Forumite

Off with his head!

HOME Forums Politics UK Off with his head!

This topic contains 141 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Ed P 20 hours, 16 minutes ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

Supreme Court: Suspending Parliament was unlawful, judges rule.

Irrespective of Brexit I am extremely glad to see this ruling. Ever since TBLiar took us into an illegal war with the threat of proroguing in the background  I have been very concerned about our system of elected sometimes unelected temporary dictatorship. We needed some checks and balances against a deluded leader, and now we have a precedent.

The topic header was of course tongue in cheek, what sanction if any there is for misleading the monarch remains to be seen, but the mendacious BoJo would be well advised to avoid Scotland for a while as he has been in contempt of their court for over a week!

Viewing 20 replies - 101 through 120 (of 141 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 2,682

A no. I have expressed my views on the unelected evil EU empire before 😂

dwynnehugh
    Participant
    @dwynnehugh
    Forumite Points: 1,375

I was wondering the other day what if ‘Yes, Prime Minister’ was still churning out new episodes with the old cast, how would Sir Humphrey have described the current position with Brexit?

The more you meet people the more you understand why Noah took animals instead of humans

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 2,968

I was wondering the other day what if ‘Yes, Prime Minister’ was still churning out new episodes with the old cast, how would Sir Humphrey have described the current position with Brexit?

Were it on TV these days, it would probably be re-titled “You cannot be serious, Prime Minister!!” – shades of McEnroe!!

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 4,562

What I really don’t get Bob is that there were people in Ireland who battled long and hard to separate themselves from UK rule but then signed up to the EU empire. Honestly I don’t get it.

You failed to draw the obvious conclusions from your comments The EU is neither British or an Empire (not ruled by an Emperor) it is therefore a fine body to join.

Thanks Ed you said it all for me!👍

If it’s the Psychic Network why do they need a phone number?

What’s right is what’s left if you do everything else wrong.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 6,375

BoJo is starting to both sound and act like Trump with his ‘great new deal’ for Brexit which in all but name puts a border down the Irish Sea. It is impossible to see how the DUP can ever agree to this deal as their so-called 4+ year veto is meaningless. If they reject the EU customs union then its an immediate hard border in Ireland, if they accept it then its the soft border in the Irish Sea  with Ulster pretty much staying in the EU.

However the EU have apparently just now rejected any Benn Act extension so all hell is likely to break loose on Saturday. It looks like either the UK is fractured into England plus three unhappy federal states or the Conservative party is fractured, and a vote of no confidence is passed. What then is pure speculation as all shades of results (except a Hard Brexit) are equally likely.

I think a Hard Brexit has now been recognised as throwing the Conservatives into political purgatory due to its dire economic effects in the short/medium term. I therefore think that they would rather revoke Article 50 than be forced into that position.

We live in interesting times.😵

• This reply was modified 3 days, 17 hours ago by Ed P.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 3,373

It’s not up to Juncker, he’s just helping Boris by putting the scares on.  Let’s see what happens on Saturday.

I can’t see Boris revoking no matter what the circumstances. The DUP are screwed either way. I think they will both throw the country to the dogs rather than be seen to capitulate. Put their hopes in winning an election to get a mandate.

The only way revoke would happen is if everyone else ganged up on Boris. Corbyn won’t do that for his own selfish reasons.

I just want to see the lot pf them gone now, our constitution formalised and proper election procedures put in place. We can never let this sort of mess happen again. And I don’t mean Brexit, I mean the process should we wish to do such a thing in the future.

keith with the teef
    Participant
    @thinktank
    Forumite Points: 1,534

Boris on ITV news looked emotional like he had had a lucky escape. It must be good. Or good as he see’s it!

The VFM Addict
    Participant
    @thevfmaddict
    Forumite Points: 1,658

As I read it BoJo’s deal is unlawful.    See here at s.55(1).    And the legal challenge has already been filed.   Anyone want to guess how the Supreme Court would rule if and when it escalates to them?

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Here's hoping the Mad Tangerine of the West and the Mad Monk of the East stay friends or we're all in trouble

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Who knows. It looks like it’s going to fail anyway.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

As I read it BoJo’s deal is unlawful. See here at s.55(1). And the legal challenge has already been filed. Anyone want to guess how the Supreme Court would rule if and when it escalates to them?

