PC World…

HOME Forums Tech PC Talk PC World…

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by D-Dan 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Creator
    Topic

tadka
    Participant
    @tadka

Came back from a weekend getaway last night. Plusnet fibre has been activated but no modem. Got a new email – sorry we forgot but it’s okay because it will be here in 3 days … Nothing I can do but go to bed, an early start tomorrow. Today, after 14 hours at work I rock up at the PC World tired and hungry. Which is your cheapest modem? I explain the situation while he takes me to the isle. This one, £30. Thank you, pay up and go home. Open the box look at the back ports it’s router only… What a great service…

Spread the love
Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 1,719

I’m not surprised at all. I had a click and collect order of a cheap, big buttoned mobile for a friend of my mothers, SIM free, unlocked, as shown on the email confirmation.

Got to the shop and picked the order up, wrong phone, SIM locked to O2 and rude staff. For once I was glad I am knackered as I would have raised hell in that shop. First Direct were superb, money back in my account within 4 hours. Put a complaint in with Currys/Pc World, not heard anything. I tell everyone to avoid them now.

My Instagram

My YouTube

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 1,820

I have a small amount of sympathy for the staff who sold the cable or Ethernet only router rather than an ADSL one since it was almost certainly the cheapest in their shop; the wrong order was, or normally should have been packed more carefully, the store staff should have been able to read the order and see that the goods did not conform to the details and then handled it gracefully. Crap management, crap training and crap supervision, probably another case of pay peanuts get monkeys.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 1,814

They are primarily salesmen not techies, that’s the problem. BJM once got banned from PCW for stepping in and telling a customer they were being misled.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 2,593

The one computer store which had knowledgeable staff who would give good, sound Tech advice was Maplins. Look what happened to that: Management were not able to sort out development and costs, price of items was noncompetitive and the firm tanked. Another UK company with crap management.

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 1,820

Bob, I agree with your bitter comment on Maplin, a good idea but wreaked by financial stupidity. Potentially hugely profitable and with a real chance of being a useful addition to the hobbiest’s tool box, it became a financial black hole. Loaded with ever more high interest and totally pointless debit as each previous owner sold on to another foolish ‘investor’ who saw only the gross margin that was being made, not realising that a 60~75% margin was being swallowed by the interest that ensured a no hope situation.

Our local PC World has been a right ‘curates egg’, cheaper than Maplin sometimes holding interesting or useful stock, but with a staff who ranged between mildly helpful at the good end to rather dumb sales pushers and commission hunter/harvesters at the other. As Dave said, most are technically devoid of anything useful.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 1,216

The only reason to visit PC World is to pis… Ahem the only reason to visit PC World is if they have a really good deal on something specific that you knew you wanted anyway and you don’t want to wait for a delivery.

If at all possible reserve online, get in, check the contents of the box, pay and get out. Batting aside the sales people as you go 😁

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan
    Forumite Points: 1,028

Whenever I’ve been to PCWorld I just tell ’em I’m a Linux user. They go away of their own accord, then.

Ryzen 7 1800X, 16 GB, 6 (yes - 6) HDs inc 2 SSDs, 4 RPis - one as an NFS server with two more drives, PiHole (shut yours), Plex server, cloud server, and other random Pi stuff. Nice CoolerMaster case, NV GTX 1060 6GB, and a whopping 32" AOC 1440P monitor.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love