Tech Android Talk New Phone!

This topic contains 39 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Bob Williams 3 weeks, 3 days ago. This post has been viewed 571 times

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 40 total)
  • Author

PlaneMan
    • Total Posts 694
    • @planeman
      Forumite Coins: 212

I found a glitch on the 02 site for a OnePlus 5T 128 GB, 8GB RAM for £430, should be £499. 2% TopCashback possible as well. PAYG but they are unlocked with no network branding, allegedly.

Order has gone through and been confirmed.

If it’s honored is another thing.

Was about to post it here and on HUKD but it’s been fixed.

Wish me luck! Or not. 😁

The Duke
    • Total Posts 1799
    • @sgb101
      Forumite Coins: 225

I heard the other day that the essential phone can be had for £399 now. Defo worth a look.

PlaneMan
    • Total Posts 694
    • @planeman

Just setting up the monster now. So far it’s very impressive, face unlock works great ,about the only time having a wonky nose, lazy eye and lopsided ears is a bonus!, fingerprint scanner also works superbly and is exactly where it should be – on the back.

Love the fact it comes with a proper screen protector already in place and there’s a basic bumper case as well, the case is better than nothing but a sturdier one will be found, it’s really thin even for a bumper case.

I’ll report back when I’ve had more time with it, it’s totally unlocked and unbranded as suspected. Thanks O2 for honouring the balls up you made. 😁

blacklion1725
    Participant
    • Total Posts 385
    • @blacklion1725
      Forumite Coins: 88

Amazing specs for a phone! I still stick to a £200-ish budget – mainly as I am so clumsy but also because I don’t really need top specs, but if I had £430 lying around would be sorely tempted.

PlaneMan
    • Total Posts 694
    • @planeman

It’s all set up now and by heck it’s fast.

Love the little physical notification slider on the top left hand side, lets you choose between ‘normal’ ‘do not disturb’ and ‘vibrate’ without even unlocking the phone. The ability to show network speed in the status bar is a nice nerdy touch. The camera is very quick to respond and the shots look great, I’m aware that there’s an update due soon to improve the camera even more, which is nice.

The size is fine for me, feels really nice in the hand and not daft. If you have trews with small pockets it could be an issue.

One daft thing is that at the moment it can’t do Amazon Prime Video, Netflix or Google Play movies in HD (allegedly) due to not having the Widevine level 1 DRM. It’s coming in an update supposedly. I’ve just tried Netflix and Amazon Prime and they both look superb and no mention of a fix in the update log.

Battery life so far is great but of course it’s very early days.

I’m very impressed with it, well worth the money and makes the LG G5 feel clunky and old fashioned. Which it isn’t.

PlaneMan
    • Total Posts 694
    • @planeman

Ok, now I’m even more impressed.

The ‘reading mode’ is superb, better than my Kindle (granted, it’s a few years old) but it just works.

There’s a super safe section in the file manager app called Secure Box, needs a 6 digit pin, so you can store whatever you want securely in there. It warns you if you forget the pin, it’s gone for ever.

You can customize what the buttons do (physical and soft), long press/ short press and so on.

Only issue so far is even at the lowest volume setting the ringtone is loud. I’m sure I can sort that with an app.

Edit.

The Google assistant even understands me, half the time I don’t understand me!!

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by PlaneMan.

PlaneMan
    • Total Posts 694
    • @planeman

Battery life is ridiculous. I’ve been on the phone to various people today for about 3 hours, needed to update bank details, also been using the Google assistant a lot. Battery is at 73%. My LG G5 would be at about 30%.

2 day battery life is looking possible.

PlaneMan
    • Total Posts 694
    • @planeman

Not charged it for 3 days, still at 34%. Granted I’m not a massive user of screen time but I did hammer it when at the doctors and while waiting for the AA man.

Amazing battery, performance and the camera is superb, all the people posting bad comments about the camera either have no idea how to take a photo (I don’t have much) or haven’t updated the phone. I have seen rumors that the imported versions have more camera issues than the official UK ones, no idea if that’s true.

Dave Rice
    • Total Posts 844
    • @ricedg
      Forumite Coins: 137

Some people have ridiculous over expectations of things and their own skills.

We’re off to London for 4 days in February as I bagged some cheap train tickets. £8 standard or £20 first class so we thought why not? By the time you’ve bought a coffee and slab of cake most of the £12 difference has gone any way.

I found there’s a first class lounge at Paddington I didn’t know existed. Great, if we get there early on the way home we’ll go there instead of Burger King and get free coffee and a snack. The reviews are full of people moaning that they only do wine 2 days a week now! I’m chuffed to get a coffee, piece of cake and a soft seat 😀

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members Currently Active: 3
Sawboman, JayCeeDee, tina10
Keymaster | Moderator | Participant | Spectator | Blocked
Additional Forum Statistics
Threads: 983, Posts: 12,319, Members: 136
Welcome to our newest member, neucarepamphgesp
Most users ever online was 11 on June 5, 2017 1:36 pm