Forumite

Pebble Watch Replacement Needed

HOME Forums Tech Android Talk Pebble Watch Replacement Needed

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Richard 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

Unfortunately Fitbit have withdrawn all Pebble Watch from the Store at the same time I had to do a factory reset of my phone (bah!). I now have a smart watch that is no better than an analogue one!

As a result I am now in the market for a replacement – Fitbit are a total no-no due to their actions, many seem to struggle to give a one day battery life. I looked at hybrid watches but their silly watch-hand massaging is just not on, so are their any viable Pebble replacements?

I’d like an e-ink display but the Sony e-paper watch made me shudder.

Has anyone tried the Huawei – two weeks on battery?

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Replies

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725
    Forumite Points: 1,524

Have had experience of a few of these through me, other half and kids – ranging from full on Smartwatch to fitness-only to “bit of both” – all depends on the essential features. I have a Xiaomi (WeLoop) watch that I would class as a sports watch with a few smart features. Similar at feature level to the Fitbit Charge but battery life is way, way better. If I don’t use GPS would do weeks on end – easily a month. It will give whichever notifications you enable, and is waterproof. It is not a full on Smartwatch though.

I tried the Huawei band but returned it – similar shape and feel to the fitbits (i.e. band) which I’m not keen on. I had a play with the Huawei Watch 2 (a Smartwatch) which was very nice but way over the top for me and you pay for it in battery life.

One of mine has the Xiaomi Amazfit watch – which is very nice – quite a bit bigger – more features (bluetooth music for example) and you can side load otherapps on to it. Battery life with normal use is only 5 days though – less if you hammer the GPS.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 6,514

Thanks, those were useful comments that made me focus on what I wanted. i.e. not much on the watch as I would have the phone, but something easy to glance at that would jog me to look at the phone if necessary.

That pushed me to looking at the Withings brand, as I get battery life but still get the minimum messaging I need. I just hope that it isn’t another Pebble situation down the road, but they survived Nokia so maybe its ok.

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725
    Forumite Points: 1,524

Looks nice Ed – be interested to see how you get on

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 3,669

I think it looks nice in the ad photo, however the photo in the review section isn’t so flattering.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

I’ll let you know as I decided to let SWMBO buy it for me as my Anniversary present.  It ticks the box for the functionality I need, and I do like the conventional watch format. Problem is that I now need to get her a reasonable present!

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 4,581

Analogue Bob is hoping his kids (or anyone) will buy him the Omega he once had years ago and dropped 3 stories onto an Army Bedford RL and a concrete truck park floor. Don’t want a Smart watch, can’t wear a quartz watch, they all stop and never restart. I just want an Omega. Something like this:

It is the current version of the Seamaster I once had and is now £4,220. I bought mine for a little under £1,000 around 1969, after a very good poker win and a desire to buy something that would last and be an investment. Of course, what I should have done was buy a much cheaper alternative, take the Omega home and let dad look after it. Not wear it every day in Army service!

Deep sigh! Hindsight…

If it’s the Psychic Network why do they need a phone number?

What’s right is what’s left if you do everything else wrong.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

Indoors the ad photo is 100% accurate, however in full sun the analogue watch face is great but the ‘smart’ black area is illegible just like my Android phone. It is a great shame the smart bit is not e-Ink as that works best in full sun. Other than that the watch does what it says on the tin. It is just fine with respect to the usual fitness apps plus pulse rate and messaging other phone alerts. Messages are very abbreviated and small font which I can handle but SWMBO cannot read.

The only criticism I have is the watch setup, it requires the Withings fitness phone app to be fully installed but for some reason it would not accept my Google credentials without a lot of messing around = 3 out of 10 for phone setup ease.

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 3,669

My android watch, was a bit of a pita to set up. (fossil explorer), turns out I don’t need the fosil app installed. Which made it far easier a set up.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

I discovered one other issue – the metal watch bands are sized for Chinese males i.e. much slimmer than Caucasians. My wrists are those of a pen-pusher not a weights trainer and the band only just goes around on the largest setting. Anyone who does upper body training would probably not be able to use a metal band.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 4,581

Any watch with a metal band is no good for my hairy wrists, which match most of the rest of me! My barber says he never knows when to stop…

If it’s the Psychic Network why do they need a phone number?

What’s right is what’s left if you do everything else wrong.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 2,303

Leather straps and my wrists not go well together; they tended to rot out in short order in the past. The metal strap on my present watch has however lasted pretty well since the mid 1970s. It does have some adjustments but appears to be on the last notch at the moment, so would need a link added to make it larger. I suspect my wrist has expanded since I bought it about 47 years back, though when I lost weight a while back, even my wrist slimmed down a bit.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thank you for visiting Forumite. If you appreciate the site please consider a donation to show your appreciation.
Take Me There!
close-image