Forumite

Pancreatitis and a new diet.

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

My GP’s have been trying for almost a month, to get the hospital to recognise there is something really wrong with my internals. As the surgery is very well equipped, they have ended a number of tests and summarised the conclusion that I have suspected Chronic Pancreatitis. I have seen the letter, signed by the Practice Leader and added to by all 5 GP’s, which was sent to the consultant who discharged me after a day as suffering from ‘constipation’. The letter is quite something and i believe they all took part in order to share the fall-out.

“There is a reason this patient has severe abdominal pain and has lost almost 10 Kilos in a month. He cannot eat and is sick when he does.” He has bouts of diarrhoea and is very weak and tired.” Another “I have known this patient for 20 years, since I first came to the surgery. He has suffered many severe medical episodes but I have never known him to cease fighting and have never known him as depressed and low as he is now.” Yet another “The fact that this patient endured pancreatic cancer, survived losing part of his pancreas, spleen, lymph glands and chemotherapy, should have alerted professionals to the red light that is (in our opinion) Pancreatitis, or at the least, pancreatic inflammation.”

It goes on in that vein (no pun here) and ends with a veiled threat to take my case higher. I cannot express my gratitude and admiration for their support. They have set me upon a diet: no fat, red meat, cake, anything greasy. Fish, chicken, lean pork, Pasta, certain noodles, brown rice, plain yoghurt and other similar foods.

So this evening I sat down to: boneless chicken thigh, egg noodles and peas. And thoroughly enjoyed it, but because I have not eaten properly for a while, I am now stuffed. I have actually been feeling better over the last few days, although still tired while managing 8+ hours sleep a night. Haven’t been sick for 3 nights and the fact that food is staying in place and being digested, means nourishment is reaching the parts again. Today I went to the Co Op as I know they have the best selection of the foods I need, and brought home enough for a week.

Onward and upward! (Or maybe downward :yahoo: )

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Viewing 20 replies - 41 through 60 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 9,287

I’ve just seen Bob talking to a mate on FB and it seems he’s still very rough. There is more surgery to go and they need to fatten him up a bit first. He’s hoping to get transferred to Louth for that.

I’ve sent him a quick supportive message and of course all the best from all here.

Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 5,490

Thanks, Dave.👍👍

Participant
    PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 7,395

Nice one Dave. :good:

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg

I’ve heard from Bob. He says he can manage 100 yards walking which TBH I think is pretty good considering and said so.

“All the best to you and Forumites. Won’t be back for at least 2 months”.

Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee

Excellent, please tell him that’s in my diary!! As you say, a month on after a very intrusive op a 100 yd walk is very promising. Hope the rest of him keeps up!! :yahoo:

Participant
    wasbit
    @wasbit
    Forumite Points: 1,366

So glad Bob’s on the mend.

I suspect he will read the forum even if he can’t post – so wishing you a speedy recovery Bob.

--
    Regards
    wasbit

Rig 1: Core i7/GA-H55M-UD2H - a Freegle donation
    Rig 2: The 'Dave Laptop Special' HP Elitebook 8440P
    The 'Dave Special' & '43 Special' found new owners but have now been scrapped.

Dear Starfleet, hate you, hate the Federation, taking Voyager. - Janeway

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Bob posted this on FB today.

Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee

It’s good to see he’s  out of his bed, sad that his new diet is all liquid, though. At least it’s progress. Hang in there Bob. :good: :yahoo:

Participant
    PlaneMan
    @planeman

Great news.

Thanks Dave. 👍 :good:

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 16,565

Thanks Dave, as usual please pass on the best wishes.

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Bob’s a bit down at the moment. Looks like the next op is on Wednesday to join some of his bowel back up, problem is the surgeon is openly musing in front of him about how tricky it’s going to be and he’s not sure how he’s going to do it.

I said to Bob its the sort of thing I do in front of customers when faced with a tricky situation. It drives my business partner wild (he’s the salesman type) and as he says you always find a way so why mention any issues? I think it’s actually a positive sign that the surgeon is going in with a proper plan and not just winging it (which is what my business partner does).

