Phone deal wanted

HOME Forums Tech Android Talk Phone deal wanted

This topic contains 19 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by The Duke 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon

Myself and the wife have got SIM only phone contracts through Vodafone. We’re on the Red Value bundle, which is supposed to give us 20GB data with unlimited texts and minutes for £20 a month. Since the renewal in Feb, they’ve been billing us incorrectly, and have apparently put us onto the wrong prices (Red Value deal is still £20, we’re paying £40 on one line).

I’m going to phone them to sort it all out, but our usage is much lower than we’re paying for. Our highest usage (on one phone) since Feb 2016 has been 522 minutes, 297 SMS, and 2.9GB data. I’m thinking of getting the PAC and transferring away from them. I was wondering if anyone knows of any good deals, either SIM only or with a better phone than the OnePlus One. Vodafone is usually the most reliable network here, but iD (Three) is good too according to this map:

https://www.carphonewarehouse.com/networks/coverage-checker.html

I’m happy to stay with Vodafone if they’re the best or cheapest, but have no qualms with switching.

Spread the love
Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 1,066

Three: £10 12 month Essential Plan (so no hotspot (tethering) allowance) http://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Plans_for_phones

4GB data. All-you-can-eat minutes. All-you-can-eat texts.

Feel At Home in Europe, so you’ll be OK if you cross the Severn 😉

The 12 month Advanced Plan is £13 so includes tethering.

Three actually reward existing customers so I got a second sim for my daughters 1+1 with 12GB for £12. So you may be able to get a second Advanced 4GB for £11 if tethering is important.

Personally I think the 1+1 is still hard to beat. You’ll have to spend a lot of money to better it anyway. Three are doing some good deals on the Honor 9 with 12GB for the price of 4GB @ £29, but you don’t use 4GB any way! http://tinyurl.com/y9644yxn

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 935

Thanks Dave, they look great. I’d forgotten about tethering. I rarely use it, but my father doesn’t have home internet, so I use it to update his computer now and again.

I’ve been having trouble with my 1+1 since I had to send it back about two years ago. As usual, nothing happened until it was out of warranty, but now I get random reboots, massive overheating, and crap signal compared to other phones in the same place. I wouldn’t be surprised if wiping and updating it fixes some of the issues, but I’ve lost faith in it 🙁

I’ll pick up a Three SIM today and see what the signal’s like 🙂

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

I let my daughter have the 1+1 and bought a Moto G4 3rd Gen for £150 ish as I was finding the screen too dim for me.

The only thing it’s missing is NFC, but I use my Barclaycard for that. When I had the 1&1 paying using the phone was always hit and miss. M&S always thought it was an iPhone so turned to Applepay which of course failed.

Battery life is amazing. I wouldn’t swap back.

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 670

THIS  looks like it’s still going – £89 for a Moto G4 Play. Might be of some use?!

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Moto model numbering is confusing. That’s the not quite as good specs and 720P as opposed to 1080P screen, but it does have NFC.

Still a bloody good deal though. Asked the Mrs yesterday if she wanted one, but she’s quite happy with her 4.3″ Moto E.

It looks like the new Moto G5 is the one to go for at the £150 ish price point. Still no NFC though.

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 1,075

Dave, you need the Plus for NFC, and the camera is better, even mum can take a good shot and she usually moves the phone half way through taking a picture…….

My Instagram

My YouTube

JayCeeDee
    Participant
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 670

Moto model numbering is confusing. That’s the not quite as good specs and 720P as opposed to 1080P screen, but it does have NFC. Still a bloody good deal though. Asked the Mrs yesterday if she wanted one, but she’s quite happy with her 4.3″ Moto E. It looks like the new Moto G5 is the one to go for at the £150 ish price point. Still no NFC though.

I’m still keeping an eye on one of those. The 3GB Dual Sim is up for £165 on Amazon, down £20 from March when it was released. I’ve got NFC on my Xperia, but disabled it as I don’t use contactless.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Yes, NFC doesn’t interest me but thinking of Tippon (or anyone else) you sort of expect it now. I find the whole G4 / G5 overlaps a bit annoying.

One thing I did miss from the 1+1 was panorama shots, but this year on holiday Google photos did it for me! Back at the flat I was just thinking I couldn’t remember which PC I’d installed MS ICE on (it works well) for when I got home when I got a notification asking if this is what I was trying to do.

EDIT – the line in the middle isn’t a join, it’s lens flare. This was 25th August at West Bay, Dorset (Broadchurch) at 3pm on a stinking hot day.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by Dave Rice.

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon

Sorry for not replying sooner. We’ve just ordered two of the Honor 9. We were going to go for one phone and one SIM, but Alice decided that she didn’t like nursery rhymes and threw Ellen’s phone across the tiled kitchen 😣😂

Looking at the deals, there was only the one Essentials deal that was a similar price to the 12GB deal, and it was 4GB for £26 a month once the upfront cost was added. For £29 we’ve now got the 12GB deal with tethering, around the world, and bingeing on certain services.

