Forumite

Pancreatitis and a new diet.

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

My GP’s have been trying for almost a month, to get the hospital to recognise there is something really wrong with my internals. As the surgery is very well equipped, they have ended a number of tests and summarised the conclusion that I have suspected Chronic Pancreatitis. I have seen the letter, signed by the Practice Leader and added to by all 5 GP’s, which was sent to the consultant who discharged me after a day as suffering from ‘constipation’. The letter is quite something and i believe they all took part in order to share the fall-out.

“There is a reason this patient has severe abdominal pain and has lost almost 10 Kilos in a month. He cannot eat and is sick when he does.” He has bouts of diarrhoea and is very weak and tired.” Another “I have known this patient for 20 years, since I first came to the surgery. He has suffered many severe medical episodes but I have never known him to cease fighting and have never known him as depressed and low as he is now.” Yet another “The fact that this patient endured pancreatic cancer, survived losing part of his pancreas, spleen, lymph glands and chemotherapy, should have alerted professionals to the red light that is (in our opinion) Pancreatitis, or at the least, pancreatic inflammation.”

It goes on in that vein (no pun here) and ends with a veiled threat to take my case higher. I cannot express my gratitude and admiration for their support. They have set me upon a diet: no fat, red meat, cake, anything greasy. Fish, chicken, lean pork, Pasta, certain noodles, brown rice, plain yoghurt and other similar foods.

So this evening I sat down to: boneless chicken thigh, egg noodles and peas. And thoroughly enjoyed it, but because I have not eaten properly for a while, I am now stuffed. I have actually been feeling better over the last few days, although still tired while managing 8+ hours sleep a night. Haven’t been sick for 3 nights and the fact that food is staying in place and being digested, means nourishment is reaching the parts again. Today I went to the Co Op as I know they have the best selection of the foods I need, and brought home enough for a week.

Onward and upward! (Or maybe downward :yahoo: )

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 9,247

“boneless chicken thigh, egg noodles and peas”

I have that most Monday nights (the Mrs running club night so individual meals) in a stir fry. A little rapeseed oil for the frying and a sachet of stir fry sauce. Ring the changes with the sauce. Yum.

I don’t know if you’re allowed the sauce sachets but a bit of soy sauce and some ginger and garlic paste is pretty good (I’d normally put some chilli in that too).

Participant
    The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 11,594

We have stirfrys a few times a week. Id rather have the sachet of black been sauce. But if you can’t, a bit of soy and ginger like Dave says will be good.

Healthy and super easy and fast to make. If you can’t do rapeseed oil, the spay oils also work. But give the next to zero fat content in the meal, the oil is probably better to have than not have. Also it’s such a little amount, I doubt it matters either way.

A chilly infused oil is good, it doesn’t give a kick, more a hint of flavour.

If your guts ant in the best shape, I won’t add bean sprouts to your stir-fry. They can be “windy”, and they are one of the biggest caused of food pointing out there. You need to treat them with respect lol.

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 13,463

Thanks Dave and Steve, can’t use oil or any kind of grease, but can use the spray oil, just a tiny squirt. This morning I was back on the porridge, one egg for lunch, crusts off the soldiers. No biccies now, just a Natural yoghurt. Thought I would hate that, but took it slowly and liked it by the time I finished. Can’t eat fruit pulp, so I am juicing lots of oranges. Lots of stuff I can’t list it all, cannot eat any more. Never did eat lots of chips, but loved cod in batter, that’s out. Tonight, thick Tomato and Basil soup, a fresh Salmon fillet. Going to our fresh fish seller tomorrow, looking for Sea Bream.

After speaking to my GP, he explained what happens: Pancreas is damaged, slowly recovering some function, but the damage is causing it to produce the wrong sort of enzymes and they are causing pain and other problems. Hey ho, on I go, down another dark path.

I'm out.

Participant
    PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 7,356

Sorry to hear that Bob.

I myself had to change my diet recently, I had to cut down on fibre and stop having dairy due to suspected IBS.

Autistic people are more likely to suffer issues with their guts and my stomach is also slightly damaged from the oral medication I was on for my arthritis.

Thankfully the stomach pain is much better than it was and I don’t need to be near a bog soon after I eat anymore.

I really miss my brown bread, butter and banana sandwiches. :negative:

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 16,464

My thoughts are with you Bob. Best of luck!

