Forumite

Off with his head!

HOME Forums Politics UK Off with his head!

This topic contains 141 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Ed P 20 hours, 14 minutes ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

Supreme Court: Suspending Parliament was unlawful, judges rule.

Irrespective of Brexit I am extremely glad to see this ruling. Ever since TBLiar took us into an illegal war with the threat of proroguing in the background  I have been very concerned about our system of elected sometimes unelected temporary dictatorship. We needed some checks and balances against a deluded leader, and now we have a precedent.

The topic header was of course tongue in cheek, what sanction if any there is for misleading the monarch remains to be seen, but the mendacious BoJo would be well advised to avoid Scotland for a while as he has been in contempt of their court for over a week!

Viewing 20 replies - 81 through 100 (of 141 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 6,375

To the best of my knowledge the Wilson Coup story was based on fact. At that time I worked in Westminster for a US boss who was closely associated with the US Embassy. He ordered me not to work in London the following week as he said that the US Embassy had warned him that there was a high probability of an armed coup. Needless to say I did not come to London, but neither was there the much rumoured coup.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

Perhaps ‘Total Pratt‘ should be added to Boris Mendacious Johnson’s epithets.  He told the country that the EU would blink and went down his blind alley instead of seeking proper negotiations. Both the country (per latest opinion polls) and MPs want to avoid a Hard Brexit. It looks like a Government of National Unity and a consensus negotiating approach is now the only way to achieve a sensible Brexit that meets most people’s needs.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 4,562

Angela Merkel does not bluff, I could have told the Blonde Buffoon that myself. I would have hated to play poker with the haüsfrau.

https://tinyurl.com/y22bbbyv

As an aside, the real crusties in Parliament, starting with Barking Boris, simply do not understand the XR protests.

Tory peer: ‘Sinister undertones’ to Extinction Rebellion protests. –    They do not understand this is people fighting for the planet’s future. As so many of them are closer to the Grim Reaper than most of the protesters, some cannot bring themselves to care enough by giving it some thought. I am ashamed that Baroness Williams has to be reminded of this by Baroness Jones. Battling Welsh Baronesses, indeed.

If it’s the Psychic Network why do they need a phone number?

What’s right is what’s left if you do everything else wrong.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 2,682

The ER group are a bunch of nut jobs. They have an idea in their heads that can’t be shifted with facts because it didn’t get there that way. One of them was on the radio this morning complaining that he now had a criminal record for obstructing the public highway. Asked if he realised it was against the law he replied no but yes but no but. Ask them to move nicely once then lock up the lot of them. Who the hell do they think they are.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

They would argue with you that it is a fact (as shown by NASA data) that the earth is warming up. They have however quietly dropped the ‘Hockey Stick’ graph as that was just total BS plus manipulated numbers.

The speculation then comes that because CO2 is a greenhouse gas then it must be primary cause and not just one of them. There are of course many other possible causes and contributing factors e.g. the Indonesians/Brazilians chopping down bazillions of trees to grow palm oil, intensive farming etc.

Until someone can come up with a proof that something else other than CO2 is the primary cause then it is difficult to convince them otherwise – as said in a different context any counter arguments are just FUD. You cannot counter a religion with ordinary facts they have to be mind blowing.

I’m afraid that just like Boris the FOE/Greens have a long history of distorting facts.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

The ER group are a bunch of nut jobs. They have an idea in their heads that can’t be shifted with facts because it didn’t get there that way. One of them was on the radio this morning complaining that he now had a criminal record for obstructing the public highway. Asked if he realised it was against the law he replied no but yes but no but. Ask them to move nicely once then lock up the lot of them. Who the hell do they think they are.

Most of them are not ‘nut jobs’, but young people afraid of the future that previous generations have created for them. That’s who they think they are Graham. Do you have grandchildren? I do and I fear for what might be in store for them. Ever stood up for your beliefs, your principles, despite what you know the consequences might be? That’s what they are doing. If was able to do so, I would join them, good luck to them.

Sometimes you talk garbage.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

<p style=”text-align: justify;”>Nope, just nut jobs and as usual they have dragged their children along with them. Do you REALLY think that your grand children are going to grow up in a toxic wasteland Bob ? because thats what they have convinced their children is going to happen.</p>

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

If I thought we were actually facing some sort of disaster then I may be protesting too but I still wouldn’t be pitching my tent in the middle of a central london street. It is all just selfish me me me. Some of their children are having genuine nightmares because of the rubbish they have been fed, they think they will roast to death before they reach 20, but the nutters don’t care if they can stick them in front of a camera sobbing.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

You refuse to face the truth, I’m not going to debate this with you. It’s the children who started this. I’m done here now.

--- Robin Williams

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 3,634

Personally and not on board with the whole climate change due to humans. There is little everdence I’ve seen to make the claim with so much conviction.

Also there is zero money in disproving the theory, so all reports are geared to prove it.

Everyone wants it to be true as their is possibly trillions of quid made of of it.