Thanks again for pointing that deal out Dave, and everyone else who replied 🙂

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 1,559

Should of ordered the iPhone x, unlimited data and text just a snip at between £85-110pm (carrier depending).

I’m so worried that this thing actually sells well. If it does, you know next year’s top tier devices are going up in price.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Doesn’t bother me at all. I can’t see me paying more than £150 ish ever again. If I was buying now it’d be a Moto G5.

However I may be tempted with a similar spec phone with a truly great camera that could replace my (old but still good) Nikon Coolpix L820. Took the Nikon to Amsterdam a few weeks ago and it’s a PITA having another bag but the G4’s camera isn’t up to it.

Either that or it’s truly pocket sized camera like the Coolpix A900. Hmm, a quick look at phone prices and the Coolpix + G5 looks like the answer by about £200.

The Duke
    @sgb101

The nexus 6p can be had on ebay for around £185. The camera in that is fantastic. It’s the same one in the pixel, strangely the 6p camera never got the recognition it deserved.

I got stuck last summer without my camera so I just used the 6p. I wad amazed with it.

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon

I’m amazed that ‘normal’ people spend upwards of £700 on a phone, especially when they use it for social media and not much else. I can kinda understand us geeks doing it, but we’re not just pouting at the camera, or pointing it at our dinners.

I know what you mean about the cameras too Dave. I love the camera on the 1+1 in decent light, but as soon as it starts to get dark, it’s crap. I haven’t found a camera app that can cope with windows either. As soon as I try to take a photo or video near a window, the focus and brightness start having hissy fits trying to decide what to do. Tell the Pentax where to focus and how bright I want things, and that’s it, it works.

PlaneMan
    @planeman

I reckon you’d like the G5 then Ryan, more settings for the camera there than I’ve ever seen (or understand). It does a fine job in auto though.

My Instagram

My YouTube

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon

Oh, no, I’m quite happy with simple now, I can’t be bothered trying to figure cameras out, especially on phones! 😋

The Duke
    @sgb101

I est camera app I’ve seen/used is the stock hauwei one on my wife’s P9, the ui is on point. It’s super simple, but with one touch you get full control, and it’s all laid out logically. It’s fantastic and must admit quite jealous of it. Ironically it takes fantastic photos without the need to mess with any settings. So non of the great settings are needed unless you really know what your doing.

I can’t make it take a better photo than it does in auto. It’s a very good camera, very close to the pixel/6p. It was cheap (relatively) at iirc £450 when new. The 6p was £500, when it was the iPhone and Samsung was £7-800.

Lucky thing is in 2 years these great camera phone modules will be in £200 devices.

I was playing with the Moto g4 last night, I forgot how good that phone is, the camera is decent too. My girl just got an iPhone 7(ish) so I was setting the g4 up for my 9 year old. And in hand it felt not different to my Pixel. Not yet seen a g5 in the flesh.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 1,733

I’m getting ready for Black Friday sales (Nov 24) and a new PAYG phone (sub £250). One essential for me is decent GPS (NOT GPS-A) as I find it useful to be able to get a ‘fix’ when hiking around in the deepest West Country/Wales areas where GPS-A is useless. (I’m normally using it to get a spot fix out in the country so that I can find the nearest place for liquid refreshments (and a pie)!)

The Moto G5 looks OKish, but I would prefer something that also  includes GLONASS and especially the EU’s Galilao as the UK military sometimes arse-about with GPS near their facilities.

I normally use a GPS fix with OpenStreet Map (offline)  as that mostly has good country pub locations already marked and I would hate to start walking away from the nearest pub.

Given the usage, speed to get a GPS fix does not have to be in the car navigation turn-by-turn mode.

Anyone have any recommendations?

• This reply was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by Ed P.

PlaneMan
    @planeman

LG G5 

You’ll need a USB C cable for charging but at that price it’s a steal. OK, it’s refurb but it’s grade A.

My Instagram

My YouTube

The Duke
    @sgb101

Always like the look of LG g5, but in Thr hand it feels so cheap. They really f-ed the whole module integration up.

I wouldn’t pay £230 for that phone. The reviews on it panned it on launch. It’s a shame as I think the design look, was the best of that years devices. I was going to buy it in spite of the reviews, but when in the shop I got the 6p and the wife the P9.

The Moto Z was so much better at the whole module implementation aspect. The connectors was good, and mainly it make the phone feel flimsy and hollow, which it was. I love the idea of it though. And the look as I’ve said.

I could of even looked past the ui…. Maybe. Probably I couldn’t, even if it was Stella, it would of problem been ‘drawered’ within 6 months like evey non stock/cm device I’ve had.

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love