Forumite

@oldles and Others. Bread making.

HOME Forums Food and Drink Recipes @oldles and Others. Bread making.

• Creator
    Topic
    Keymaster
    RSB
    @bdthree

I know or I am guessing les dos’nt use a bread maker but hopefully some one can give me some tips and recipes as I am getting no where fast with my bread machine. All I want is just plain white bread. It’s not much to ask. 🙄

Americans: Over Sexed, Over Payed and Over here, Wat Wat!

Forumite Donations Paypal.me/forumite

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 6,653

I had one for years until it broke.

The manufacturers recipes are generally just a guide. Too many variables for it be exact.

Unless you can use the exact same flour and yeast, even salt, all the time it’s trial and error.

You will get a feel for what works eventually, just stick with it.

I used to really like the super dense brown bread, like a brick. One slice was about the same as 3 normal white sliced ones.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 15,216

Key thing is to put the yeast and salt in opposite corners as the salt kills the yeast. You also need live yeast, make sure yours is not time expired.

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 12,953

Bread can be made in a slow cooker if you don’t have a bread maker. I’ll ask my old mate for the recipe.

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Participant
    Les.
    @oldles
    Forumite Points: 1,714

Oldles certainly does make his own bread. However, it is wholemeal, not white.

We use an oldish Panasonic. and i think they are about the best machines. OK, I have only tried machines (often unmarked) acquired at the amenity site, at least four other makes, and so far the Panasonic is best.

Edp is correct about salt doing its best to kill yeast, but having said that, I have tried separating the two asEdp says, but find no difference to when Tamara makes it, and I can not influence how she does it.

You must use strong bread flour. We used flour from our local millers (Laxey Mills), which uses Manx cereals (wheat) only. If we get big seasonal variations, the “rise” varies. About two years ago, there was a sudden deterioration in the loaf’s rise. I rang the mills, and it seemed they had changed the bran content from about 8% to around 11%. I had a chat with the baker at a local bread and cake shop, and he said he used very little of their wholemeal, and that the best flour was from Canada, and he gave me about a kilogram to try. Big difference. For my own interest, I wrote a report, which measurements of the loaf height, and photos. i decided to send a copy to Laxey mills, but contacts were blocked by a now out of date”Captcha” system, so they never got it. We then tried wholemeal flour from M&S, very good. More recently we tried the Laxey product again, and it was very good, so we only use that now.

If I wanted white bread, I would change to 100% strong white, and probably halve my yeast content.

On the topic of not using a machine, I tried a different method whilst Tamara was away. She thought it was stupid, when we had a machine to do everything for us. I did a “normal ” mix, loaded it into the bread machine, and let it run, until it had dropped in the fruit, then stirred that in. I then switched off, removed the dough and divided it into three lots. Each lot went into a small bread tin, and was stood on the rack above the Rayburn to rise, usually about one hour. When risen sufficiently, transferred to the oven at around 300 F (150C), and again one hour gave three small loaves. Two in freezer, one to eat directly.

I will attach a copy of my recipe, and anybody wanting my “report” can ask.

Les.

Participant
    Les.
    @oldles

OK, the recipe did not get through for some reason. If anybody wants it, contact directly with email.

Les.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

+1 for all Les’s comments. If you do not like a brick-like loaf, try the French bread recipe for your bread maker. This recipe normally makes even the worse loaf fluffy.

Participant
    Les.
    @oldles

A couple of times we had a BRICK loaf, usually with dodgy yeast or wholemeal flour.

However, most of our loaves try to climb out of the pan! There is a flap which falls to deposit any fruit or other additives. It does not retract, and most loaves have a line on top where they rose up to it during final bake.

I have had a couple of times when the power went off, maybe just after the start of the bake cycle. I extracted the remains, into the Rayburn, and excellent loaf. Like many failures, it lead me to my personal design of bread maker. Now it I had the computing skills, the Micom would be replaced to give a MUCH BETTER loaf, which could use even less yeast than currently.