Any of you who have had a long hospital stay will know this is about the time you start a bit of despair and can’t see it ending, especially when there’s a big unknown coming around the corner and months ahead of recuperation. He’s feeling that there’s not much of Bob left, but I reminded him that “Bob” isn’t the mechanical bits he’s much more than that.

I will get back in touch with him on Tuesday, if not before, and wish him all the best. If any of you are on FB send him a friend request I’m sure he’ll be glad of it.

Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee

You don’t get to be a ( top/experienced ) surgeon without either having, or acquiring, an ego. A little bit like the builder sucking air through his teeth before loading your bill, making it sound more difficult than it is, and showing you just how good he is when the job is all done. At least Bob isn’t paying, so all the expertise is `free’!!

Give him our best wishes and tell him we’re waiting to hear back with ( maybe not ) all the details!! ;-) :whistle: :good:

Participant
    PlaneMan
    @planeman

Thanks again for the update Dave.

Please wish Bob all the best for the future from me.

Participant
    Richard
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 6,522

I have logged in after my long absence to add my best wishes and to agree all that Dave R said. Many of us will have heard, ‘I did not want to…’ or ‘I had to stop after taking many times the hours planned for this procedure…’ or ‘I went to several conferences and asked others what they thought about this case… no one liked the mess’.

Only the good think deeply, and worry before they have one more try to fix things the right way. It is depressing to know that someone who was once so  full of life, pride in his family and dynamism is getting crushed.

Please add my voice to those wishing him well, I hope this time it does go well and the fog of pain and painkillers starts begins clearance and the quality of his life improves. Get better Bob and let the world know that hope exists for a reason.

Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee

@sawboman – Hi Richard, it’s good to hear from you. Our Best Wishes spread in your direction as well as Bob’s. Stay well, stay safe. :good:

Keep forgetting to thank Dave for his efforts as intermediary. 👍👍

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by JayCeeDee.
    Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg

I’ve messaged Bob.

Having our own mini crisis here, daughter has had on off “tummy trouble” for years. Things came to a head on Sunday and after a call to 111 they sent an ambulance. Admitted to Southmead Hospital for further investigation of A&E’s gall bladder and liver blood tests. Turns out it’s gallstones but it looks like some have escaped and they’re going to try and find them. She’s OK but in a lot of pain when the drugs wear off, nothing life threatening but turning everything upside down with worried grandparents etc.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by Dave Rice.
    Participant
    PlaneMan
    @planeman

Hope it all works out OK Dave. :good:

Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee

Thanks for keeping Bob and us in the loop regarding his op etc, best of luck with the daughter.👍👍

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 16,565

Best wishes for your daughter. I have never had gall stones but I have had kidney stones – one of the worst experiences of my life, so I have a great deal of sympathy for anyone who has ‘stones’.

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg

She’s had an MRI scan, just waiting for the results. Looking less like a Simpson according to the Mrs – only 1 nominated person per day can visit and she needs her mum more than me. WatsApp for me and her bros / mates. She’ll be fine, I’m glad it’s come to a head as the GP has been useless.

Had a bit of a chat with Bob earlier:

Me: “If I’ve read it right you have an op tomorrow? All the best from everyone and see you when you’re back.”

Bob: “Yes the first of two. It’s really a rearrangement of stomas under anaesthetic. They are trying to find a way to reduce stomas to two. I have been complaining for days about pain down there. All I got was a quick look and “back in a bit” which never happened. Then a bag fell off an older, senior nurse gave everyone in sight a b********g before finding the problem, cleaning me thoroughly and getting a doc to stitch up the area where the leak came from. I am honestly exasperated with some of the nurses here. I have used the call button and waited 2 hours for a response. The contrast with my previous stay here in 2018, is marked. Thanks for the messages Dave, sometimes I am too ill to reply.

I’ll keep an eye out, when he’s posting on FB again I’ll message. Might be a while.

Viewing 20 replies - 41 through 60 (of 76 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.