Forumite

Peter Crouch book

HOME Forums Sports Football Peter Crouch book

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Bob Williams 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

A very funny book by a very funny guy: “How Not To Be A Footballer”. The whole book is FAF, I could not put it down. Some really good football stories about players, managers and club officials.

Steve, his hero is Steven Gerrard – and they are the same age. The last chapter is all about Stevie G.

If it’s the Psychic Network why do they need a phone number?

What’s right is what’s left if you do everything else wrong.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 4,682

I’m not a fan of sports bios but this is on the wife’s lists.

I like PC and he always comes a cross as a nice guy and funny. The past 12 months he has been doing alot of shows and pod casts, he actually hots his own, it’s on the iplayer/BBC. Iirc it’s called Nice touch for a big lad. I’ve not listened to it, but heard good reviews.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 5,683

I’ve read a lot of sports bio’s, mostly football. I have almost a library of Forest books, all signed by the players, going back years to the early sixties. Wouldn’t say any of those are bad, but some of the others were. One of the best I read was Jimmy Case, another former Liverpool player and one that no one in his day wanted to be tackled by. Many of them are all “me-me-me” and are just stories of good games they played, with excuses for the bad ones. But Crouchie’s was funny, your missus will enjoy that.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 4,682

Thanks Bob, I have this strange rule, I don’t want want to meet or read anthyng about any “hero’s” of mines. Its why I avoid alot of the sit down dinners we get invited to. My lad (just gone Oz to live) wousl always take my place.

I have little interest in them at a human level. Too scared they will be dicks.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 5,683

The only one who disappointed me when I met him, was Bobby Charlton. What a boring bugga he was! I’ve been told that his brother Jack is totally different by an old mate who met him on an Irish fishing trip. In Ireland they love Wor Jackie after he managed the national team in the World Cup. The most entertaining player I ever met, a really funny guy, was”Robbo” – John Robertson, the player Cloughie called “A little fat Genius”. Last year he was voted Best Ever Forest Player in a poll of thousands of supporters, old and younger. Robbo came to lots of Supporters Club ‘do’s’ in many places, I met him at two of them. He had us all in stitches. Never wore anything but jeans and T-shirt, drank vodka neat, smoked like a chimney and could turn defenders inside out. I’ll never forget the sight of Larry Lloyd carrying him on his shoulders after the Euro Cup win in Munich.

I can understand not wanting to meet your heroes, but for me I like to see what they are really made of. I once met Keith Richards behind a marquee at a Dortmund concert. The marquee was a massive toilet between the stage and backstage and it was full, with a big queue, so I went round the back for a leak and there was Keith, smoking some Waccy baccy. He was OK, just a normal guy and no Big Star krap to him. Had a good conversation, he asked me which songs I liked best. In the second spot, he dedicated the song to “A squaddy I met tonight called Bob – This is for you, fella!” Jagger was noticeably annoyed at that, but off they went with “The Last Time” which is one of my favourite Stones tracks. I was proper chuffed.

--- Robin Williams

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thank you for visiting Forumite. If you appreciate the site please consider a donation to show your appreciation.
Take Me There!