Tech Android Talk New Phone!

This topic contains 39 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Bob Williams 3 weeks, 3 days ago. This post has been viewed 572 times

Viewing 9 posts - 28 through 36 (of 40 total)
  • Author

Richard
    Participant
    • Total Posts 679
    • @sawboman
      Forumite Coins: 270

I use Android Pay instead of my card for contactless, the card details used by Android Pay isn’t your actual card details, it’s a virtual set of information.

It takes  me too long to dig the mobile out of my inner pocket to ever use it for anything much, I would be driving down the road with chip and pin paid goods before the mobile was out of my pocket. Cash is just as easy for me as the card should the purchase be really small.

As was said we all have different needs profiles, thank god we have choices for the moment.

The Duke
    • Total Posts 1799
    • @sgb101
      Forumite Coins: 225

I use android pay that much now i rarely take out my wallet. I do have the emergency card in my car, it was the fuel card but became the emergency card. I use it less and less. Especially since Tesco has an app with no purchase limit. Though hoping android pay can bypass the 30£ limit soon. It would be perfect then.

I’m now down to taxis for cash, and that’s super rare. If im away from my village ill grab an uber. They are not in nor probably coming to my area. Back home the uber has pushed the black cabs and minicabs, to pick up their game. Unlike the taxis around my new home.

Funny how you’ll, or at least me, refer to where i grew up as back home, even though I’ve lived here now as long as i did ‘back home’. I wonder if that will ever stop.

The Duke
    • Total Posts 1799
    • @sgb101

Bob regarding your smaller village high street shops. The sales they will miss out not having contactless/chip n pin, will eventually pit them out of business, before the small charge will. Even if it doesn’t look like it today for them, remind them their usual clientele are not going to be around forever, and their next wave of clientele will just walk on by if they know that place only excerpts cash.

Richard
    Participant
    • Total Posts 679
    • @sawboman

I am not sure who uses cash in your village shops but could easily switch to other payment means, but in our case is it a wide mixture with small kids spending pocket money through to pensioners., are they all really going to go cashless for their postage stamps or penny chews? It might be that the 90% of these ‘small deal’ customers could be cut aside and the shop remain trading, but the main general shop is also the post office and a newsagent, a few people do still buy papers I am told though I have not done so for years. Near my daughter’s house a shop does a brisk trade in meter key recharging with credit-less customers putting a few pound cash on their key. Daughter’s house was repossessed from a bankrupt jobbing builder so had pre-pay meters when we started to recondition it to become habitable again. I charged up the keys with a previously unheard of payment to keep it heated over Christmas. The entire shop fell silent when I topped more than the five or ten pounds usually spent. The house was still unoccupied and it was £$%^&*() freezing and I knew the snow would make access difficult for a couple of days.

The Duke
    • Total Posts 1799
    • @sgb101

I send my kids the shop with my bank card, have done for years, we have a special one just for the local shop that the kids can grab if needed . The older ones have there own cards for pocket money.

If under 16s was allowed tap n pay , my 9yo would have one already, but yes she gets cash, but refuses to spend it. So i have a sealed piggy bank with 4 years of £5 and 10s crammed into it. Were on about our 4th bank, as the mint keeps changing their cash!

She still makes me gives her my card to buy sweets.

Today’s pensioners, the majority, won’t go cashless, but I’d guess once they go, there will be hardly any cash buyers.

The issue I have with this is a year on year the Bank of England will slowly reduce circulation until they get to a point where they can justify withdrawing cash altogether.

There are many reasons why this is terrible. So really i should be so ‘all on om contactless ‘. However its just so convenient. Also i won’t shop in shops that charge for using a card, though that is being banned, and i won’t use an atm with a charge, i never have.

We have a local spar shop that charges for cards, or did, so the only reason i go I’m it is to drop off parcels, as it’s a collect plus point.

It may only be 25p, bit it isnt the point. I know of many that won’t go there because of it. I have no idea if they have changed, but it’s now long tainted. And only still open cos its next to the high school. Though now school is cash free, kids don’t have their dinner money to spend on sweets like they did prior.

School dinners, is just set on a direct debit, that goes into the pupils food/trip/etc account and the kids have a contactless card that registers them in school and classes, and pays for lunch and we pay trips too via the same account.

Richard
    Participant
    • Total Posts 679
    • @sawboman

Steve, I have no doubt about that for you and others who do have a card or cards, but for those who do not even have bank accounts or only have accounts with few if any options it is going to be a challenge.

Add in the surcharges which you rightly say the rest of us are not prepared to pay and the charge card pudding mess gets worse in many areas. Those areas with say 15~20 betting shops and no free ATM are likely to get a ‘noticeable’ increase in anti social activities in the area.

