Forumite

Off with his head!

HOME Forums Politics UK Off with his head!

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

Supreme Court: Suspending Parliament was unlawful, judges rule.

Irrespective of Brexit I am extremely glad to see this ruling. Ever since TBLiar took us into an illegal war with the threat of proroguing in the background  I have been very concerned about our system of elected sometimes unelected temporary dictatorship. We needed some checks and balances against a deluded leader, and now we have a precedent.

The topic header was of course tongue in cheek, what sanction if any there is for misleading the monarch remains to be seen, but the mendacious BoJo would be well advised to avoid Scotland for a while as he has been in contempt of their court for over a week!

Viewing 20 replies - 281 through 300 (of 300 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 5,140

Well I got it wrong, I admit it.

I said that Labour would increase its lead in Harrow West but it actually lost a few votes, still a large win as predicted though, couldn’t be anything else.

But seriously though, can we have a proper opposition now ?

JC did what his party wanted but NOT what labour voters wanted. Momentum are still in charge so what can be done ?

Boris
    @boris
    Forumite Points: 1,458

Momentum are still in charge so what can be done ?

Lose Momentum ? 😀

Never trust an atom - they make up everything !

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley

Groan Boris 😂

Participant
    The VFM Addict
    @thevfmaddict
    Forumite Points: 2,227

I got it wrong also.  I said a tiny Tory majority…………..LOL

Unless BoJo messes up big time in his first term I suspect we are talking two or three Tory terms before the wind changes.   It will surely take at least one more defeat, just as it did post M.Foot, before Labour gets too sick of losing and a Blair type centerist gets his/her chance.

Until then Momentum will blame it all on Brexit and Corbyn rather than the extreme leftist policies that were on being offered (i.e. nationalise anything large that moved and tax big businesses out of existence).     Just listen to John McDonnell at the moment, a clearer case of someone in denial it is hard to find.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Here's hoping the Mad Tangerine of the West and the Mad Monk of the East stay friends or we're all in trouble

Boris
    @boris
    Forumite Points: 1,458

Groan Boris

Just being like my namesake 😄

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Boris.

Never trust an atom - they make up everything !

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 11,936

I expected a Tory minority government, so not a case of Great Expectations, more WTF just happened here? I should have known better: as Boris said in very good speech, people outside London and the SE who had never voted Conservative, did so. In droves. Places that I know in the North and Midlands, always returned a Labour candidate in election after election, voted Boris. Not Tory, Boris. I do not believe that any other Conservative leader has ever attracted such support from those quarters. The one clear message that the new PM needs to take from those people, is that he needs to support his fine words with the right actions. Labour have only themselves to blame. I have been speaking with some of the young people I know today and there is one message from all but two of them: they did not like JC. After all the “Oh Jeremy Corbyn” BS, his attraction for the younger voters is plainly bowlocks, trumped up by the Party apparatchiks. Rent a Crowd tactics, in many cases. MY SIL has it nailed down – “I did not want to have a Communist Prime Minister.”

I will pay Boris this compliment, as we all await the next moves. He is a fine orator, with a very good speech writer. Now he has to make actions fit words.

If it’s the Psychic Network why do they need a phone number?

What’s right is what’s left if you do everything else wrong.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

Actually, the only one of us Forumites to come close to the result, does not even live in the UK!

Congratulations to Les, on the IoM. Now get your crystal ball out again Les, and please tell us what happens next.😊😉

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 13,425

I hope that The Times or Independent posts up a tally of all the promises that Boris has made since taking command of the Brexit bandwagon, and highlights those that he breaks. His career track record on honesty and keeping his word has been poor at best! Even ‘Getting Brexit Done’ was only achieved at the expense of the DUP and caused their subsequent meltdown.

Participant
    keith with the teef
    @thinktank
    Forumite Points: 2,336

A little chat with the misses watching the evening news (not on BBC) and the misses pointed out that the door N0,10 is not only bullet proof but bomb proof. I went on to point out that it was Corbin proof.

Whorah. 🙂

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

In 1971 (IIRC) there was a plot to manufacture and fire a home made multi barrel mortar into Downing Street. Tests by Long Range Snipers (otherwise known as the Royal Artillery) from a distance and wire-guided, proved that it was wildly inaccurate and in fact the whole thing blew to pieces during the second trial, conducted on Salisbury Plain. I was between tours of N.I. at the time, but the RA regiment next to our BAOR barracks had a serving member I knew from home. He told me all about the hare – brained scheme, which would apparently have missed the intended target but caused some damage, civilian deaths and injuries. It might also have blown up and destroyed the truck and occupants. Either way would have suited the IRA: dead Brits or martyrs to The Cause.

The plot was foiled thanks to some very good intelligence work by 14 Int, the RUC and the Special Branch working together.

