Forumite

Photo Software

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Drezha
    @drezha

I’m looking for software to replace macOS’s Photos.

At the minute, I do use Moments and Photos on the Synology, but it’s not the best option for what I’m after – I’m looking for an easy to use software so I can view all my files from “one page” as a continuous scroll. However, I’d also like to have saved search folders, that can return all items that match a certain criteria (such as camera model).

I reinstalled Picasa but it doesn’t appear to have saved searches.

I’m beginning to think about trying macOS in a virtual machine or snap, just to get it back!

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 16,935

For Windows try Irfanview. (free). I find it useful enough to throw them a donation, and it has a big, and productive user base for file conversions.

Use the option to view thumbnails, select a head folder e.g. Photos, then choose option show thumbnails from all sub folders.

It has other options such as slideshow of course.

To be honest that option just drives me scatty as it gives me ALL my digital photos for the last twenty+ years with no sorting or classification!  I could however just choose Family->2018 as the head folder for a more rational view.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Ed P.
    Participant
    Drezha
    @drezha
    Forumite Points: 3,140

Thanks for the idea – I didn’t know Irfanview could do that, as I’ve already got it installed. However, it’s still not quite what I’m after, as that only shows items within the folder, similar to XNView that I’ve tried.

Shotwell would be the Linux equal to what I’m looking for. I’m downloading Digikam to try – I didn’t realise it had a Windows client.

Though I did note that Picasa runs still at the weekend, and I think I found how to search EXIF data.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

I’m still not 100% sure what you want. To help me understand, what is missing from the Win10 app – Photos?

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 9,550

The first thing that sprang to mind was Google Photos.

Participant
    Drezha
    @drezha

Google Photos displays the images like I’d like – in a long continuous timeline, regardless of the folder they’re in. However, it doesn’t do saved searches (i.e. show me all photos taken by iPhone.)

Irfanview seemed to only show me in each folder – which I can do by browsing to the folder in Explorer and view via Large Icons.

Digikam does this – see below images for what I’m after and how I’ve set it up:

I can perform a search and then save the results and come back to it at a later date.

Here I’ve got the photos arranged in a timeline across a range of different folders.

I can also view the images on a map, which I don’t think Google Photos does.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

Other than the map, M$ Photos does those things as far as I can tell.

Participant
    Drezha
    @drezha

M$ Photos does those

I didn’t realise MS Photos was an app – I’ve just opened it. I thought you were referring to the default program when you double click on an image. :wacko:   I’ve opened this then for the first time ever!

It does do the timeline view and quite well. However, I can’t see a method to search by EXIF data or to save the search. However, with Digikam and Photos, then I should be set!

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

If you explore Photos does ‘folders’ as well.

I’ve not tried sorting on exif data in Photos as you can do it perfectly well in Windows Explorer. Open a photo folder, using the ‘Details’ view. Find a ‘blank’ area on the top of a column and right click.

You should get a dialog box with ‘Size all columns to fit’ at the top, and ‘more’ on the bottom.

Click on ‘More; and you will find that you can display and sort on more info than you can throw a stick at! These use the ‘properties’ tab on a file which for a photo is where all the exif stuff resides. Select the fields you want displayed and you can subsequently sort etc on the columns.

If you are a super organised person you can use the properties-details tab on any sort of file see link for a generalised kludge. As I understand it these kludges tend to fail if the file is copied or moved as added meta data is stored in different locations and do not get copied/moved.

Having this sort of metadata file facility could have been really useful in my last job, but I never discovered it!

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

I tried to add an edit but was timed-out!

A very simple way of adding data is to use the meta data ‘comments’ field. This can be edited in free format and gives you about five lines of comments.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

Same problem!

Do not wish to ‘teach Granny’, but if you then use file explorer to sort on your required exif data, you can then switch to large icon view and your photos could be sorted into GPS  coords etc.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

After thought – I should have probably added this link on GPS data.

link

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

btw – if you have old photos or a camera without GPS try Geosetter to manually add the data.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

Just for completeness, M$ Windows Explorer (Details) does not show the GPS data that is available in the file properties. This seems to be a major oversight. :negative:

You can however display the comments property and edit there as a manual solution

Participant
    The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 11,721

I find the search I’m Google photos never lets me down. And I have 12 years of snaps on there .

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.