New Phone!

HOME Forums Tech Android Talk New Phone!

This topic contains 44 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Drezha 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

PlaneMan
    @planeman

I found a glitch on the 02 site for a OnePlus 5T 128 GB, 8GB RAM for £430, should be £499. 2% TopCashback possible as well. PAYG but they are unlocked with no network branding, allegedly.

Order has gone through and been confirmed.

If it’s honored is another thing.

Was about to post it here and on HUKD but it’s been fixed.

Wish me luck! Or not. 😁

My Instagram

My YouTube

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Replies

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 1,421

I heard the other day that the essential phone can be had for £399 now. Defo worth a look.

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 928

Just setting up the monster now. So far it’s very impressive, face unlock works great ,about the only time having a wonky nose, lazy eye and lopsided ears is a bonus!, fingerprint scanner also works superbly and is exactly where it should be – on the back.

Love the fact it comes with a proper screen protector already in place and there’s a basic bumper case as well, the case is better than nothing but a sturdier one will be found, it’s really thin even for a bumper case.

I’ll report back when I’ve had more time with it, it’s totally unlocked and unbranded as suspected. Thanks O2 for honouring the balls up you made. 😁

My Instagram

My YouTube

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725
    Forumite Points: 527

Amazing specs for a phone! I still stick to a £200-ish budget – mainly as I am so clumsy but also because I don’t really need top specs, but if I had £430 lying around would be sorely tempted.

PlaneMan
    @planeman

It’s all set up now and by heck it’s fast.

Love the little physical notification slider on the top left hand side, lets you choose between ‘normal’ ‘do not disturb’ and ‘vibrate’ without even unlocking the phone. The ability to show network speed in the status bar is a nice nerdy touch. The camera is very quick to respond and the shots look great, I’m aware that there’s an update due soon to improve the camera even more, which is nice.

The size is fine for me, feels really nice in the hand and not daft. If you have trews with small pockets it could be an issue.

One daft thing is that at the moment it can’t do Amazon Prime Video, Netflix or Google Play movies in HD (allegedly) due to not having the Widevine level 1 DRM. It’s coming in an update supposedly. I’ve just tried Netflix and Amazon Prime and they both look superb and no mention of a fix in the update log.

Battery life so far is great but of course it’s very early days.

I’m very impressed with it, well worth the money and makes the LG G5 feel clunky and old fashioned. Which it isn’t.

My Instagram

My YouTube

PlaneMan
    @planeman

Ok, now I’m even more impressed.

The ‘reading mode’ is superb, better than my Kindle (granted, it’s a few years old) but it just works.

There’s a super safe section in the file manager app called Secure Box, needs a 6 digit pin, so you can store whatever you want securely in there. It warns you if you forget the pin, it’s gone for ever.

You can customize what the buttons do (physical and soft), long press/ short press and so on.

Only issue so far is even at the lowest volume setting the ringtone is loud. I’m sure I can sort that with an app.

Edit.

The Google assistant even understands me, half the time I don’t understand me!!

• This reply was modified 8 months ago by PlaneMan.

My Instagram

My YouTube

PlaneMan
    @planeman

Battery life is ridiculous. I’ve been on the phone to various people today for about 3 hours, needed to update bank details, also been using the Google assistant a lot. Battery is at 73%. My LG G5 would be at about 30%.

2 day battery life is looking possible.

My Instagram

My YouTube

PlaneMan
    @planeman

Not charged it for 3 days, still at 34%. Granted I’m not a massive user of screen time but I did hammer it when at the doctors and while waiting for the AA man.

Amazing battery, performance and the camera is superb, all the people posting bad comments about the camera either have no idea how to take a photo (I don’t have much) or haven’t updated the phone. I have seen rumors that the imported versions have more camera issues than the official UK ones, no idea if that’s true.

My Instagram

My YouTube

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 907

Some people have ridiculous over expectations of things and their own skills.

We’re off to London for 4 days in February as I bagged some cheap train tickets. £8 standard or £20 first class so we thought why not? By the time you’ve bought a coffee and slab of cake most of the £12 difference has gone any way.

I found there’s a first class lounge at Paddington I didn’t know existed. Great, if we get there early on the way home we’ll go there instead of Burger King and get free coffee and a snack. The reviews are full of people moaning that they only do wine 2 days a week now! I’m chuffed to get a coffee, piece of cake and a soft seat 😀

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 1,541

@planeman, As you bought through O2 I doubt that you are affected, but in case you have registered or purchased anything from OnePlus you should be aware that they are definitely down amongst the dregs wrt protecting personal info. Ars ink

PlaneMan
    @planeman

Yes, that popped up in my news feed. That’s really a terrible breach.

My Instagram

My YouTube

The Duke
    @sgb101

I think it was about a week ago now they had to remove cc/dc payments and relay on Paypal type pay.

