.

isdarit
    Participant
    @isdarit
    Forumite Points: 190

speak to 3 they will accommodate your needs especially after the breakdown the other day.

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 2,663

Thanks for the replies guys 🙂

We’re both mostly happy with our phones, and it’s probably just the fact that we can upgrade that’s making me want to. We can afford the contract cost at the minute, so I’d rather get a new phone now if I’m going to, instead of paying out a lump. That’s not overly important though (but the Razer 2 is tempting 😀 )

I worked out earlier that over the last year I’ve used about 3GB a month with a handful of exceptions, but that’s deliberately being careful of my usage (sticking with wifi when it’s playing up, for example). At a guess, I’d say I’d use about double that based on the exceptions. Just to complicate things, if we do go for SIM only, I’ll probably get Netflix with the money saved. It will use more data, but on Three’s 12GB+ plans it’s included on Go Binge, which means it doesn’t count against limits >.<

I’ve got no idea what Ellen uses at the moment, so I’m fighting Three’s bloody awful website to find out.

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 4,240

I’m with ee there site is awful. Kids I have on Giff Gaff, that is a great site.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 3,850

You won’t use as much as you think you do, unless like Steve you use it as a TV. It’s always media that eats it up.

With the kids (well adults now) we decided to go for the Three 12GB deals and be done with it as the Go Binge and family Netflix go well together, especially as 2 of them have no BB at home. No-one has come anywhere near running out and the Go Roam Around the World is a real plus for their travels.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 5,284

+1 to Steve’s E comment, I hate their site and intend to switch soon. Both me and Mrs Bob are SIM only, no contract. My Gert does not use any data, doesn’t use emails or anything online with her phone.

If it’s the Psychic Network why do they need a phone number?

What’s right is what’s left if you do everything else wrong.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon

You won’t use as much as you think you do, unless like Steve you use it as a TV. It’s always media that eats it up.

This is what’s thrown me. 6Gb should be plenty for me, and Ellen’s averaging about the same, except she’s almost hit the 12GB limit more than once. Both of these figures are then without Netflix. Adding Netflix would then probably push us up to the 12GB tier on the SIM only deals, which includes Netflix on Go Binge, which cuts the usage back down >.< I think I’ve figured it out though…

We’re going to go for the 12GB SIM only for me, as it’s only a £3 difference between that and the 4GB SIM. We’re putting Ellen on the unlimited SIM for the same reason, it’s only £7 more and we’re still saving money overall. She’s been deliberately not using things like Youtube because of hitting the data cap previously, so she could do with being on the next step up from the current 12GB package, but the only step in between is the 30GB package for £18. The unlimited is £10 for the first 6 months, then £20, which works out as £17.50 a month. We’re getting the Netflix ultra HD package too, and tethering the Fire Stick to the phones as needed (probably getting the Three home broadband once our current package ends).

We’re currently paying between about £60 and £70 a month depending on any extras, and this should cut the bill to £42.50, unless I’ve missed anything.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by Tippon.

Drezha
    Participant
    @drezha
    Forumite Points: 1,492

Can you see in the Android settings what’s using the data? That would show up what is using the data.

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon

Mostly Reddit and social media for me, but it tends to be Youtube for Ellen. She puts it on for Alice when we’re out and about, or need to kill time*, and it uses more data than I realised.

*If you need to kill some time with small kids, look up Dave and Eva on youtube. It’s mostly counting and alphabet songs, with actual speaking instead of teletubby type babbling nonsense. Blippi is pretty good too 🙂

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thank you for visiting Forumite. If you appreciate the site please consider a donation to show your appreciation.
Take Me There!