Isn’t this just another law that will need amending? I don’t see anything unlawful in this until a Brexit deal is actually enacted.

Subsection 54:2 looks like it allows the appropriate Minister to do what he likes, provided it is a part of a deal with another territory.

“Subsection (1) shall not apply if the Treasury declare by Order that arrangements have been entered into by Her Majesty’s Government and that government under which that government will account to HMRC for those duties and taxes collected in that country or territory on a reciprocal basis.

The VFM Addict
    Participant
    @thevfmaddict

I’ll deal with our two tenets in reverse order, Ed.

Yes, any law can be revoked or amended by Parliament but Parliament cannot on Saturday agree to break the law on the basis that it will change the law before it does so.    On that basis they could agree to execute Theresa May by 31 October 2019 on the basis that they will reinstate the death penalty and permit summary conviction by the legislature.   Basically the law is the law and until changed must be considered as to have effect.

Now to the  Taxation (Cross-border Trade) Act 2018.     Subsection 54(2) has effect in respect of  Subsection 54(1).    It in no part relates to Section 55, which if you re-read my post was what I was highlighting.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Here's hoping the Mad Tangerine of the West and the Mad Monk of the East stay friends or we're all in trouble

The VFM Addict
    Participant
    @thevfmaddict

Oh, I should have add that the Supreme Court often refer to Hansard to aid in legal construction; i.e. to check what Parliament’s will was such as to assist.    It would not surprise me one bit if Section 55 was discussed during that Act’s passage and its purpose was to add the force of law to there being no customs border in the Irish Sea ‘tween N.I. and the rest of the UK.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

I’ll leave the law to you, as that is your expertise.

Switching emphasis I found it interesting that the Scots Nats are saying on the radio that they would be very happy with the Ulster deal if it were also applied to Scotland, as it would keep them in the EU and they would still enjoy close links with England. A hard border supposedly would not bother them. I could also see the Welsh wanting a similar deal as that would meet their sheep farmer needs. Looks like Brexit really could break up the UK – not something the Conservatives normally tout!

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Many many people said that Boris was not really going for an EU deal, it was all just a ploy, but here it is anyway.

The deal does not get all the things I want but that is the nature of a deal, with the back stop trap removed it does just enough to get my vote.

Now we will see if the Remoaners are actually interested in a deal.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

I’m glad that  the Brexiteers now have no one to blame but themselves if they fail to convince Parliament that this is a good deal. I’m with the Scots Nats this is a great deal if you are not English but it does risk breaking up the Union and places the whole Brexit risk on England. (I exclude Wales as I’m sure Plaid would like the same deal with customs posts at the old Rebecca toll booths on the Wye, Severn and A547.)

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Brexiteers never blame themselves, it’s just not possible. Any potential problems are Project Fear and any actual ones are the work of Remainers sabotaging things.

I see all talk of sunny uplands has gone though, or £gaziilions a week for the NHS. The divorce bill will be paid in full too, I thought that was another red line but was clearly just another dog whistle. As was NI and the Union in general.

In the current happy climate I’ve bought some Euros for a trip in December because I feel come Sunday it’ll not be so good.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

You spotted that then Dave. The £39bn cost is one of the things I like least about the deal. Much less money for sunny uplands. Ho hum.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

You spotted that then Dave. The £39bn cost is one of the things I like least about the deal. Much less money for sunny uplands. Ho hum.

Its ‘only’ £33Bn now due to all the time that has been wasted, but the actual cost to date of this fiasco is gigantic even excluding lost opportunity cost. If you want an example – the billion or so wasted by that poor excuse of a Minister, Chris Grayling.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

A £6bn discount ? Bargain then. I’ll take two 😂😂😂

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

Hate to disillusion you but we have already paid £6Bn since Theresa May agreed pretty much the same divorce settlement.

Viewing 20 replies - 101 through 120 (of 141 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thank you for visiting Forumite. If you appreciate the site please consider a donation to show your appreciation.
Take Me There!
close-image