OS won't install

HOME Forums Tech Windows Talk OS won't install

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Jukebox 1 week ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Jukebox
    Participant
    @jukebox

A colleague’s laptop (HP Compaq nw9440) fouled up during a recent W10 update and thereafter failed to boot up. I tried to reload the OS using downloaded 1809 both with iso/cd and usb stick but in both cases it got as far as the windows logo but no further. I eventually got into the existing OS and added another user which worked OK so assumed the original user profile was corrupt and deleted it.

However I had already agreed to replace the HDD with a SSD and that arrived this morning but the OS still won’t load, again hanging at the windows logo. Any suggestions?

Spread the love
Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 1,195

Problem with the downloaded iso?

Jukebox
    Participant
    @jukebox
    Forumite Points: 344

Problem with the downloaded iso?

I don’t think so Tippon. I downloaded it again today just in case but still no good.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 2,285

Assuming it is the latest W10, then my bet would be bad drivers, especially the graphics driver. The other possibility is ‘bad’ software, Java and Apple have both given me problems as a W10 beta tester, as have graphics drivers.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 1,454

I’d check the ram as well. The other good test is try and whack Linux on there, shouldn’t take long.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 1,565

I have just been dealing with my own PC. I left it for a while and when I came back I could not do anything with the beast. I tried to wind back to a previous image and did all the usual things but no go. Happily it turned out that the issue was a failing and then failed keyboard which lost the ability to deal with certain keys. I have not had a problem like that before but it did show me how easily really stupid things can trip you up. Could it be that it was not the update but a machine error or failure that caused the issue? On the other hand it could be worth checking that the device in question is not one that HP have noted as having driver issues and did not want to update at this stage. As Dave suggested an alternative OS could confirm the hardware status and allow a better diagnosis. Do you have access to an older Windows 10 ISO to try?

Jukebox
    Participant
    @jukebox

Do you have access to an older Windows 10 ISO to try?

As it happened I found a copy of the 1703 iso which has installed OK. Question now is – if it’s a 1809 driver problem how do I stop it updating? !!

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 2,285

I would bug HP for updated drivers!

Jukebox
    Participant
    @jukebox

I would bug HP for updated drivers!

Unfortunately these laptops (actually described as mobile workstations) date from the XP days and HP don’t support them past Vista. Stupid really as they are well built sturdy machines and should last many years. My colleague has 3 of them (!); I have already installed an SSD in one which has a 64bit processor and 1809 installed OK. The one I’m working on at present is 32bit and so is the last one 🙁

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 1,565

Do you have access to an older Windows 10 ISO to try?

As it happened I found a copy of the 1703 iso which has installed OK. Question now is – if it’s a 1809 driver problem how do I stop it updating? !!

It may well be that it will not get the 1809 though it could get 1803. I would try to find out why it is still on 32 bit as that might give a clue to the possible issues. Whatever you do going forward I would keep an image for the time being as soon as the machine becomes stable. My 2008 Dell Inspiron threw some very hard to track down errors relating to the USB server. Warning, don’t use the MS error tracing software in an effort to resolve the issue: I ended up having to re-install to get out of the boot loop. It has since appeared to run happily with 1809, co-incidence or not, it is a 32 bit machine, it does not have enough memory to try 64 bit working.

Jukebox
    Participant
    @jukebox

1703 duly updated to 1803 and all seems OK. Many thanks to you all for your help/suggestions.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love