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

Thanks Nolan & Ed.

As I have a Parastomal hernia, I carry my bog around with me!

Today we took in a delivery for our senior grandson, to collect on his way up to his flat above ours, when he finished work. It was all Japanese foods and sauces, direct from Japan. Some had to be removed from the boxes and chilled in the fridge: that was in an insulated jacket that had remained chilled, all the way from Japan in less than a day. Big bottle of Sake, all kinds of sauces, many different noodles.

He has been working his way through Japanese and Korean foods and recipes for a while, has even received recipes for Japanese burgers. Twice a week he has resumed inviting mum and sister for meals, but not for Asian food. He experiments with making his own burgers and other dishes, then serves them up to mum and kid sister.

Nolan, I see the Autistic reference: gson has Aspergers but obviously no digestive problems, quite the opposite. He does have social interaction issues and is only OK with work people and family, others he knows very well for a long time. In view of his Asian food kick and IT expertise, I jokingly suggested that he learns Japanese and moves to a Tokyo workplace. He gave a thoughtful look…

What have I done? But his severely dyslexic cousin has digestive trouble. Can’t eat veg, makes him ill. He’s a carnivore.

I'm out.

Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 5,466

Hi Bob, best of luck with the new regime. Some of your breakfast/lunch ingredients sounded familiar. I realised they were a part of the Slimming World Magic Pancakes that the wife eats when she wants a change for breakfast. I actually tried them once and they aren’t at all bad.

Ingredients/instructions as below.

Ingredients
    35g porridge oats
    half muller light ( Natural would substitute )  yoghurt
    2 tbsp granulated sweetener
    2 eggs

Instructions
    place your 35g of porridge oats in a bowl & mix with ( Natural would substitute ) half a muller light yoghurt
    leave this mixture overnight in the fridge
    Then in the morning whisk 2 eggs into the mixture
    Add 2 tbsp of sweetener
    Pre heat a large frying pan and spray with fry light – medium heat
    Use a desert spoon and measure out roughly 12 small pancakes
    Fry one side for about 4-5 minutes until it stops bubbling
    Flip over and cook for further 3-4 minutes until golden brown
    Serve with some fresh fruit of your choice or any other syn free accompaniment ( or not ).

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

Supposedly the Japanese/Korean habit of eating fermented vegetables (think Kimchi, Miso, Natto and Soya sauce etc) are very good for both gut and heart health. While I really like Asian food I could never quite bring myself to join in with the Korean winter-time habit of eating dog. :negative:

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

Thanks JCD, I have just learned from yesterday’s unread email from my GP’s, that porridge is not suitable for me now. Apparently the small size of some grain messes with the enzymes that have to be allowed to leave ASAP. That was sent yesterday: they are taking turns to ask me to post what I eat each day, then tell them any reaction. Well, last night I was sick again, finally got to sleep around 3am. Posted that, will have a response tomorrow. Hey, do I have a great surgery or what? They are determined to keep me breathing! Tonight, small Salmon fillet, Farfalla pasta and broccoli. Small snacks throughout the day is advised, instead of 3 larger meals. Earlier, thick, proper Tomato soup, which I love. Cornflakes for brekkers. I feel OK atm, things appear to be moving in the correct direction, if you get me. Going to beat this.

Ed I will borrow some of gson’s Soy for the pasta I think. Pasta sauces are not recommended, got to keep out any oily stuff.  Do not fancy fermented veg though! Any advice regarding a non-oily sauce for pasta? A bit monotonous without. And I think I am giving myself overlarge helpings of pasta. Weight still falling: 68 Kilos now.

I'm out.

Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee

Any advice regarding a non-oily sauce for pasta?

What about adding a portion of stir-fry sauce to your pasta, they come in a wide range of flavours and they’re low fat ( <1g fat per sachet and <0.2g saturated ) – I’m presuming that’s non-oily.

Shame about the porridge, but never mind. :good:

We have a friend who is having a problem with Thrombosis in her legs. She has been on injected thinners, but now they want to put her on tablet thinners, but they have to do it carefully. She was in pain so she went in to her local walk in clinic and they checked her out, e-mailing her GP with details and a recommend for different tablets. When she got home there was a message on her answer machine from her GP with his home number to call him back on. He had already arranged with the ( Sunday ) out of hours pharmacy to deliver to her the new tablets. Plus a follow-up appointment for during the week to check progress.

