Forumite

No start up

HOME Forums Tech PC Talk No start up

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    isdarit
    @isdarit

Hey guys my lad tried to switch his pc on today and nothing. Went and bought a new psu. Got light on the gpu and internet socket but still not starting?  Thinking it’s the power switch was wondering if I could jump the switch by shorting the wires with a screwdriver? The lad has adhd and is climbing the walls atm. Thanks folks john

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    keith with the teef
    @thinktank
    Forumite Points: 2,391

The mobo may feature a power button. Some do.

Participant
    The VFM Addict
    @thevfmaddict
    Forumite Points: 2,484

Could be anything causing it – e.g. a bad drive or even a case fan attached to a mobo header..   I’ve seen it all.   The best approach is disconnect everything except mobo and ram and see if it starts then.   It can’t be the power switch because you are seeing lights.    If it starts barebones then add items back one at a time until you find the culprit.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Here's hoping the Mad Tangerine of the West and the Mad Monk of the East stay friends or we're all in trouble

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 5,252

You can short the switch pins if you like but remember its a monetary contact switch. If you keep the pins shorted you are telling the PC to switch off again 😁

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 12,106

Carry out VFM’s procedure, but leave the side panels off if you can as you add components. That may show up something on the mobo.

If it’s the Psychic Network why do they need a phone number?

What’s right is what’s left if you do everything else wrong.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley

I ment momentary 😂

Participant
    isdarit
    @isdarit
    Forumite Points: 285

Thanks guys will give it a go later

Keymaster
    Tippon
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 3,413

If the case has got a reset switch, you can swap that for the power switch too.

Do you get the GPU and network lights before or after you press the power button? Some lights come on when there’s power to the motherboard, and some only come on when the PC is actually switched on. I can’t remember which ones do what off the top of my head though 🙂

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 7,667

USB mice will usually light up with power being supplied but PC turned off.

+1 to swapping reset and power buttons

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley

+1 to Dave

Standby power is supplied to all USB devices so that bus powered devices like mice can issue wake up events. Two of the ports on my system also support power off charging so they get full power all the time.

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 12,106

I always get a manual for a mobo online from the manufacturers support pages, then increase the page size the page with Panel Connections, print it out and use that to connect. The diagrams in the Guide in the mobo box is always tiny.

If it’s the Psychic Network why do they need a phone number?

What’s right is what’s left if you do everything else wrong.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 13,902

+1 for VFMs comments and I would highlight USB devices as bad actors. Some can go wrong and cause apparent mobo/power failures. Disconnect all non-essential USB devices especially any PVR-type sticks.

The other obvious thing is to look for loose wires/connectors – double check the power lead connections. The modern mobo start-up steps are more complex than they were in the past and as VFM said a whole range of things can result in the mobo being at the wrong voltage state at the wrong time.

Participant
    isdarit
    @isdarit
    Forumite Points: 285

Thanks guys been up the wall think the mobo is dead bought a new  one  Boxing Day project before footy 😉 thanks for all you help

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.