Forumite

Pancreatitis and a new diet.

HOME Forums Health and Well being Ailments Pancreatitis and a new diet.

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

My GP’s have been trying for almost a month, to get the hospital to recognise there is something really wrong with my internals. As the surgery is very well equipped, they have ended a number of tests and summarised the conclusion that I have suspected Chronic Pancreatitis. I have seen the letter, signed by the Practice Leader and added to by all 5 GP’s, which was sent to the consultant who discharged me after a day as suffering from ‘constipation’. The letter is quite something and i believe they all took part in order to share the fall-out.

“There is a reason this patient has severe abdominal pain and has lost almost 10 Kilos in a month. He cannot eat and is sick when he does.” He has bouts of diarrhoea and is very weak and tired.” Another “I have known this patient for 20 years, since I first came to the surgery. He has suffered many severe medical episodes but I have never known him to cease fighting and have never known him as depressed and low as he is now.” Yet another “The fact that this patient endured pancreatic cancer, survived losing part of his pancreas, spleen, lymph glands and chemotherapy, should have alerted professionals to the red light that is (in our opinion) Pancreatitis, or at the least, pancreatic inflammation.”

It goes on in that vein (no pun here) and ends with a veiled threat to take my case higher. I cannot express my gratitude and admiration for their support. They have set me upon a diet: no fat, red meat, cake, anything greasy. Fish, chicken, lean pork, Pasta, certain noodles, brown rice, plain yoghurt and other similar foods.

So this evening I sat down to: boneless chicken thigh, egg noodles and peas. And thoroughly enjoyed it, but because I have not eaten properly for a while, I am now stuffed. I have actually been feeling better over the last few days, although still tired while managing 8+ hours sleep a night. Haven’t been sick for 3 nights and the fact that food is staying in place and being digested, means nourishment is reaching the parts again. Today I went to the Co Op as I know they have the best selection of the foods I need, and brought home enough for a week.

Onward and upward! (Or maybe downward :yahoo: )

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Viewing 20 replies - 81 through 100 (of 122 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 6,522

I know what he means about the meds. Apparently morphine doesn’t mix well with the residual effects of a general anesthetic and tramadol. Had me seeing people and things that weren’t there, large as life.

Participant
    PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 7,726

Thanks for that Dave.

Please wish him my best.

WOF, I’ve had really bad reactions to certain medication over the years.

I blacked out, bounced of a wall, tumbled down some concrete steps and aggressively fought the ambulance crew who came to take me for a checkup.

So I’m told. No idea at all. Lost 48 hours due to one dose of ‘safe’ medication.

I came around, restrained to a hospital bed with a copper either side of me. :negative:

Not my best few days…

Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 5,799

Cheers, Dave – it’s good news that Bob is still with us, less than good that he’s still in hospital and suffering there!! As an elderly friend that I knew 20+ years ago used to say, ” Considering the alternative, I’m doing fine!!”

Send him our thoughts and best wishes. 👍👍

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 17,429

+1 to the thoughts and best wishes. :good:

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 9,804

Bob seems back to himself as far as posting on FB goes, but I think he’s been through it a bit this time.

Participant
    PlaneMan
    @planeman

That’s great.

Thanks again Dave.

When possible please give him my best wishes.

Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee

Cheers, Dave. Next time you talk, or whatever, wish him well and tell him he’s got a ‘Friend’ request from my Missus, I can’t do much until he accepts it.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

Dave, please pass on some Doggerland links for Bob.

https://www.livescience.com/search?searchTerm=doggerland

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Done

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Latest from Bob last night via Messenger:

“I will be home by December 18, not cured but having care services at home. Back again in March if I make it for one last procedure. Consultant says if they have a look then, I’m either clear or into a hospice. Brutal truth!”

If there’s anyone strong enough to deal with the truth it’s Bob. I’m sure he’s going to get spoiled rotten this Christmas.

Participant
    Richard
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 6,549

I look from time to time to see if Bob had made any progress. It is upsetting that he is still in at medical cross roads. Wishing him well is such a limited and feeble action but it all that I can do. Yes, he has admirable spirit, and it is great that he will be home for Christmas. It is certain that his family will rally round and put him at the centre of their thoughts and actions. Please tell him, that of course we are all rooting for him, and hoping against hope that the road to March will bring better news, perhaps even the best news.

Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee

Our thoughts and prayers are with Bob for the best result, come March.🤞🤞 He’ll be home by my birthday, so I’ll be having an ( extra :good: ) tipple that night, on his behalf, wishing him well.

Brutal truth is what you need, even though it may not be what you may want!! Full information, full facts. I well remember my diagnosis. Initially, at local level, the consultants tell you to stay off the internet, phrase things specifically, couch things in vague/arcane terms and terminology, staying away from the “C” word, so much so that when we transferred to the Marsden and the consultant in conversation said “Your cancer……….” the wife wanted to hit him!! After that, I told every consultant and registrar to give it to me straight, and bless them, they did.

Bob’s first challenge will be mobility, extended hospital stays are the worst, especially in later life, where things stop working the way they used to as a norm!!!

During my first hospital stay after the car crash, which was extended by a fortnight waiting for a special piece of equipment to insert a rod inside the bone between my knee and ankle, I was laying still, with one leg operated on and plated, while the other was in an open cast. The worst pain of almost the entire stay was after the op and recovery when, after 5 weeks of not moving under my own steam, I got physio to get my joints mobile again. That was pillow biting stuff!! Only exceeded when they thought that I’d been on morphine for too long and wanted to use a local in my leg. It had to be administered just above the bone and the only way they could precisely locate it was by the needle touching the bone, then coming back 1/4″. They pulled me off the ceiling for that one.

Stay strong and stay safe Bob.👍👍

I look from time to time to see if Bob had made any progress.

Great to hear from you, Richard, hope all is well with you and your family. :good: We miss you and Bob – your missives would keep us smiling, which is what we all need these days. :-) :yahoo: It’s a quieter forumite without you both. :yes:

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

+1 to all the thoughts for both Bob and Richard. :good:

Participant
    PlaneMan
    @planeman

Thanks yet again Dave.

+1 to all the thoughts for both Bob and Richard. :good:

What Ed said.

Participant
    The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 11,810

I seen on FB the other day bob saying he would be out soon. I felt really bad as I’ve spoke to home once or twice but never realised he was in Ozzy.

Too wrapped up in my own life. A real good guy bob is

Participant
    Richard
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 6,549

Just a brief offer of season’s greetings to all, at this stressful time and a special wish that Bob’s Christmas will be the very best that it can be.

Perhaps, if he can see or hear, it might be of comfort that people are thinking of him at what will be an especially challenging time.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

Best wishes to all for Christmas and the New Year. I hope that everyone finds them less challenging than this year!

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley

Oh no they won’t !

I went for my 6 month routine blood test on monday and I just got a message from my Doctor (9.43 pm) saying my Potassium level is dangerously high at 6.1. He has booked me a retest at 7.30 am tomorrow in their emergency clinic but he says if I feel unwell then I should go to A&E immediately.

Well I do feel unwell but sod that for a game of soldiers, I will go for the test but I am NOT spending ANOTHER Christmas in hospital.

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Stop eating the banana splits Bingo.

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley

Good one Dave. LaLaLa La LaLa La and so on :-)

Viewing 20 replies - 81 through 100 (of 122 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.