OBD Adaptor?

HOME Forums Motoring Parts OBD Adaptor?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by PlaneMan 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon

A few years ago someone posted about ABD adaptors and Android apps to use them, but I can’t find the post (it might have been on MM).

In the next few weeks I’m going to be putting Ellen’s old 2010 KA back on the road, and as it’s been sat for a while with a completely dead battery, I’m expecting some problems. For the sake of a few pounds I’d rather get the adaptor (is it called an adaptor?) and be able to troubleshoot with it.

Does anyone have a link to one, and an Android app please? If it works on older and newer cars too that would be a bonus.

Thanks guys 🙂

Spread the love
Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Replies

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 2,085

That was probably me, back on MM IIRC.

I got one when mum first got her Captur so about mid 2015. I paid about £15 but you can get them for about £5 on a slow boat from China. App wise there’s loads that work (mostly). It depends what info you want.

Make sure you read reviews of which ever one you do go for as apparently some can do weird things to the car.

IIRC Steve (Duke) also had one.

My Instagram

My YouTube

Les.
    Participant
    @oldles
    Forumite Points: 512

I have no idea what an ABD adaptor actually is. Is it a desuphator? If so, many of them are junk. I bought one off a “slow boat”  –  It does not work!

I have analysed it (‘scope) and the first half works, but nothing gets out the other side. i am in the (slow) process of building one I bought as a kit, but not time to finish yet.

Les.

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 1,295

@oldles – that looks like a mis-type. OBD is what Tippon was referring to – it’s a socket under the dashboard of recent (15 years? )  cars, about the size of a double-width SCART plug. You can use it to reset engine lights and fault codes that come up and more. IIRC the acronym stems from On Board Diagnostics.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 3,559

Apparently it is possible to use a Raspberry Pi as an OBD. link

One step too far for me so I have never tried!

It seems to be a popular subject – if interested  just search on ‘using pi as an obd’ and you will get more links such as this:

Les.
    Participant
    @oldles
    Forumite Points: 512

OBD, of course. I used to have a reader for my 2.9 Granada, which I think also covered my later Scorpio. I sold it. Yes, modern stuff is (or was) OBD-2 last time I saw anything, probably for over 20years now.

One on my bikes, a Cagiva Gran Canyon has a system, I think based on OBD-2, but it has a different interface, for which I needed a Fiat cable if I recall. Not had chance to use it yet.

Tippon, Ford sometimes go there own way, I would do a search to be certain.

For example, this is less than £10         301656737641    from Ebay.

I saw the cables for android, one at £7:95, so the self contained one makes more sense, and can be sold on when you have finished with it.

Les

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 3,306

As an old school grease monkey, I view OBD as the work of the Devil! 🤓😊

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

PlaneMan
    @planeman

Ryan, before you buy anything give me a few days to dig around at my place and mum’s, I have a feeling I put the one from 2015 away somewhere safe.

IF I can find it you can have it.

My Instagram

My YouTube

Mark Turner
    Participant
    @turner74
    Forumite Points: 237

Something similar to what Les has linked to should be fine for most things. Just googling the resulting codes and car model normally finds the answer. I have a generic one by Autel (found it in a car at work) that has been all I have needed sometimes just by resetting the codes you find they don’t come back again and the ones that do google is your friend. Failing that get a bluetooth one for about £15 – £20 and use your phone there may be a ford/fiat app available on the app store.

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 1,721

Thanks for the replies guys 🙂 I’m glad you lot are intelligent. I posted this after being awake all night with a snot nosed toddler, and even I’m struggling to figure out what I was trying to say 😀

Make sure you read reviews of which ever one you do go for as apparently some can do weird things to the car.

Thanks for the heads up. The KA probably isn’t going to move off the drive while I’m sorting it, so hopefully I won’t get it doing anything too dangerous 😀

I have no idea what an ABD adaptor actually is.

Sorry, it should have said OBD, as @jayceedee spotted 🙂

Ryan, before you buy anything give me a few days to dig around at my place and mum’s, I have a feeling I put the one from 2015 away somewhere safe. IF I can find it you can have it.

Thanks, that would be great. I did order one of the cheap ones through Ebay while I was waiting for Ellen earlier, and it claims to be compatible with Torque Pro:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en_GB

I had a £5 Google Play voucher through Wuntu, so I bought Torque Pro before it expires. I spotted this while I was looking for the KA OBD port too, which could be handy:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.outilsobdfacile.obd.connecteur.dlc

Both my parents have older cars that they don’t look after properly, so *when* something breaks (not if), I may be able to help… 😮

@bullstuff2 I know what you mean. Give me a set of dirty carbs and I’m fine 😀

@edps Right now I can’t get my own PC working properly, never mind building a Pi system 😀

PlaneMan
    @planeman

Torque is the app I used. You jogged my memory.

My Instagram

My YouTube

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love