My notes are all there in my BREAD folder.

Les.

Keymaster
    RSB
    @bdthree
    Forumite Points: 7,279

Not such a bad attempt last night.

Participant
    PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 6,653

That looks pretty good to me Lee.

Keymaster
    RSB
    @bdthree

Cheers PM. Crust a bit tough so ill try a lighter setting tonight. But tastes good. Here is what I did.

225 ML Warm water. Warm in Microwave 1 maybe 1 1/2 Minutes. Just needs to be luck warm.

1 1/2 Table spoons of sugar.

2 TSP Of Yeast

425 G Flour

1 1/4 TEA SPOON SALT

3/4 TABLE SPOON OIL

1 Table spoon of milk powder

I am not sure milk powder makes any differance.

Put water in first, Then oil. Put salt, sugar in seperate corners. Put sived flour on top. Put a little hole on top of flour and put yeast in there. If you substitute milk powder for milk deduct the measurment from the water.

You may need to put a table spoon full of water in half way through mixing.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

The milk powder provides necessary fat, otherwise you are making a half-baked weird focaccia.

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 12,953

Here’s my old schoolmate Derek’s recipe, it’s also saved on my FB page:

Don’t panic if you can’t find bread in the shops, just make your own in the slow cooker 😄

Literally The Best Bread Recipe Ever (Adapted)

1/2 cup warm water
    2 cups of warm milk
    2 Tbsp melted UNSALTED butter
    1-3 tablespoons of sugar (add more if you like sweeter bread)
    3 tablespoons of active dry yeast (conservative side)
    6 cups of whole wheat flour (or 3 cups whole wheat & 3 cups all-purpose flour)
    2 teaspoons of salt
    1 teaspoon of baking powder

Grab a big bowl, and stir the 1/2 cup of warm water, 1 (or more) tablespoons of sugar, 3 tablespoons of yeast. Wait for 5 minutes (no longer – mine went all over the place the first time!) – it should be frothy on the top. While your waiting warm 2 cups of milk and 2 Tbsp of butter in microwave.

Next, add milk and butter to yeast mixture. Using a standing mixer slowly add the 6 cups of flour, 2 teaspoons of salt, and 1 teaspoon of baking powder. Mix and knead the dough. (I used dough hook once I had incorporated most of the flour for about 5 minutes then kneaded by hand for another 5-7 minutes.)

Line your slow cooker with cooking (baking) paper and place in your round ball of dough. I will rise in the slow cooker as it heats through. Cook on High power for 2- 2.5 hours. Start checking at every 7-10 minutes until top is sponge-y but springs back and no moisture on the top. The bottom should be a nice brown colour as well as sides. I put mine (just the loaf) in the oven on broil/grill for less than 5 minutes to get a nice crusty top too!

NOTE: You can use a tea towel on top if you want to avoid condensation dripping in down on the loaf. I haven’t tried this myself – let me know how you go!

*Use UNSALTED butter or adjust extra salt added!

*Add MORE sugar if you want a sweet bread like in the shops.

*If you can’t or are not skilled/practiced at kneading try the 50:50 ratio with whole wheat flour and all purpose flour, otherwise you will end up with a very dense loaf.

*Make sure it is completely cooked through – my loaf took 2 1/2 hours!!

Slice and enjoy as whole grain toast or sandwich bread!

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Keymaster
    RSB
    @bdthree

@edps Never thought of that. May swap the oil and powder for a bit of butter.

@bullstuff2 I will have a go at that in the breadmaker. On a smaller scale.

Participant
    TCBarrett
    @tcbarrett
    Forumite Points: 406

Uploads not playing nicely.

Here’s a Google photo link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/WMcrrhL1Ce26rK8b8

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by TCBarrett.

Family. Coffee. CrossFit. WordPress. にほんご。

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support Forumite

Choose between a one off contribution or a subscription. 

It only Takes a Minute or two.
Lets Go!
close-link