Forumite

Older friend ripped off.

HOME Forums Tech PC Talk Older friend ripped off.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Dave Rice 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Whole family is incensed and disgusted by this. My daughter and her children, now 14 and 25, grew up next door to a retired Dutch Master Mariner. They have known and loved him all their lives and he is now 90+ but still hale and hearty, all his marbles intact and independent, living in a small bungalow at the side of my daughter’s cottage. He recently decided to upgrade his ancient broken desktop, but didn’t ask anyone else “because I didn’t want to bother you.” He went to a computer shop in Mablethorpe and they charged him over £100 to ‘repair’ it. It still didn’t work, so he took it back. They ‘had a look at it’ and told him it was not repairable, charging him £60 for that so-called check.

Grandson was particularly upset, as in his work he could have supplied his old honorary granddad with a system, and charged nothing. Now myself and my SIL are going to the shop, after first contacting Trading Standards so that we have something to challenge the owner with, unless he pays back this money. The whole family loves this old guy, who made the UK his home many years ago and has become an unofficial but well-loved relative. To live here all these years and then be ripped off like this, is absolutely sickening. We are taking up the cudgels on his behalf.

If it’s the Psychic Network why do they need a phone number?

What’s right is what’s left if you do everything else wrong.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 4,504

That sucks Bob.

Good on you and the SIL for fighting on his behalf.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 4,562

Thanks Nolan. SIL is a big Brummy lad who looks murderous, if you didn’t know him you would not know what a quiet, sensitive bloke he is really. Says he’s going to keep me in check, cheeky bugga!😊 I have a great relationship with him and so does my son. When we can understand the Brumish!

If it’s the Psychic Network why do they need a phone number?

What’s right is what’s left if you do everything else wrong.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 3,373

I see this a lot. PC World have legalised it.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thank you for visiting Forumite. If you appreciate the site please consider a donation to show your appreciation.
Take Me There!
close-image