One for Dave!

HOME Forums Reading, Books and Audio Books Comics One for Dave!

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Dave Rice 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

This one is for Dave R: some geographical news for you, Dave:

http://tinyurl.com/y66jur8h

Made Oi Larf!

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

Spread the love
Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 1,951

Sounds about right for the trendy parts of Bristol around the old docks and Clifton (where the suspension bridge is). However most of it isn’t like that!

We did have some students renting next door so most weekends it did smell like Amsterdam though. But they didn’t have red trousers and as they went to the University of the West of England (Bristol Poly as was) wouldn’t be public schoolboys.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 2,780

Dave I have signed biographies from most Nottingham Forest players, but the most interesting (often alarming!) was by Larry Lloyd, born and bred in Bristol, first played for the club he supported as a kid, Bristol Rovers. Went on to play for Liverpool, then restarted his career at Forest, where he won so much including the European Cup. Twice.

One of the really interesting parts of his life is that his dad was born blind, and was Larry’s hero. His dad met his mum at a blind person’s club in Bristol. His mum wasn’t blind, but her parents both were, which meant that Larry had a blind father and two blind maternal grandparents.

I actually met him first in Ilfracombe on holiday: I was going back to my guest house from the beach at dusk when this big bloke loomed out of the gloom, with a child on each shoulder. I had a long conversation with him. Years later, I met him several times at Forest Supporters Club functions. He always had time for us fans and he never lost his accent. He is still a fans’ hero in Nottingham and has a show on local radio. A very nice, polite guy, who became a monster on a football pitch!

“Larry Lloyd – Hard Man, Hard Game” is much more interesting than the title suggests. Meeting the man reinforces that, he is intelligent and very, very funny.

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 1,951

I remember him. He would have left for Liverpool just before I went to my first Rovers match as a 11 yo kid.

Rovers have a long tradition of bringing on local kids and selling them on, Ian Holloway probably being the most famous. His f-i-l was in the bike club I used to run.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love