Forumite Forums General Topics Tech PC Talk Old bits and what to do with them?

• Creator
    Topic
    Louis
    Participant

I’m sorting through old bits I have to make space, and have found a bunch of items (list below). Any suggestions for what to do with them? Anywhere to sell them (I know not worth much)?

E6600 CPU; HD3850 GPU; 2x1GB Geil Black Dragon DDR2 800; 2x2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800…

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      The Duke
      Participant

The ram may be worth a bit, not much though.

I’d Keep the gpu, always good to have a spare or two for quick testing  Won’t be worth much.

Your best place would be to look at the prices on ebay and list them there,  It won’t be much in total, so then you have to factor in is it worth your time to package them and take them the post-office.

doctoryorkie
        Participant

As above.

RAM & CPU will go for a few quid on Ebay and will post as a large letter.

3850 not worth the bother. They sell for just over a tenner at auction. Post + fees would be prohibitive.

Laptop T420 i5 8GB SSD 2x Spinners Optimus GFX
          HTPC 5350 8GB SSD 2x Spinners Antec 300
          Desktop 2700K 16GB Revo x2 GTX570SC Antec900
          Server N54L 8GB SSD 6x Spinners HD6450

Louis
          Participant

Thansk guys. It occurs to me I could build a simple system for basic usage (for example for my mum), if I can get a micro atx board and small case for them. PSU too. Any suggestions? I’ve never bothered with the SFF stuff, so I don’t really know what’s small, cool (temperature wise), and quality. Also matx motherboards, I don’t know what’s available still in LGA 775 and is any good. Any suggestions if I follow that route? I can see some msi and gigabyte boards on ebay, but am totally clueless as to quality of them.

£30 odd for a mobo, another £30 odd for a small case after a quick google, and then maybe a 400 watt psu. Am I missing anything there or would that be sufficient to put together something little and awesome?

doctoryorkie
            Participant

Not really worth it.

A 3050 SoC would be a better starting point for a basic PC. http://www.ebuyer.com/749960-gigabyte-ga-n3050m-d3p-n3050-1-6ghz-vga-hdmi-7-1-channel-audio-micro-atx-motherboard-ga-n3050m-d3p

The running costs (electricity) alone should put you off 775. Add to that the fact you would be buying old tech with no warranty.

There is lots of choice.

Laptop T420 i5 8GB SSD 2x Spinners Optimus GFX
              HTPC 5350 8GB SSD 2x Spinners Antec 300
              Desktop 2700K 16GB Revo x2 GTX570SC Antec900
              Server N54L 8GB SSD 6x Spinners HD6450

Boris
              Participant

Which E6600 is it ?

A 2.4 GHz Core2 Duo E6600 or  a 3.06 GHz Pentium  E6600 ?

Never trust an atom - they make up everything !

Dave Rice
                Participant

Zoostorm Delta Pico Desktop PC £118.85

Intel Celeron 1037U 1.8GHz
                  4GB RAM + 500GB HDD + DVD Writer
                  Intel HD Graphics

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Professional 32/64bit Digital License Download Key £9.99

Louis
                  Participant

Which E6600 is it ? A 2.4 GHz Core2 Duo E6600 or a 3.06 GHz Pentium E6600 ?

Core 2 Duo.

Zoostorm Delta Pico Desktop PC £118.85 Intel Celeron 1037U 1.8GHz 4GB RAM + 500GB HDD + DVD Writer Intel HD Graphics Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Professional 32/64bit Digital License Download Key £9.99

That’s tiny. No space for a GPU though, and part of the appeal of the idea is using the bits I have. Are there any out there that would have a PCIx16 slot?

Dave Rice
                    Participant

Why would you want to use a GPU in such a machine? The Intel graphics are more than up to anything you’re going to use it for.

Boris
                      Participant

Which E6600 is it ? A 2.4 GHz Core2 Duo E6600 or a 3.06 GHz Pentium E6600 ?

Core 2 Duo.

Shame – the Pentium E6600 has a slightly better  S/H value.

Never trust an atom - they make up everything !

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Shopping cart

image/svg+xml

No products in the cart.

Continue Shopping
                      Forumite