Forumite

Pancreatitis and a new diet.

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

My GP’s have been trying for almost a month, to get the hospital to recognise there is something really wrong with my internals. As the surgery is very well equipped, they have ended a number of tests and summarised the conclusion that I have suspected Chronic Pancreatitis. I have seen the letter, signed by the Practice Leader and added to by all 5 GP’s, which was sent to the consultant who discharged me after a day as suffering from ‘constipation’. The letter is quite something and i believe they all took part in order to share the fall-out.

“There is a reason this patient has severe abdominal pain and has lost almost 10 Kilos in a month. He cannot eat and is sick when he does.” He has bouts of diarrhoea and is very weak and tired.” Another “I have known this patient for 20 years, since I first came to the surgery. He has suffered many severe medical episodes but I have never known him to cease fighting and have never known him as depressed and low as he is now.” Yet another “The fact that this patient endured pancreatic cancer, survived losing part of his pancreas, spleen, lymph glands and chemotherapy, should have alerted professionals to the red light that is (in our opinion) Pancreatitis, or at the least, pancreatic inflammation.”

It goes on in that vein (no pun here) and ends with a veiled threat to take my case higher. I cannot express my gratitude and admiration for their support. They have set me upon a diet: no fat, red meat, cake, anything greasy. Fish, chicken, lean pork, Pasta, certain noodles, brown rice, plain yoghurt and other similar foods.

So this evening I sat down to: boneless chicken thigh, egg noodles and peas. And thoroughly enjoyed it, but because I have not eaten properly for a while, I am now stuffed. I have actually been feeling better over the last few days, although still tired while managing 8+ hours sleep a night. Haven’t been sick for 3 nights and the fact that food is staying in place and being digested, means nourishment is reaching the parts again. Today I went to the Co Op as I know they have the best selection of the foods I need, and brought home enough for a week.

Onward and upward! (Or maybe downward :yahoo: )

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Viewing 20 replies - 61 through 80 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 5,636

Cheers, Dave. 👍👍

Two years is quick for a good hospital to go bad, but it could be a combination of management criteria changing and Covid duty taking preference, with the everyday care taking the hit. Whichever, here’s hoping that senior nurse is keeping an eye out for him.

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 9,540

Daughter back home after MRI scan showed stones are not lodged anywhere nasty, day surgery next week to have gall bladder removed. Drastic change of lifestyle and diet, long overdue, are on the cards.

Looking on FB it seems Bob is out of surgery but I’m not sure. Will keep an eye out.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 16,928

Good luck with lecturing your daughter over changing her lifestyle!! :wacko:

Hopefully the medical profession will take on that task, or you risk becoming a very unpopular parent.

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Already there mate, we’ve been trying for years. Holding off “I told you so” as we warned her she’d probably end up in hospital. She’s not even an alcohol / drug fiend, her diet and weird time keeping are that bad.

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Bob’s about, operation was successful, big one next week.

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 6,312

Can’t they use sonic shock treatment to break up the stones these days ?

Participant
    PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 7,529

Thanks again for the update Dave.

Hopefully the next op for Bob will also go well.

Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee

Fingers crossed for a good result and a better recovery. Cheers Dave. :good:

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

Fingers crossed for a good result and a better recovery. Cheers Dave. :good:

+1 to that sentiment! :good:

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg

W-O-F, that’s kidney stones. Gallstones are made of cholesterol and quite different. They can often be minute but then that makes a sludge that is just as troublesome.

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Latest from Bob, the German references came about from me mentioning my Oktoberfest beer tasting box and the new restaurant in Bristol paying homage to the dining scene of grand mittel-European cafes.

I wasn’t completely out during this latest op, just woozy. But as soon as I got back to the ward I crashed for 3 hours. Another on 28th of this month.
    I am walking with my stick now and washing myself in the bathroom, but am out of sync with the rest because I have to wait for my feeder to be disconnected and unhooked from the stand.
    Tubes are out of my stomach, gullet and nose. I feel more free for all that.
    I remember those beers, but can’t eat curry, although I loved bratwurst with lots of ketchup: German Vitakrone (?) which is much nicer than Heinz IMO. Morrisons used to sell it but strangely none of the German outlets have it.
    I turned my son on to bratwurst and he still loves it. The soup I liked in Germany was Ochsenschwansuppe mit Champing ons – oxtail soup with button mushrooms. Loved that, never found it again. Last time I went over I bought 6 cans to take back.
    Nebuliser time, have to go. Thanks for the contact Dave, all the best
    Bob.

Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee

That’s great that he’s more mobile and doing for himself, and free ( er ) of tubes etc, but just when he’s getting and feeling better, it’ll be time for another op and start the recovery process all over again. That’s a hard cycle to be going through, but he seems in good spirits. Tell him we want a Halloween treat from him, no shocks or tricks!! Wish him well on next contact please Dave, and thanks for keeping us in touch with him.👍

Participant
    PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 7,529

Nice one Dave. :good:

Good to hear that Bob is making progress.

Please wish him my best for the next op.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

Thanks Dave, please pass on my best wishes as well.

If Bob feels up to it, he may be interested in this link to the Doggerland Research group’s publications. Some may be a bit heavy going even for Bob as many are written in Dutch, but there are also a lot of English papers as well which cover the 2019 research expedition to the Brown Banks (probably an old estuary area).

http://www.academia.edu/Documents/in/Doggerland

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg

I’ve done that Ed.

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Bob says thanks, it’s a great link.

Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee

Another on 28th of this month.

Any update on the outcome/recovery at all, Dave?? I’ve located him on FB and sent a Friends request, but if you speak/message him first, can you let him know the FB account is in SWMBO’s name. Tell him it’s JCD not some random lonely female down south!! :yahoo:

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg

He’s been quiet for a while. I tend to leave him alone if I see he’s not active as that usually means he’s cream crackered.

Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee

Cheers, Dave. I’ll bear that in mind if he accepts the ‘invite’!!👍

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Update from Bob:

I know many of my family and friends have not heard from me here.
    I am still in Castle Hill Hull.
    Have been here since August 2nd.
    Last operation was supposed to be quicker and easier. NOT!
    More pain, more sickness, lost the use of my legs. Blood clots, conflicts in the meds making me talk to people who were not there.
    I am beginning to get better but it’s going to be a long road.
    I also understand those who give up. For the moment, I don’t give up. But it’s been close.

I’ll drop him a message tomorrow.

Viewing 20 replies - 61 through 80 (of 89 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.