I believe you can get money from a Post Office under some circumstances, if there is one anywhere near to the customer’s location.

However, none of this solves the issue of those who having been made bankrupt for example who face challenges getting any financial tools. Paying a ‘service charge’ on a tiny purchase would be a non starter if it doubled or more the cost you would pay. I admit to being out of touch with card issuers rules these days, maybe children can get them very young, I would not trust the cards to have anything much in the way of control options.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1412
    • @bullstuff2
      Forumite Coins: 298

The more I have read of replies here, the more I realise that my area is different to most. Louth does have several smaller shops which take cards without charging, but these are the “Exclusive” type of Country Clothing (hunting & shooting Set) or fashionable clothing at daft prices for people who don’t realise how daft they look wearing it. There are also quite a few Antique shops of long-standing and antique buyers come from miles away to buy. There are a lot of entertainments people in the area: Barbara Dickson, Jim Broadbent and Will Young, plus others I forget. There is money in the area, as usual concentrated in the hands of a few. The Town Council has made a decision to make Louth even more of a “Food Town” and Rates discounts are given to those who open eating places. As a result we have more Tea Rooms, cafes and restaurants than can possibly make money. On Wednesday market days, we locals try to stay away from Louth. The narrow Georgian streets and narrow pavements are full of visitors and Rubber Neckers standing up to 6 deep and having conversations. Good for the local economy, bad for locals trying to get around.

The Exclusives, antiques and fashionable shops take cards, but the local people are used to dealing with cash in the small shops. I can’t see that changing very quickly. Ludensians (Louth folk) and East Lindsey people in general, are resistant to change.

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

Richard
    Participant
    • Total Posts 679
    • @sawboman

To be fair to the village we also have a range of shops, well more like a top and bottom of shops. there are still two banks and one building Society, though I have no connection to any of them. We also have a number of antique shops and yes they, the hairdressers and several other shops do take cards. It is just that some cohorts of users are, how can I say this tactfully small money users and some even in the village are cash poor, though if they own their house possibly asset rich. There are clearly some for whom money does not grow on trees and possibly does not grow at all, though we have so far been spared the sight and difficulty of the destitute on the street.

You can easily spend the wrong side of £1,000 and more on a wedding dress and close to that on ladies frocks in some places, or £8 in a second hand clothes charity shop. The dress was probably sold originally in the pricey location. These example;es show the range of user demand profiles and financial acumen that need to be covered – some people might equally need only a postage stamp for 50~60 pence. The upmarket foodie place shut down suddenly a few months ago in the middle of a marketing drive. No one really knows why, though speculation suggests it was a combination of commercial rent and business rates along with local wage costs. The remaining food points are at the lower price end, say about £5 per plate. I don’t know if they take cards in any form – though I do know the car park with the slowest ticket machines in the world will take card payments. The first half hour is free and you can have an hour for 20 pence which makes card payments slightly odd.

In short it is a very mixed place, heterogeneous some might say which is why I suspect that evolutionary change may come slowly. One of the busiest trade activities is chemist shops we have two within fifty yards of each other and both are busy.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1412
    • @bullstuff2
      Forumite Coins: 298

Village Richard? Range of shops? TWO banks, a building society, antiques shops, hairdressers? Blimey, that’s a town on its way to becoming a city, compared to Lincolnshire villages.😉😁 From Louth to Mablethorpe (15 miles) through 3 villages, there are 3 pubs and no Post Offices, no shops except for the volunteer-manned (womanned?) shop in ours.

I suspect that our village is on its way to becoming a commuter village. There is a Community Centre, with modern hall, a large sports ground which has regular fetes and car boots in warmer months. Unfortunately most of the Commitee andvolunteer helpers, are ageing and very few young people are coming forward to join them. Suddenly, in the last two months of 2017, two small developments have been started, to join the two large Executive Homes built at the edge of the village in early 2017. Hopefully there is new blood coming in and we need it, although some of the older villagers are not best pleased. Ironically, most of the anti’s are incomers themselves. One couple were complaining to me about ‘incomers’ when I said “But you weren’t born here.”    –    “No and neither were you!”    –    “No, but I had been a resident for 11 years when you moved in!”

End of conversation.😆😄

You can please some of the people, some of the time…

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

Viewing 9 posts - 28 through 36 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members Currently Active: 3
Sawboman, JayCeeDee, tina10
Keymaster | Moderator | Participant | Spectator | Blocked
Additional Forum Statistics
Threads: 983, Posts: 12,319, Members: 136
Welcome to our newest member, neucarepamphgesp
Most users ever online was 11 on June 5, 2017 1:36 pm