Normalize Audio Tracks

HOME Forums TV, Film and Music TV, Film & Music Normalize Audio Tracks

This topic contains 18 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by The Duke 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Creator
    Topic

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

Some of my mp3s have higher sound outputs

I have normalized my tracks with Ashampoo Music Studio 7.

Have I leveled the sound or is Normalize something else.

Since normalizeing the mp3 is heavier (mb)

• This topic was modified 1 month ago by johnbarry.

Cheers
    John

Spread the love
Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Replies

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725
    Forumite Points: 614

Normalizing broadly should mean all the tracks will play at the same volume – so if they are from different sources, after normalising they can all be played without adjusting the volume for each track. I did this for al the mp3s on the USB stic in my car – I used a free program but can’t rmember its name. There are different types of normalisation techniques – giving slightly different results. It doesn’t always work well – especially if the original mp3 encoding was done poorly.

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry
    Forumite Points: 1,254

Thanks blacklion, hopefully then they should all be level volume? this is for the USB in the car.

Cheers
    John

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725

Hope so John – only one way to find out!

StevieP
    Participant
    @steviep
    Forumite Points: 25

Try MP3Gain, free software, wiki here https://tinyurl.com/qbyft5r

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 1,804

Thanks StevieP, been looking for something like that myself, for the 1,000’s of tracks on my NAS and in the USB stick in the car.

Cheers, Bob.

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

wasbit
    Participant
    @wasbit
    Forumite Points: 316

Another vote for MP3Gain. Freeware that’s been about for years.

--
    Regards
    wasbit

Rig 1: Zalman Media Centre Rebuild (i3-540)
    Rig 2: Hp Elitebook 8440P (The Dave Laptop Special)
    The Dave Special & The 43 Special are still giving sterling service with new owners

Dear Starfleet, hate you, hate the Federation, taking Voyager. - Janeway

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 1,729

I can understand why you would want to do it in a car, but does ‘normalizing’ screw up audio tracks that were run through a compressor when recorded? I mean this sort of compressor!

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

When you say “do it in the car” Ed, I don’t think you mean actually normalise it in the car? I do that through the Music tracks stored on the NAS, and the Desktop.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 1,729

Sorry – too much shorthand. Of course I meant normalise music tracks for specific use in a car.

Unless there are other reasons, I think that I’d leave alone any tracks that are going to be played at home as the use of ‘compressors’ are generally an intentional move by the A/V producer. to increase the ‘attack’ of a sound in (say) drum sequences. (Another more objectionable  example of this is the way apparent loudness is increased during TV advertising breaks)

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

Thanks for the tips on mp3 gain, I will look into it.

I have normalised lots of mp3s (for the car) might leave alone (Ed) the thing is normalizing has added GBs to the tracks (total)

I am gonig to sort them all and see how heavy they are, they might not go on my USB (thumb) soI will probably stick with the originals mp3 tracks.

The program (by default) put each track in it’s own folder (by artist name) then an unkown folder then the track. I have to take them out all the extra folders.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by johnbarry.

Cheers
    John

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 670

John – that seems very long-winded and very hands on.

I use Windows Media Player with W10 for my music on the PC. I create playlists for the car, then drag and drop them onto the memory card. I can then either play it off the memory card or install it onto the internal HDD in the car.

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725

Yeah a lot of programs want to arrange your music, photos, whatever how they think best rather than how you do. For a quick work round after it has already happened just search the parent folder for

*.mp3

and then cut.copy all the results to your USB. There are a few other annoyances, example in my car (pioneer head unit) the songs by default play by order of the age of the file/tagging so the song you have labelled “001 – Artist – Title” may not play first. There’s a few programs to sort this out – I used one called FAT Sorter – not sure where I got it (maybe here) but there are several links if you google it. On the wider issue of tagging – the program Mp3Tag is a life saver – you can easily get tags to match titles. My head unit will only recognise one level of folders, so I just keep around twenty albums and leave all my favourite all-sorts in the root directory. If I have a passenger then they play DJ and just bluetooth from Spotify.

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

Hope so John – only one way to find out!

I am trying that one way so far so good, there is another way (level meter) but I haven’t been able to find a program for a PC. Like the record level you get on amps but for audio play on a PC.

JayCee
    I don’t mind so much the hands on as I can sit back and use the mouse, that’s better for my back I do a folder here and there. No rush as I still have a copy of before.

Cheers
    John

wasbit
    Participant
    @wasbit
    Forumite Points: 316

Sorry – too much shorthand. Of course I meant normalise music tracks for specific use in a car. Unless there are other reasons, I think that I’d leave alone any tracks that are going to be played at home as the use of ‘compressors’ are generally an intentional move by the A/V producer. to increase the ‘attack’ of a sound in (say) drum sequences. (Another more objectionable example of this is the way apparent loudness is increased during TV advertising breaks)

If you’re after better quality you probably wouldn’t be using MP3s in the first place as they use lossy compression.

--
    Regards
    wasbit

Rig 1: Zalman Media Centre Rebuild (i3-540)
    Rig 2: Hp Elitebook 8440P (The Dave Laptop Special)
    The Dave Special & The 43 Special are still giving sterling service with new owners

Dear Starfleet, hate you, hate the Federation, taking Voyager. - Janeway

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 1,559

Had my car almost four years. Put the OG pop song on for my girl, never really noticed the quality (or lack of) the sound.

Today I had to take my girl on a 4h round trip, she asked me for some queen, I remeber ed I liked Queen. OMG my car stereo is horrible. It was just mush. When when ever the sound got any they near complex it felt like I had my head in a bucket.

Now in fairness to my car, I was using a hi quality download, but dl non the less, and was sending it via BT (as the future says no aux is allowed). So I got home, and used my bose BT head set, and it’s the car. OMG it made me sad. Also highlighted how un comples current pop crap is, (and talk sport lol) that it’s taken me almost 4 years to notice. So glad Im not a big audio guy or something would if had to be done.

On the plus side (always look for the silver lining), queen made the 4 hours fly by. We got home, and my girl was pissed off we had to get out the car. She, as was I, was amazed how many of the songs she knew the majority of the words to.

That shit will live forever, breaks down all ages, races, religions and creeds. Good is just good.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

My No.2 gson listened to my Stones, Creedence and other stuff first about 3 years ago in my car, now searches my USB media for them. He is a big but very quiet lad and it just seems a bit strange that he loves really hard Rock and Blues, but his head is banging and eyes closed in the car when I am taking him home from work. Copied a lot of stuff for him and he plays it at home. His dad is an ’80’s man and hates all the tracks he hears from downstairs. That’s revenge, IMO!

13 yo gdaughter also likes Queen, her mum loves Motown and she shares that taste with mum. Kids are exposed to all kinds of music now, from grandparents and parents to their mates.

The Duke
    @sgb101

She started asking my about Queen on the drive. now you want to see a 40 year old man squirm and have to think on the feet (well arse), get a 9 year old girl to ask him about why freddy died at 40!

Thing is she ain’t daft, luckily she never asked what the illness was, or I’d of had to rear end someone (bad choice of phase) on the motorway to get out of that conversation. It really would of been my method I think.

The Duke
    @sgb101

My mate says I should get her into Pink Floyd. Which I liked when I was in school, but back then, I’d say my mind was in a different place.

I’ll have to re listen to it.

Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love