Forumite

Office chair

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Office chair 2Tippon
    @tippon

Can anyone recommend a decent office chair please. One of the supports snapped on mine, and the supplier went under a few years ago, so I can’t find replacements. I need something with a high back / head rest, and arms, and ideally a swivel chair on wheels.

I’m looking on the usual sites, but I don’t know anything about which brands are decent, or what to avoid. I’m looking to spend about £100, but can go higher if there’s a difference in quality.

Cheers dears :bye:

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Office chair 3JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 5,012

I bought one of THESE back in October ’18. It’s still good, if showing a few signs of wear, but still really comfortable.

Because it’s on an expensive wooden floor, I also bought THESE to replace the old castors. They have been, and still are, superb.

Participant
    Office chair 4Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 8,581

I bought one of these 5 years ago and it’s still going. The absolutely best office chair I have though is now nearly 30 years old and salvaged from an office closure at work. It’s very much like this and built like a brick outhouse. It may not look as sexy as the “directors” chair but it is very much built for the purpose of sitting on 8 hours a day without pain.

Participant
    Office chair 5Drezha
    @drezha
    Forumite Points: 2,545

My chair at home was from IKEA – the Markus. Had it now for three or four years and it’s still great. My office one though is nicer, but far pricer! It’s the Conway from BOF, though I have seen very similar elsewhere, and may well get one when the Markus breaks.

Participant
    Office chair 4Dave Rice
    @ricedg

That Conway looks identical to the salvaged chair I have. Lots of £££s but boy do they last.

Participant
    Office chair 7Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 13,353

Reposting this after the site crashed due to a Database Error.

In 2016 I bought this:     https://tinyurl.com/y5bou77t

So good, I bought another for my No.2 gson. Two arrived, so I checked the Order: yes, only one ordered and only one paid for. Waited 3 months, opened box carefully in case of a requested Return. Gave it to my son. All 3 chairs still working well, frames and castors as new. As gson uses his a great deal, it has stood up well and he is a very big lad.

Unfortunately it is no longer available and I cannot find it anywhere Nolan, sorry. At a tad under £55, it was a great bargain. As a BOGOF, even better! If the manufacturer had a habit of sending out 2 items for the price of one, maybe a recipe for business disaster.

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Participant
    @bullstuff2

Sorry Ryan, got you and Nolan mixed up again. Not senile yet, but getting there. :scratch: :-)

I'm out.

Participant
    Office chair 2Tippon
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 3,896

Thanks for the links guys :good:

I think I’ve decided to go with the Cherry Tree Furniture Executive Recline Extra Padded Office Chair (Black PU):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00K5SD3DS/

I had my eye on it anyway, and it’s similar to the padded chairs mentioned, and my existing chair. It’s also got 4.5 stars from almost 2,000 reviews, so that’s a comfort. The Homcom is tempting me too though:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MTRA8QC/

I like the look of the Markus, but £150 is a bit too high for something I might not get on with, although the 365 day returns is tempting. Dave: I’ve never been able to get on with those types of office chairs. I used to use one every day when I worked in a call centre, and I’d constantly be moving around in my seat trying to get it ‘right’ (I’d probably lose a few pounds though :scratch: ).

Sorry Ryan, got you and Nolan mixed up again. Not senile yet, but getting there. :scratch: :-)

No worries Bob. I’m home with the wife and daughter, so if that’s the worse thing I’m called today I’m doing well :wacko: :yahoo:

Participant
    Office chair 2Tippon
    @tippon

Just to confuse matters, I’ve just seen this on Ebay:

Chair

The footrest is calling to me :yahoo:

Participant
    Office chair 3JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee

I love the footrest on my electric reclining armchair, and use it a lot for naps during the day, or even when the wife’s back is playing her up and she’s restless overnight and I wake up at 5 or 6 in the morning, it’s the dog’s proverbial’s – but would I want to do that in an office chair??? I don’t really think so.

Participant
    @bullstuff2

I have a swivelling manual recliner, bought just before Christmas with the new chairs that my Gert and I “gave” each other as Chrimbo gifts. We had been measured for the chairs and they are great, but I spotted the swivel chair in another room of the store. It was exactly the same fabric and colour as the chairs, an ex-demo item on sale at less than half price. Tried it, liked it. Now I use it in preference to the chair that was measured and built for me. Reclines and swivels, so I can keep an eye out for my Gert if she is approaching from the rear. (That is a must!) :whistle: :yes:

I'm out.

Participant
    Office chair 2Tippon
    @tippon

it’s the dog’s proverbial’s – but would I want to do that in an office chair??? I don’t really think so.

Thanks to my kidney problems, I have to raise my legs every so often to prevent fluid build up, so a built in footrest and recliner would be nice. I doubt I’d be able to sleep in it though.

It’s a moot point now anyway. I decided to go for it, and in the time it took me to transfer money into my shopping account, it had sold out! :wacko:

Participant
    Office chair 3JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee

That’s annoying – and to make matters worse, the similar ( almost same ) ones on Amazon are £40 – £60 more!!

Participant
    @bullstuff2

I have similar kidney problems Ryan, complicated by an enlarged prostate. I have a (fortunately benign) cyst on my left kidney that is almost as big as the kidney itself. Watching TV, the reclining swivel chair is a big help in raising my legs, that is until my calf muscles lock up and my feet cramp, a result of rheumatoid arthritis spreading to my legs and feet. One reason why I walk a lot, it helps to stop that, but my last year’s Deichman shoes are about ready to be replaced now.

Organ donation? – When I peg out, there will be nothing left in any state to transplant!

I'm out.

Participant
    Office chair 4Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Deichman, best pair of shoes I ever had. Unfortunately one fell apart within months. Contacted the shop and they were gob smacked, asked for photos which were sent. I then heard from Decichman themselves with profuse apologies. Needless to say a replacement pair wasn’t an issue, but I’d bought them on holiday in Bridport and the model was now discontinued (I bought them in a sale). A cheque was dispatched that day.

Participant
    @bullstuff2

Yes I will certainly buy another pair when the current ones die Dave. That is an encouraging story, btw. When I bought mine, the sales assistant advised me to keep the box and receipt, “Because Deichman always replace or refund if something goes wrong.” I must have walked hundreds of miles in these, on all kinds of surfaces.

I'm out.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.