You’ll be fine cos you bought via o2. unless I i used my life savings account instead of my Current id be worried. If your breached and emptied out, the bank will sort out a few hundred withing a 10 call. If i had paid with my life savings account, I think I would transfer it to another anoint fresh account.

That to now takes about 3 mins to sort out. I must have 15 Halifax savings accounts I set up to keep the kids etc money I’m for different savings. They come to me to keep their cash, as they know they will spend it. I only give it them back when they reqxk the goal they started or something changes.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 1,195

What scares my is the arrival of so called open banking. That could allow anyone you have dealings with to ransack your accounts – if you are not super careful to prevent them. To be honest I do not care if I could have bought a packet of butter somewhere else and saved tuppence we only buy a couple of packets a year anyway. As for loans, mortgages and the rest we are completely not interested.  We paid the mortgage off years ago, doing so as fast as we could and we simply don’t borrow, end off story. Chasing interest rates is usually a mugs game and it generally ends up with half going as tax anyway. We might as well buy things we want, if we want anything, rather than have some halfwit tell us what he thinks we should do. The smaller our attack surface can be made, the better; so for us it is a case of just say no to open banking.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 1,649

Richard I share your worries wrt open banking, although SWMBO and I are very careful. We don’t bank or pay by anything other than my desktop, her laptop, by card (with care) or in branch. Both PC’s are protected and online banking is doubly so.

I think that those who will be caught out are those who are always vulnerable, due to their own eagerness to buy, negligence, stupidity, or an inability to recognise the truth of “if it looks too good to be true, it probably is not true.” I have just had to prevent my grandson No.2 from possible disaster, by shopping on a ‘website with really cheap stuff ‘. I asked for the site address before he registered or purchased, checked it out and found the awful reviews, including alleged evidence of possible fraud. I also pointed out to him that the site did not have ‘ https ‘ in the address bar, just ‘ http ‘. This is a lad who earned an IT qualification at 14 from his Academy school, despite his severe dyslexia. That begs two questions: how good was the education and qualification, and how has a lad with an eidetic memory, forgotten what he (may/should have been) taught?

As for investments: we were badly burned by the 2008 finacial crisis. We had invested a windfall in order to boost our finances and prepare for later years. We lost an estimated 55% of our money and I have never invested in anything Market-related since. However, there are several favourable possibilities to come from open banking. The best of which will be the fact that the Big Banks will have to up their game and actually consider better customer services, in order to compete with start ups that could offer very favourable terms and rewards to customers. In other words, they may have to take banking back to the days when the customer was more important than the banker. Saville Row – suited personnel may begin to fall from high rise office blocks….

That may also be a double-edged sword of course. The usual fraudulent activities which latch onto anything new, especially anything financially-based, may see more disasters. I hazard a gues that the “Nigerian Princes” will be watching developments.

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

Sorry to hear of your 2008 woes. Perhaps we were fortunate in that anything which was tied up at the time was not pulled out so as recovery went ahead so anything locked away and thus unspent remained to come again. I hear what you are saying about banks and quality of service but I have two issues. I see new entrants, assuming they are not of the ‘bag of swag’ kind only going after the higher margin quick return segment, I do not see them offering what I suspect many people might want, cash machines and straight forward accessible basic provisions. I also see them offering mainly niche, perhaps even hipster products to that demographic. Expenditure tracking being one touted ‘service’. If people want to track their expenditure it is easy enough to do already, so I do not see that as a market maker. I don’t object to such services, but equally, I do not see the point either. None of the pre-sales clap trap has in anyway excited my interest. Banks were never as good as they thought they were. I briefly worked for one of them in a branch with an accountant who was sad about the passing of the quill pen, I kid you not. Now they have ‘bank managers’ who have to be driven by a computer. They lack the life skills to manage a complex operation – perhaps that is why it is easier for a money washer to open an account than anyone honest. Hopefully that might change but do not hold your breath.

As for the ‘Nigerian Princesses’, ‘Russian Clerks to oligarchs’, etc. I hear them revving up their slaves to get the emails out.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 1,541

Sorry about your bad experiences Bob, unfortunately investing is a bit like the web. If it looks too good to be true . . .

The rise in the Stock Market over the last couple of years against all common sense wrt P/E ratios, cash or even expected earnings is a case in point.With apologies to professionals like Steve and Dan, I have worked with some real balance sheet wizards in my time which made me appreciate the old adage that ‘cash is king’ and nearly everything else can be manipulated to give a number that not only keeps people happy but still satisfies external Auditors.

There are now a worrying number of people including opinion makers saying that the financial markets have reached unsustainable levels and it will soon all end in tears. link

Any shares we had, we have sold (before the peak admittedly) and have turned them into tangible assets for the kids or ‘SKIing (spending kids inheritance). Why not cash — well that too is just a mythical construct, like Bitcoins, cash has no intrinsic value. It is just a measure of confidence in being able to turn it into something useful.