The earth is warming, but once we was an ice sheet, before that a tropic. This has probaly flip flopped 100s of times since time began. Now we (humans) are here, and think we know best. Awe literally know the tip of the iceberg.

That ‘tip’ is the top of a lot of carbon footprint dollar signs. These hippy kids are just doing “the mans” work for him. All what will come of this is higher taxes for all.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

Nothing like having two emotive topics running in one thread! Both subjects share a common trait – the protagonists of both sides believe the other to be deluded in their viewpoints.

Steve, as most teachers support the CO2 theory, so do their students, as a result you are more likely to be burnt at the stake than to get them to change their minds.

In any case, it really does not matter – even if the main cause is less space dust between us and the sun then reducing CO2 will probably offset that somewhat. It will also shaft those Middle East countries that seem to be our enemies.

Personally I would welcome Southern France temperatures on the Gower peninsular, my heating bill would be much lower!

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by Ed P.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Fair enough Bob, I had finished venting my spleen (not that I have one anymore) on this matter in any case 😀

The VFM Addict
    Participant
    @thevfmaddict
    Forumite Points: 1,658

There is some truth about there being a lot of nut jobs at the London ER protests.  I know two of the Met’s finest who say a large percentage are on drugs or drunk.   But that is always the way at large London protests.  You’d get the same if you started a protest because some chocolate bar had been reduced by 10% in size.    Its the “any old excuse to cause mayhem” crew.    We in The Smoke know its the way.   But I don’t tar the whole ER movement with that brush.   Bob’s right there are a lot of genuinely concerned children out there although I suspect that if what they fear comes true it won’t be them but their children that bear the brunt.   I’ve always believed that the Great Filter of Fermi Paradox fame is ahead of us not behind.   So I’m not closed to the idea that perhaps all civilisations ultimately destroy their planets and get wise to the fact they are doing it far too late to avert it.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Here's hoping the Mad Tangerine of the West and the Mad Monk of the East stay friends or we're all in trouble

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Fair enough Bob, I had finished venting my spleen (*not that I have one anymore) on this matter in any case 😀

Know I said I was done, but I was a bit OTT and actually: *neither do I. Or a gall bladder, half my bowel piping, part of my pancreas, some of No.4 vertebra and peripheral neuropathy down my left side.

Think that’s it… Ain’t it great getting old and knackered?

VFM that is one of the most sensible and thoughtful posts you have made. But don’t let that compliment go to your head.😆😋

--- Robin Williams

The VFM Addict
    Participant
    @thevfmaddict
    Forumite Points: 1,658

Yep I do have moments of thoughtfulness but don’t worry Bob they don’t last too long…….LOL

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Here's hoping the Mad Tangerine of the West and the Mad Monk of the East stay friends or we're all in trouble

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

Hopeful news from Eire but something had to give to make progress. I wonder if duplicitous Boris is planning to DUmP one of his supporters and run the border down the Irish Sea!

I suppose that action  gives him the vote of no confidence he desires, but until the fat lady sings I do not see it being backed in the UK parliament.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 3,371

Somebody will be thrown under the bus as he promised something to everyone. I suspect it’s the DUP, but they will be weighing up facing a No Deal which will crucify parts of NI and for which they would be blamed. If there is a GE and no Brexit they may well have no Tory Govt to support so they’ll be under the bus then anyway. If the Tories can be the largest party they may well have influence once again.

If the DUP are onside then the Spartans have a hard time justifying opposition on the basis of NI.

We could end up with basically TMs deal in the end. Boris can claim to have tried and obtained (insert minor concession here) and more importantly we’ll be out on the 31st.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Promises, pie crusts and political expediency…

Before the ’69 Troubles resurfaced, I served with a Dublin mate who was an Air Tech like myself. He took me for a couple of weeks’ leave in Dublin at his mother’s pub (seemed more like a year!) and then for a tour of the West of Ireland. I found it amusing that the people in the West thought less of Paul as a Dubliner than they did of myself, a Brit: I was welcomed almost everywhere. But I also recall a guy in Cork, when the craic got around to the Six Counties of the North. “Oh dear God in Heaven we don’t want those people in our tidy Republic! Sure they would make a muck of it all! Keep them to yourselves England, we don’t want all the bother!”

Ensuing events proved him correct.

--- Robin Williams

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

What I really don’t get Bob is that there were people in Ireland who battled long and hard to separate themselves from UK rule but then signed up to the EU empire. Honestly I don’t get it.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

What I really don’t get Bob is that there were people in Ireland who battled long and hard to separate themselves from UK rule but then signed up to the EU empire. Honestly I don’t get it.

You failed to draw the obvious conclusions from your comments

The EU is neither British or an Empire (not ruled by an Emperor) it is therefore a fine body to join.

Viewing 20 replies - 81 through 100 (of 141 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thank you for visiting Forumite. If you appreciate the site please consider a donation to show your appreciation.
Take Me There!
close-image