--- Robin Williams

Participant
    The VFM Addict
    @thevfmaddict

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Here's hoping the Mad Tangerine of the West and the Mad Monk of the East stay friends or we're all in trouble

Participant
    blacklion1725
    @blacklion1725
    Forumite Points: 3,234

In 1971 (IIRC) there was a plot to manufacture and fire a home made multi barrel mortar into Downing Street. Tests by Long Range Snipers (otherwise known as the Royal Artillery) from a distance and wire-guided, proved that it was wildly inaccurate and in fact the whole thing blew to pieces during the second trial, conducted on Salisbury Plain. I was between tours of N.I. at the time, but the RA regiment next to our BAOR barracks had a serving member I knew from home. He told me all about the hare – brained scheme, which would apparently have missed the intended target but caused some damage, civilian deaths and injuries. It might also have blown up and destroyed the truck and occupants. Either way would have suited the IRA: dead Brits or martyrs to The Cause. The plot was foiled thanks to some very good intelligence work by 14 Int, the RUC and the Special Branch working together.

Bob this rang a bell but I thought “can’t have been 1971 – I was  five!”. Turns out I was remembering a 1991 mortar attack against Major.

Participant
    The VFM Addict
    @thevfmaddict

There were  also several Heathrow Mortar attacks in 1994 all of which failed to explode on impact.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 7,570

Now Len McCluskey is distancing himself Corbyn won’t last long. It’ll be a woman next that’s for sure and probably from north of Watford too.

Boris had better remember who got him there. There will be no excuses accepted.

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley

Now there’s a thought Dave

Maybe the Unions will have to distance themselves completely and set up a NEW new Labour party 😁

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

The one woman Labour MP I would like to see as leader is Harriet Harman, leading a more moderate party. Making a clean sweep of the Trotskyites who have infested the party under Corbyn. But I think there are some lean wilderness years to come for Labour. Atm I am engaged in what began as a debate with one of my granddaughter’s ex-friends. She is advocating an attack upon Downing Street: “They can’t stop us all.” Yes they can I replied, and they will. Then I asked her if she supports democracy and she said yes. So why do you want to attack the choice of a majority of voters, I said, that is not democracy. Now she and her BF are almost rabid in their condemnation of the election result. I know and talk to a lot of young people and these two are symptomatic of the ones who followed Corbyn.

It seems to be the style of some on FB to not accept a democratic decision, and portray those who voted Tory as some kind of traitors to a cause they only half understand.

--- Robin Williams

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley

You may like to ask her who she thinks “they” are, it is a very serious question but the response is usually hilarious.

Participant
    Les.
    @oldles
    Forumite Points: 1,473

I thought Len McCluskey would be the first to speak, he has said a few words over the last couple of months. Trouble is, he is not left wing like some of the other union leaders, as it may take ALL of them to dislodge Momentum. Remember they control the rules which they have already altered to suit themselves. It may take union money to be moved to another centre for the moderates to form a new Labour party. With only £3 per head subs or whatever it is, they would not last long then.

Remember last time this happened, it took Kinnock senior to call them out, and they blinked. But there is no Kinnock senior today, McCluskey had better succeed.

Bob, remember mine was a wish list I am not a seer And it was only half right.

Les.

Bye the way, should this thread title be changed now? Not sure anybody would be bold enough to try court action right now!

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Les.. Reason: It not I
    Participant
    The VFM Addict
    @thevfmaddict

Alan Johnson, an ex Tesco Shop worker, Postman, Union leader and IMHO the best Leader Labour never had, has already slammed Momentum saying he wants it gone.    He was a true moderate and the only Union  member of the Labour’s NEC who voted to abolish Clause IV.

If he wasn’t of the opinion that he is too old for the task and hadn’t already quit Parliament I truly believe he would be the ideal figurehead to lead a fight back against Momentum.   He had an amazing ability to appeal to all from shop floor to boardroom and sadly never reached his full potential while in Parliament; too often he was shuffled and used by those in charge as the go to man whenever a safe pair of hands were needed.

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

Bob, remember mine was a wish list I am not a seer And it was only half right.

Les.

Closer than any of us Les!

You may like to ask her who she thinks “they” are, it is a very serious question but the response is usually hilarious.

I did Graham: ME – “Who are the ‘they’ you speak of?

“The capitalist establishment!”

ME – “That’s an oxymoron.”   Yep, you guessed it – “Who are you calling a moron?”

You could not make it up. I stopped winding the silly child up at that point. Gdaughter says that this friend of hers became an ex-friend because gd stopped being a chef and became a bank employee, currently trying out a business banking course after working in two banks. She became stupidly jealous of my gd and started taking the p**s, forgetting that gd has about twice her IQ and is much bigger too. There was some kind of confrontation. You don’t mess with my gd. I won’t tell her about this current argument, she loves her granddad!

--- Robin Williams

Viewing 20 replies - 281 through 300 (of 300 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.