I was very impressed. :yahoo:

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 6,103

Have they tried you on pancreatin Bob ?

I am prescribed 4 Creon 10000 capsuals before each meal. Its meant to help with the brakedown of carbohydrate and stop the formation of gas in people who have a damaged pancreas.

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

I don’t have much time tonight guys.

Consultant brought bad news and worse news earlier. Bad: after the PET scan, now Monday, because I still have the bowel blockage, he goes in to take some bowel and the cancer, once the PET shows exactly where it I.

Worst news, he finds it has spread. In which case he takes the bowel to give me time.

First option: if successful I am a diabetic. Second: a matter of time. Guys,if you don’t hear from me for a month after Tuesday week, draw your own conclusions. The only part of all this that upsets me, is the effects upon my wife and family. For myself, I had a good life, a blast in many ways. But it breaks my heart to leave them or to be a burden on them.

But I am still here, still kicking.

I'm out.

Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee

Worst news, he finds it has spread. In which case he takes the bowel to give me time.

The bad news you can manage!! It’s not great, but you’ve coped over the last few years with problems – this is just another on the list. The worse news isn’t as bad as you think, because as you say, it gives you time.

You’ve dealt with a lot over the last few years, at least this will give you a chance , if not in your own time, at least on your terms.

Sorry if this sounds a bit Gung Ho or blase, but I had a glimpse of your situation a few years ago and knowledge is power – what you do with it is under your control – not a lot else is.

Good luck and God bless – that may not inspire your faith, but it can help others to cope.

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 9,247

Good luck Bob.

Participant
    PlaneMan
    @planeman

Good luck Bob. Hoping for the best outcome. :good:

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

Thanks guys. Feel a bit brighter after some sleep, I find that if I go to sleep thinking about a problem, my attitude towards it has changed. My subconscious is smart!

JCD, thanks for that. Time is basically what I am hoping for. I want to sit with my missus and teach her stuff that she has always resisted. I know I should have been more forceful before, but my tiny SWMBO is an immovable object at times.

It’s better in here now that there are 2 more blokes: I was alone in a 4 man cubicle for a week. Anyone who has been in a cancer ward will know how busy the staff are, due to the nature and demands of cancers. I am now convinced that there may be a case for some treatment and ops being –  ? – delayed. In 2018, this very same ward was full and patients were shuttled in and out asap, to be replaced immediately.

Just been weighed. I am 10 stone 8 pounds. Never been that weight since I was first an adult. Now trying to be released from “K9” the appendage connected to my piping and bags of various liquids/ substances.

I'm out.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

All the best Bob. We are all here soundlessly cheering you on!

Participant
    Les.
    @oldles
    Forumite Points: 1,757

Bob, what can I say? You have my best wishes. You seem to have had a sh*t  of a time recently. You make me feel guilty for getting out on the ;bike while you are stuck there. I thought of you a week ago when it was my b’day. I did a little video, not the same as last year’s log splitting. Just stay around and I will do another one next year “just for you”.

Keep smiling you owd bugger.

Les.

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

Thanks Les.

I haven’t been here much because I am in a lot of stomach pain and reflux atm. My intubation stopped drawing up bile for 2 days caused that. Then last night it started working again and today it filled to bursting twice, just been emptied and began filling up again immediately. I may get some sleep tonight, ready for the op tomorrow. That may take away the worst of the pain. My missus is getting some good support, because I contacted my oldest friend Mary (grew up together from babies, lived next door) Mary has organised a bunch of other friends to call my Dianne and chat. All the same age, some have had cancers. Two of my niece’s also call her and cousins from Stoke.

Guys as I say, tomorrow is the big day. I know it’s wrong, but I can’t shake a bad feeling about this op. Oh I’ll fight, but I never had this feeling before. Hopefully I will be here in a couple of weeks to say how wrong I was.

If I’m right, then let me say that I have enjoyed your company and appreciated your help when I requested it. This forum has been something else, but a forum is only as good as its membership. And that makes it something else!

I'm out.

Participant
    PlaneMan
    @planeman

You better be back.

We NEED more stories!

Best of luck Bob. :good:

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 76 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.