Forumite

Odd Display Problem

HOME Forums Tech Other Tech Odd Display Problem

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Odd Display Problem 2Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley

I have a Benq G2420HD monitor that I have just given to my mother but it is now giving a strange problem. About a minute after the Windows desktop appears the screen goes very and dim and when I pull up the monitors menu I find that the brightness has been set to 0%. If I set the brightness back to 50% then it will stay there until I reboot the PC and then it will do the same thing again.

The monitor worked fine on my PC and the only difference I can see is that it was connected via HDMI but it is now using VGA (the PC only HAS VGA).

Any ideas ?

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 5,584

The other thing I should have mentioned is that the monitor has senseye auto dimming but I have switched that off.

Participant
    Odd Display Problem 4Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 12,988

This:    https://tinyurl.com/y7vl9rv2

If you don’t need a long cable, just an adapter to a HDMI cable, This:   https://tinyurl.com/ydcpoquu

Lots more like that Graham.

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Participant
    @grahamdearsley

That cable does HDMI to VGA (so it claims) but my Mum’s PC really only has VGA out (not even DVI) so I would need a cable to convert VGA to digital and I don’t know of a passive cable that can do that 😁.

I don’t think that that is the real problem though.

Participant
    @grahamdearsley

And I wanted to fit a graphics card too but I can’t because although the motherboard has a 16X pcie slot, the PC uses an external power brick like a laptop and an internal pico PSU with no pcie connectors and a TOTAL output of 150W.

Participant
    Odd Display Problem 7JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 4,811

And I wanted to fit a graphics card too but I can’t because although the motherboard has a 16X pcie slot, the PC uses an external power brick like a laptop and an internal pico PSU with no pcie connectors and a TOTAL output of 150W.

Would one of THESE solve that problem for you, Graham?? with perhaps an adapter to convert from molex to whatever the card specifies. If it needs more than 2A there are bigger, but dearer options.

Participant
    Odd Display Problem 8Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 15,276

Sounds like a power saving setting on the TV that needs to be altered.

Participant
    @grahamdearsley

The PSU idea is interesting, I would need a Molex to 6 pin PCIe adaptor, but has anyone else tried powering a PCIe card from an external supply ?

I have gone through all the monitors settings and the only power saving option puts the monitor into standby, and its off 😁.

I was wondering if the dimming was something Windows could control ? Normally I would say not, especially over VGA, but when I plugged the monitor in Windows detected its make and model and loaded a new driver for it. On my PC at home this monitor only ever showed up as a generic PnP monitor.

Come to think of it I’m going to try rolling back the driver.

Participant
    @grahamdearsley

It is something that Windows is doing. I had a thought before rolling back the driver. You can stare at the login screen for as long as you like and nothing will happen but 45 sec after logging in the screen goes dim.

Any ideas on that ?

Participant
    Odd Display Problem 4Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 12,988

That cable does HDMI to VGA (so it claims) but my Mum’s PC really only has VGA out (not even DVI) so I would need a cable to convert VGA to digital and I don’t know of a passive cable that can do that 😁. I don’t think that that is the real problem though.

It’s male at both ends Graham, so should work either way. But as you say, and after reading more replies, maybe not the real problem.

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Participant
    Odd Display Problem 8Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 15,276

Maybe your somewhat non-standard cabling is triggering Window’s Adaptive brightness setting. Try turning this off in Windows ‘Power Saving’ (Type Adaptive Brightness into the Search box for instructions)

Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Thanks Ed. I do not have the adaptive brightness setting but it got me thinking…

With the correct Monitor driver installed Windows can and dose change the display settings of a Benq Monitor with Senseye, even with it supposedly switched off.

I changed the colour profile from Benq to sRGB and the monitor immediatly changed its brightness setting to 80% and stayed there. But I didn’t like the colours so I changed the monitors display setting from standard to dynamic (that is meant to enable senseye and it disables the display controls for brightness, contrast and colour) and put the Windows colour profile back to Benq.

I now have a nice bright and colourful display that stays that way !

Participant
    @jayceedee

The PSU idea is interesting, I would need a Molex to 6 pin PCIe adaptor, but has anyone else tried powering a PCIe card from an external supply ?

Just looked at THIS post on a graphics card forum, he seems to be a go-to guy for any questions on powering graphics cards. He’s also provided links to the various connectors.

Participant
    @grahamdearsley

My question with an externally powered PCIe card is really whether it is electrically safe. An eternal SATA HDD  would only take its power  from an external supply but a PCIe card would draw power from the bus as well. I once had a bad experience connecting two supposedly identical rectifiers  in parallel and I don’t want to repeat it 😁

Participant
    @jayceedee

Couldn’t advise on that, maybe the graphics card guy has had experience of it?? Worth an ask maybe.

Participant
    @grahamdearsley

I wouldn’t have thought so. Looks like he just has the same Upgrading and Repairing PC’s book by Scott Mueller that I do 😁

Participant
    @grahamdearsley

He often quotes word for word but never gives any credit.

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.