Tech PC Talk Overclocking

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Wheels-Of-Fire 4 months, 1 week ago. This post has been viewed 229 times

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Marc Berry
    Participant
    • Total Posts 85
    • @marc-knuckle
      Forumite Coins: 29

hi all

I now have the new pc up and running but have never had an amd cpu or nvidia gpu. Even the other parts I had were overclocked 5+ years ago.

So, if I overclock the ryzen 5 1600 a little, can I avoid increasing the volts as it has the stock cooler fitted? Also how do I overclock it safely? I.e. what settings to adjust for a small overclock?

The gpu. It came with its own software to use so can I use that and as I have NEVER overclocked a gpu, what settings should I overclock?

Cheers all, marc

Dave Rice
    • Total Posts 844
    • @ricedg
      Forumite Coins: 137

These days there’s little point. I haven’t overclocked anything for years.

The Duke
    • Total Posts 1799
    • @sgb101
      Forumite Coins: 225

I’d only bother, if it struggles with something you do often. That cpu should be more than fine for home/game use for may years.

If doing intensive tasks like rendering big videos if you do that often, you probably got the wrong cpu for the job.

keith with the teef
    Participant
    • Total Posts 166
    • @thinktank
      Forumite Coins: 30

Dont forget that GDDR5 is quad pumped. So if you decide to overclock the frame buffer on yer gfx card then dont get punching in silly numbers.

Or else! šŸ™‚

Marc Berry
    Participant
    • Total Posts 85
    • @marc-knuckle
      Forumite Coins: 29

Iā€™d only bother, if it struggles with something you do often. That cpu should be more than fine for home/game use for may years. If doing intensive tasks like rendering big videos if you do that often, you probably got the wrong cpu for the job.

Any point in overclocking the gpu at all then?

The Duke
    • Total Posts 1799
    • @sgb101
      Forumite Coins: 225

I’ve never O/C a gpu, I’ve had a play with the tools, but can’t recall ever permanently setting up an O/C profile for one.

My poor i7 920 has been o/c for years, (since new), but great gains could be had with that cpu, stock was 2.6ghz and you could easily take that to 4ghz, mine has been at 3.8ghz for the best part of a decade.

My i5 750, again 2.6ghz stock spent its first 5 years undercooked so I could run it fan less under the lounge tv. It would get bumped up to 4.1ghz for gaming, (fan back enabled) then back to underclock.

Now it’s at 4.1ghz iny lads room. Again it’s almost ten years old. Intel made the first gen ‘Core i’ to last.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 215
    • @grahamdearsley
      Forumite Coins: 72

In general if the games you play seem to run fine then I would say leave the GPU at stock settings. But if the game you want to play, with the setting you want to use, only manages 24 fps and you want to get that closer to 30 then you may have some luck with overclocking.

I have an AMD RX480 so I am not familiar with the latest NVIDIA software but I usually start with any presets provided and work up slowly from there.

Normally I try to get the memory as fast as I can without artifacting then move onto the GPU.

For specific settings have a look online for what others have done.

Good luck šŸ˜Š

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members Currently Active: 1
Sawboman
Keymaster | Moderator | Participant | Spectator | Blocked
Additional Forum Statistics
Threads: 983, Posts: 12,318, Members: 136
Welcome to our newest member, neucarepamphgesp
Most users ever online was 11 on June 5, 2017 1:36 pm