Game theory rules —  maximise gains and minimise losses. It also, with luck, cut down on minimising ‘donations’ to the Exchequer.

[edit] I think the Warren Buffe/George Soros link is a little dated – this link  is more up to date.t

• This reply was modified 7 months ago by Ed P.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

The problem with cash has several strands, which currency to hold and where or how to hold the money? I am aware of the investment threats though the biggest of them all is the threat to my income from pension funds. Anything else is benefit over and above, but if the pension is threatened then the ‘other’ gains a whole new value. In view of the threat from Jeremy and his mixed up cronies, do I try to buy dollars, Yen, the dreadful Euro thing, SDRs or what? How do I avoid alerting the money laundering squad if I go shopping for lumps of foreign currency and how do I hold the cash? One can hardly use a bank as they are likely to be taken over or at very least tightly controlled with the account contents heavily taxed at a punitive rate to pay for disasters McDowell might unleash and over seas accounts are almost impossible to hold these days.

Mattresses might become impossibly lumpy very soon.

The Duke
    @sgb101

financial market have been said to be ready to pop for a couple of years now, Definally in tech business, crypto seems to be the new darling. The market is being  kept high partly because of low interests, once we get any type of interest levels back (lol if) it could be the the prick that bursts the way over inflated bubble.

Open banking, as long as regulated, could be a good thing, partly just to break up, or atleast dilute, the boys club.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

I would be interested to hear how you feel open banking would be of benefit as the examples quoted to date appear unlikely to appeal to many. I have negative desire to have people rifle through my account to try to sell me things which has been the sales pitch to date.  There is no apparent suggestion that anything else will emerge, but I am open to read anyone with a positive spin. As I said earlier I would prefer to collect interest rather than pay it out so do not borrow. The present interest rates  reduce the value of rate chasing, in fact I have just closed a couple of NS&I accounts. The total interest after three years was derisory. That may or may not change with the pick up in international business activity, but at the expense of those who have borrowed. All this will be until at least until the next downturn.

The Duke
    @sgb101

I like the idea of 3rd parties having access to my bank and being able to recommend some of the lesser know business, banks, insurers, etc id of never known about.

At this point, i just don’t care. Having had a few fraud run-ins, im more than happy and confident that the banks will sort that out in the way they have done over the last decade. Quickly.

Granted the most I’ve had taken was 3 max withdrawals. Can’t remember now if it was 900 or 1500. But i had it back in my account with a single phone call, took about 10mins, and the money was back in account before I’d finished the call. Note this was a cloned card, nothing to do with online, and the money was taken in my area. Halifax just trusted i was telling the truth.

On  4 occasions I’ve had strange going on, one was the clone issue, two was online purchases another a phone purchase. All 3 concert tickets. All a single phone call to fix.

Halifax each time have said they would send me a testimonial to sign and return. I’ve never had one.

So the system is already broken.

On a side not, Halifax are quite good (or bad depends on your outlook) as putting temporary blocks on cards it thinks are being mistreated. I once bought 2 ferry tickets, then tried to order two more within moments, that blocked my card. Also trainers and fuel, I’ve only heard this, bit apparently buying fuel and trainers will block a card. I’m hoping concert tickets is now on that list.

Also if you use contactless, after a certain amount of time, or transactions, your card will get a ‘tap block’, until you put your pin into either a payment console or an atm. This has happened to me a few times to me.

I have faith that open banking will be fine, no doubt there will be teething issues and horror stories, but there always is.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman

An interesting take, I had a card problem years ago in about about 2000. I suspect that the culprit was a shop that was going under. The expenditure was in a gym and various clubs in South London well away from where I live and travelled. Yes it was sorted out, in fact the issuer contacted me before the billing cycle ended, which was good. Apparently I was ‘buying’ in two places at once 80 miles apart – the software gibed at that activity.

My insurance needs are partially circumscribed by circumstances, I had to trawl the market a while back and found very few wrote business that matched my non-standard profile. Most main stream insurers said ‘not us’. Car insurance is more standardised, but our present set up is the best suited and less expensive than all offers I am annoyingly sent. However, insurance has no relationship to the bank account.

All a bank does for me is receive money, pay out on my instruction, keep it safe and send me an account without charging. I am unclear what more I should want to pay for. I admit I do not know the overdraft rate, though since I do not overdraw it doesn’t matter.

One point I will concede, for those who want it they should be able to go ahead; however for those with no interest I feel there should be an ability not only not to extend an invite to third parties, but to specifically lock out Open ‘Service’.

Analysing bills and creating budgets is definitely something I do not need, I have the records on my computer already.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.