Nvidia pascal 10 series drivers ray trace.

HOME Forums Tech PC Talk Nvidia pascal 10 series drivers ray trace.

This topic contains 15 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by keith with the teef 3 days, 15 hours ago.

• Creator
    Topic

keith with the teef
    Participant
    @thinktank

A up.

If you did not know the green team have released some new drivers that enable prevuois gen pascal gpu 10 series to do all the tricks that the 20 series gpu can do.

I have the 1070 O/C.

Shadow of  the tomb raider reports that the game is 99%+ GPU bound with new bells and whistles enabled. It looks for the most part the same as before such is the quality of the smoke and mirrors provided by basically DX11.1

You can down load the starwars Demo from guru 3D. Plays slow but has strong merrit.

Spread the love
Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 1,951

I’ve got a gaming PC / media creation PC to build tomorrow. It’s going to have a GTX1660Ti so that may be useful.

It’s going to have a Ryzen 1700X as CCL are selling them for only £170. There’s an AIO liquid cooler, 3000Mhz ram and a GIGABYTE B450 AORUS ELITE going in so may have to try a bit of overclocking. Not done that for years.

Loads of LED bling going in (it’s for an 18yo), if it looks OK I’ll take some photos.

If you’ve got an M2 NVMe slot get an Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 256GB M.2-2280, ridiculously quick only £47 for 256GB. Up to 3500MB/s Read, 1200MB/s Write, 4K IOPS Read: 220000, 4K IOPS Write: 290000. Boots a 9400F based PC in under 10 seconds.

keith with the teef
    Participant
    @thinktank
    Forumite Points: 566

I’m not to sure but I think that cpu when it first came out was about £400?

Good all round sytem that will be. looking forward to snaps.

My last build, media center, Athlon 200GE has a 1TB KC 400 in it.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

First boot, LED still on white, covers all off.

Covers on, LED set, reflections from window.

Bloody hell it’s quick, it’s that Adata SSD again. Needs software putting on it but it’s the wifes birthday so out for a meal in a mo, will finish off tomorrow. Will try and get a video of the LEDs doing their funky thang.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by Dave Rice.

keith with the teef
    Participant
    @thinktank

Another super tidy build. The PSU must be hidden in the bottom. Good idea.

Looking forward to the funky thing. 🙂

keith with the teef
    Participant
    @thinktank

Yeah. The 3000 Mhz ram should help the cpu out alot, as when it came out ram speed was nothing like that.

Overclocking that should be good as some games and dont ask me why are ram speed sensative.

Tehn again I think thats the fastest speed the cpu supports? Hmm. 🙂

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Couldn’t get a video right, getting a photo is tricky enough.

I’ve actually moved the fan up now as it looks better with the top lit at both sides and the mobo logo and accents shining in the comparative darkness below. Didn’t have time for a photo.

One thing I’ve learned is LED lighting is a nightmare of compatibility issues. The AIO came with a splitter allowing 3 devices but it needed two itself (pump and fan) leaving 1 for the case fan. If I’d wanted to put an LED strip in there – which you need for the bright lighting you see on You Tube etc. – there are plenty of headers but they are a different type. Then you need Gigabyte RGB Fusion compatibility. The (updated) Fusion software does a good job of synchronising all the different headers. But boy does the glass window attract fingerprints!

The Phantek case is nice to work on with supplied velcro straps in a wide channel at the back. The PSU box means you don’t have to be totally anal with the cabling as even with a modular PSU it isn’t easy. There are openings all around the edge of the mobo area with a wider one where you’d expect the power cable to go. The 8pin 12v cable could be put in after the mobo was installed, but you need to put the AIO radiator on after that, and think carefully about it’s fans relationship to the relevant mobo headers.

A modern “office” PC takes me 30-45 minutes these days from boxes to first boot, this one took me 3 hours but the end result was worth it.

keith with the teef
    Participant
    @thinktank

3 hours? You was milking it. 🙂

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Believe me, add LED to the mix and careful planning is required, get things in the wrong order and you’re taking bits out to add bits in. I’d seen loads of LED headers on the motherboard, right next to fan headers, but failed to appreciate only one of them (in the middle of the board) could do what I needed with what I had and needed a splitter cable.

I’d probably shave an hour+ off next time and realise what I needed to order for the bling. I’d get some extension / splitter / converter cables of various flavours of fan and LED in too. The sort of things you have in the spares box for power / sata / fan problems etc. after years of building.

Fusion is Gigabytes version of RGB, Asus is Aura and MSi is Mystic Light and they are incompatible, case and LED bling makers have their own too. Then there’s non RBG bling, 12v or 5v? Which one of the 4 pins is the power one?

keith with the teef
    Participant
    @thinktank

Dave my last comment was just a bit of a leg pull. Thats the problem with texting there is no facial image to read.

Great build. Im sure the 18 yr old will be well pleased. I would have thought that for gaming his machine will last 4 years. With optimised software of course.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Yeah don’t worry, I wasn’t taking it seriously 😀

It’s to get him through his IT degree (concentrating on the media side of things) as well, hence the 1700X rather than a 9400F. I wish I’d had more time to play with it but it was the Mrs birthday that weekend too! I’m amazed what you can get for the money these days and so pleased Intel are being kept honest again.

Next project is looking for a replacement CAD laptop for not a lot of money.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 3,126

Back on OP you can check out raytraced Quake II. link

keith with the teef
    Participant
    @thinktank

Yeah. Its unbeleivable that ram is now a £ fiver a GB.

Been chewing on the fat. I’ve been running some of the ray trace programs knocking about and its now clear why, IMO, why Nvidia made the 20 series like thay did and that is compatability with the GPU pipline.

Looks like that pipeline has to change big style to be able to accommadate DX with backwards compatabilty and ray drace DX12. I see the new play station is going Ray trace friendly with development of optimised software tools.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

I finally got around to watching the Quake demo. Totally amazing.

I can see the techniques being used in architectural CAD too for building walk through at different times of day / year / materials used etc.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 3,126

Also good for commercial activities such as on-line shopping – laser scan a person (in a store booth say), laser scan clothing (say) then  show how the dressed person looks modelled and animated in different environments.  Could be used for furniture, interior design etc but someone would need to figure out how to cheaply scan inside a person’s house

keith with the teef
    Participant
    @thinktank

A couple of screen shots one with dx12 and the other ray traced shadows.

The fps counter is your bone to chew on as to which one is which.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love