Offered an MEP candidacy.

HOME Forums Politics UK Offered an MEP candidacy.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by The Duke 3 months, 1 week ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Yes you read that right. 3 different political organisations have offered me an MEP candidacy. One Left, One Right, One (sort of) Centre Party.*

I know where two of the offers originate: 3rd is probably an ex-member of one of the other 2. Now, should I wish to go to Brussels and kick some ass (metaphorically speaking) I would have done so a few years ago, when my health was better and there was more thatch on my roof. So I am going to refuse on health and age grounds, but adding two riders: why now, and why are they trying to fill UK seats that will be empty by this time next year (or earlier)? The joke will be on them all if most potential candidates see that eventuality. The ones who take these posts will include a large proportion who think they will be eligible for an MEP pension when they have to leave. They may have a surprise shock in store, according to information I have been given.

*Check out Johnny Cash’s opinion of politics:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwi3jIrricnhAhX0QxUIHTHcCoAQyCkwAHoECAsQBQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DaDSN1F72QU4&usg=AOvVaw0stgwOsHEMdieHw5OZs-Z_

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

Spread the love
Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies

dwynnehugh
    Participant
    @dwynnehugh
    Forumite Points: 890

Look at it this way Bob, from what I understand the EU Parliament needs a full compliment to be ‘legal’ so for the time being that includes the UK.

Get voted in – probably for less than 12 months, we leave, you are now obsolete but your service will be pensionable probably by the EU – we will be getting some of our ££s back!! Go for it. 😆

The more you meet people the more you understand why Noah took animals instead of humans

The VFM Addict
    Participant
    @thevfmaddict
    Forumite Points: 860

That suddenly makes me think of something that had never occurred to me before and to which I don’t know the answer.   I wonder if anyone here does?

Under PR is it close to or indeed totally impossible to ever have ‘Independents’?     I assume it must be because no one individual is ever likely to get a sufficient percentage of the total vote to ever win a seat?   Conversely if that individual for some bizarre reason got such a high percentage as to qualify for more than one seat who would be second and third on that individual candidate’s list such as to fill the other seats?  It seems to me the only way one would ever get Independents in the EP would be if someone won a seat with a major player and then subsequently went Independent?    Interesting.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Here's hoping the Mad Tangerine of the West and the Mad Monk of the East stay friends or we're all in trouble

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 2,275

It’s a closed list variation of party list proportional representation but looking here it seems to allow for independents.

This means that political parties put forward names of candidates in rank order, the number of candidates being no more than the number of seats allowed for each region.

The ballot paper lists the parties’ names (and their candidates under the party name), and any independent candidates. Put a cross next to the party or independent candidate that you wish to vote for.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 3,559

“Under PR is it close to or indeed totally impossible to ever have ‘Independents’? I assume it must be because no one individual is ever likely to get a sufficient percentage of the total vote to ever win a seat?”

It depends on two things – If the candidate has a high profile image, and if he/she has a popular platform, then they can overcome the barrier of better funded political opponents. You can make the same argument even more strongly for our own broken system yet true Independents sometimes get in and wipe out large political majorities. (A rare event I will admit).

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 3,325

Dwynne I simply do not have the health and vitality left to contemplate taking a candidacy, from any Party.

Funding would not be an issue for two of the offers, very restricted for the other which is however the one I would prefer, should I have decided to stand. I have carried out some limited research, mostly by the traditional British activity of “Playing One Against The Other”. 🤓😉😊 I found out the names of those who recommended me to two of the parties, then learned to my surprise that the 3rd person was a retired Labour Councillor from a Ward where I lived in Louth before coming to the village where I now live. I had worked with this Councillor to force a developer to pay for Land Drainage which the developer’s builders had damaged beyond repair. The Councillor was the best example of a local representative, in that she worked with other Parties to get results for her Ward. She did not, btw, recommend me to the Labour Party as an MEP candidate, as she has said that she no longer has faith in the Party that she worked for, over so many years. A comment upon Corbyn’s leadership and influence, I think.

This is one of those occasions when I really do wish that I was younger and in better health. I would have sincerely wished to have applied for the candidacy, probably as an Independent. Which gives a clue as to the 3rd Party. Looking at what might have been, if I won the (short-lived) seat, I would refuse the pension and make that decision known to the media, very publicly. I would have liked the money of course, but we are not (yet) in poverty and it would make a statement about one of the things I hate about the EU: that the Brussels bureaucrats are over-rewarded for their services. A reform that Cameron originally wanted to make, but got lost by jumping too soon.

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

dwynnehugh
    Participant
    @dwynnehugh
    Forumite Points: 890

Bob my comment was a bit tongue in cheek!!

The more you meet people the more you understand why Noah took animals instead of humans

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 2,209

The way that the thing is being pulled every way but forward, I suspect anyone signing up today would be advised to accept the pension. I am sure they could look forward to at least another 5 years on their bed, swanning.

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 2,583

Ggbet on that grave train bob. You and the wife will get to Swan a round Europe for the next year. Just put in the minimum you have to, it’s all the rest do.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love