Forumite

O2 WiFi Extra

HOME Forums Tech Other Tech O2 WiFi Extra

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley

Has anyone used O2 WiFi extra ? I didn’t even know it existed until this morning when O2 sent me a survey asking how I was enjoying the service !

It says it is a service that automatically switches my phone data connection between 4G and WiFi if I am in range of an O2 hotspot, depending on which is faster. When I connect to a hotspot it also doesn’t use any of my data allowance.

The service also manages voice calls by switching them into 4G data calls, if the service is available , for better quality, or WiFi if there is no Mobile signal.

Can’t say i’d noticed 🤔

Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 4,748

That looks like it’s an automatic outdoors version of what I had with EE – their Signal Box.

it was a very good system whereby if you had insufficient signal indoors, then your calls were made via the Signal Box connected to your broadband.

The O2 version seems to be lots of ‘out in the big wide world’ WiFi access points that do the same thing.

The answer is, yes, they were brilliant, but as you say, you might realise when indoors, but outside, do you actually notice when making a call whether it’s via 4G or WiFi??

I doubt very much that people do.

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 8,306

So you’ll be automatically attached to a public WiFi network without your knowledge? What the hell!

That’s enough to keep me clear of O2.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 15,216

I think it is what the Government want. From my reading all the telephone providers have been told to migrate off copper onto voip by 2025. From the Government’s perspective it makes it easier for them to keep tabs on us if there is a single system. It would not surprise me to see other telcos following the O2 lead.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

I cannot find the link that had a rather more demanding tone, but this ofcom paper says the move to voip is inevitable.

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 12,953

JayCeeDee wrote:

That looks like it’s an automatic outdoors version of what I had with EE – their Signal Box.

it was a very good system whereby if you had insufficient signal indoors, then your calls were made via the Signal Box connected to your broadband.

Still a good system and still working fine mate, thank you!

Family all have my WiFi on their phones which work only in the bungalow when they visit. I do not extend that privilege to other visitors, but our lovely neighbour has the use of it, her only device is her phone. The router is up high on the wall, a short distance to her bungalow. Spreading some Karma, me.😊☺😇

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Not just VOIP Ed, I believe they want broadcast TV to go the same way.

We’ve just changed the TV to a Panasonic Freesat model and all the apps we want built in. There are now no boxes beneath the TV!  We’ve had Amazon Prime through an Amazon TV box for a while, but Netflix has been a revelation. The £21.50 I pay Sky for a pretty basic basic package will cover those two and a chunk of the family Spotify account.

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 5,578

Its not EXACTLY connecting to a public hotspot Dave, its connecting to an O2 hotspot. Logging into the WiFi Extra service is Automatic only and based on a Sim ID and phone IMEI.

As soon as I found out the service existed I checked my phones settings and found it was switched on but I can switch it off if I like. This is a new setting that was apparently delivered with the last software update 2 months ago. You need a Samsung S7 or equivalent to make it work. You cannot manually log in to WiFi Extra if you are an O2 customer. Customers on any other network can use the service but they must register with O2 and log in manually, they will also get adds 🤔

I does look like part of the push to put everyone on Voip calling.

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 5,578

https://www.o2wifi.co.uk/about/extra

Above is a link to the O2 web page that gives an over simplistic explination of how things work 😁

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Ah right, it’s the phones that natively support WiFi calling.

Three used to have an app, which was dead handy at my Aunty’s place in Cornwall, but they’ve dropped it. You chose your own WiFi network white list.

Participant
    The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 11,204

Wifi calling is very good. I’ve never needed an app to use it with EE, and I’ve been lucky in phone choice as I’ve been able to use it for about 4 years (maybe more). In the early days I was amazed at how it could hand the call off from WiFi to GSM, (if it is GSM) with out me noticing.

Strangely I can’t get a phone signal in my local pub, or my own pub, (the must all be lead lined), but wifi calling solves this issue 100%

Now if your connecting to open networks, always use a proxi. Just out out of habit. As you just never know.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

Maybe your pub needs a signal booster on the roof/loft etc.

Participant
    The Duke
    @sgb101

It probaly could, but my patrons don’t mind not being able to get a signal 😉

And I use WiFi calling, as probaly a few of my customers do. For the list of jobs I have, phone signal ranks close to last. Thanks to WiFi calling. Tho I must remember when I’m next in the market for a phone, to check it supports WiFi calling. Otherwise I’ll be looking ofr a booster.

I’ll probaly get the latest moto g next time. Hopefully that supports it. Actully have a moto G7 in thd pub, but it has no sim, or not one with credit on. It just acts as the pub watch phone using what’s app group.

When we see a pub watch member in town, it’s broadcast to the group, also if you chuck some out for being pissed, drugs or aggressive behaviour, it gets broadcast and we (the collective) won’t let them in the other pubs for 24h.

We work like this as we have about 10 pubs all in shart walking distance from each other, so it stops someone acting up in one pub lowing they can walk next door for anther pint, if expelled. Works well.

Sorry totally off topic.

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg

What you want is a linked facial recognition system 😉

Chuck them out, blacklist them then the pubs down the road get notified if they approach their front door cam. When they cross the threshold a prerecorded message tells them to eff off 😀

Participant
    The Duke
    @sgb101

That would be the better solution. As then you basically have a sorry mate computer says no moment. And point to a monitor with the face flashing on it.

It’s always best when you can hand off to an higher authority. As pissed people never like a know. Had a big night last night, and a few ‘incedents’.

Participant
    Tippon
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 3,762

we have about 10 pubs all in shart walking distance

Sorry Steve, but this one tickled me 😂

(Definition of a shart for those who don’t know: https://www.google.com/search?q=shart)

Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 4,748

Sorry Steve, but this one tickled me 😂 (Definition of a shart for those who don’t know: https://www.google.com/search?q=shart)

…..and if you’d been to most or all of those ten pubs, that could have been a likely outcome!!😡😉

Participant
    The Duke
    @sgb101

Lol.

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 12,953

Sorry Steve, but this one tickled me 😂 (Definition of a shart for those who don’t know: https://www.google.com/search?q=shart)

I absolutely love that and will remember it to use at an opportune moment.😊🤗

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support Forumite

Choose between a one off contribution or a subscription. 

It only Takes a Minute or two.
Lets Go!
close-link