Forumite

PAYG Sim Card

HOME Forums Other Stuff PAYG Sim Card

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by johnbarry 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

• Creator
    Topic

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

Dad used to have a simple PAYG sim card, you put a tenna on you spent a tenna, top up another tenna and spend a tenna (phone call or text)

Can you still get those, today when you want a sim card it comes with a bundle air time minutes text internet.

He is 80 and I can’t explain internet to him.

It's said to be easy when you know how. If you don't know how, then you need the help of forumites.

Cheers
    John

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 4,183

You can still get PAYG Sim only deals but yes a lot are bundles.

Tesco do what they call their Triple Credit tariff and is still pay for what you use. The name comes from the fact that they triple your top up with a months worth of credit of double what you paid in that lasts a month.

So if on 1st December you topped up £10 they’d give you £20 extra to use in December. On 1st Jan you would only have whatever’s left of your original tenner. Great if you do >£10’s worth of calls and texts a month and nothing lost if you only do less than a tenner.

wasbit
    Participant
    @wasbit
    Forumite Points: 612

I have a PAYG SIM with EE for emergencies & to protect my landline – although I would never have the phone with me as it’s always left behind. Not monthly but I have to phone or text once every 180 days.

OT – On a visit to the dentist the receptionist said that they required my phone number. I refused to give it & she got quite snotty saying it was required in case of emergency. I replied that I had given the dentist my mobile number as he had expressed an interest in doing some wood turning. She said ok, that’s fine – it was pre the GDPR although the privacy aspect didn’t seem to worry her. I then asked her who would answer & where she thought my mobile phone would be if she rang it … in my pocket whilst I was sitting in the dentist’s chair. Doh!

--
    Regards
    wasbit

Rig 1: Zalman Media Centre Rebuild (i3-540)
    Rig 2: Hp Elitebook 8440P (The Dave Laptop Special)
    The Dave Special & The 43 Special are still giving sterling service with new owners

Dear Starfleet, hate you, hate the Federation, taking Voyager. - Janeway

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry
    Forumite Points: 3,035

Thanks Dave

He does have and like the triple credit, however the mobile went on the internet and used all his credit. I think he should not have a smart phone, then it wouldn’t connect?

Wasbit I had a Tesco PAYGO and last time I used it I had £8 of my money, I put it in dads smart to find my credit is no longer available. Your lucky it’s still on after 180 days to use it.

It's said to be easy when you know how. If you don't know how, then you need the help of forumites.

Cheers
    John

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 7,016

John, look at Smarty (it’s owned by 3) It could cost £5 a month for unlimited calls and texts to UK numbers, unused data is credited against the next bill.

Hit Lee up for a referral link and you could both get bonus month.

Switch the mobile data off on your dad’s phone if it’s a problem.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 4,072

If you wan’t to stop mobile data use John, can you set the data limit to zero ? If I set the limit to zero on my S7 it gives a warning but then turns off mobile data, I have to go back into setting and set a new limit to turn it on again.

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

Thanks PM I will look into Smarty. I turned mobile data off and it come back on. This is on a new Nokia 1.

Graham I will see if I can set the limit to zero.

Cheers
    John

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 4,712

John, WoF is not saying he manually turned data off, he is saying he set the data limit to zero.

The difference is if the phone turns off, next time it boots it will boot with data on (probably), but with data limit set to zero on boot the os will see that and not turn Thr data back on.

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

Thanks Duke

Of course he turns it off then on and yes it will turn data on. He went (without my knowledge) and purchased a tesco payg bundle put £10 on and get £10 free (for a month) and said google keeps downloading.

I give up (with him) but I will tell him of turning off and on, turn data back on and I will see if I can set data to 0

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by johnbarry.

Cheers
    John

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thank you for visiting Forumite. If you appreciate the site please consider a donation to show your appreciation.
Take Me There!