Forumite

Play Station 5 Tear down

Tagged: 

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 9,257

Well that’s a lot bigger than I thought it would be. Size of that heatsink!

Looks like it’s got decent WiFi but my old argument is it just needs to be quicker than your ISP. Connectivity and coverage will be helped by the decent antenna but your Access Point is the important part of that relationship. WiFi 6 routers are getting more common / cheaper but don’t have XDsl modems. An £80 DrayTek Vigor 130 sorts that bit out, basically transparently turning XDsl into Ethernet.

I’m not sure about SSD RAID, as I understand it it’s a customised PCIe 4.0 alike using NVMe. Commercial PCIe 3.o x4 NVMe can hit 3.5Gbps (AData XPG series that I use) and if I’ve read it right PCIe 4 x4 is capable of 7Gbps. So 5.5Gbps of the PS5 can be easily achieved without RAID. I believe it’s the tight integration with the GDDR5 that is the special sauce for games and something to do with the 12 channels of the custom controller. The odd 835GB storage amount is down to the 12 channels apparently, but thanks to the fact that duplication can be a thing of the past, games storage will be much more efficient.

An impressive box though and from what I’ve read will revolutionise the way that games are developed due to that SSD  / GDDR relationship. No more load screen waits and the ability to load GBs of textures in the time it takes to make your character do a 180. This is not just a speed boost update, it’s a total rethink of the whole gaming system.

Participant
    keith with the teef
    @thinktank
    Forumite Points: 2,823

Good marketing ploy looking under the hood.

Yeah, its a v8 and with a 350W psu drive train.

Clearly that GPU will be sucking 150W on its own.

Great machine. Informative read Dave. Clearly you have acess to better info than me guessing at Raid. :yahoo:

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 16,489

This AMD presentation on their 5900 series also gives a tiny amount of insight on their custom chip for the new XBox — the answer would seem to be L3 cache integration and single core clock speed.

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg

What I missed was they will take an M2 SSD for extra storage. No-one know the specs yet (probably have to be PCIe 4) but the key and lengths are standard.

Participant
    keith with the teef
    @thinktank

@ Dave . Yeah, that extra ssd storage could be the catalyst to bigger cheaper drives.

@ edp: Looks like the new 5000 series CPU could take back the fps crown in games. I think that last time AMD held that was with Opteron back in 2003. Dammmmmnnnnn.

Looks like I will not be getting a 5000 CPU as I do not want to upgarade my mobo (B450) Apparently the 5000 cpu requires Bios of 32MB so there is a chance some will be able to keep there B4 series mobos. I only have 16MB.

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg

You’ll probably want to upgrade the mobo for other new features too. I’m so glad AMD are back it’s really shaken things up. In the midrange the i5-10th gen are now looking strong on bang per buck.

Participant
    keith with the teef
    @thinktank

I have my fingers crossed that MSI will get up to no good. like in the past with here today gone tomorrow sneeky empowered bios: as in plulled before AMD can wig out. Maybs thay will release a B4 series bios for the 5000 cpu at 16mb with some low image quality gui.

I see Intel have or are developing for a 12v psu only and the mobo will sort out the leccy for components. When you look at the capabilities of some usb fag lighter chargers then yeah its a no brainer.

BTW Mars is big at the moment, you cannot miss it, big red and low, east westerly direction.

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 6,132

Wow a 32MB BIOS. My X58 mobo has 2x2MB flash for the BIOS which enabled it to have a basic UEFI update where as other X58 boards with 1MB could not. But 32MB !

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Looking at the B450 boards I’ve been buying, they all have 128mbit AMI jobs, so 16MB. I can’t see any of them showing any interest in a 5000 though.

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley

Speaking of the i5 10th Gen (which Dave did 😃), its Amazon deal day today so I ordered a Surface Pro 7 for £659.

Core i5 1035G4, 8GB DDR4, 128 GB SSD.

I ordered the type cover as well and it should arrive on tuesday next week. I really brought it to compile my C++ programming efforts quickly but it looks like the iris plus graphics arn’t too bad either.

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg

4 + 4 cores, 3.7Ghz, >4K graphics, 15W TDP.

Amazing. It doesn’t seem that long ago we were looking forward to dual core processors that could boil a kettle.

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley

My i7 990X could do a pretty good job of boiling a kettle, 130W without the hefty over clock i’m using 🤪.

The Passmark multithread scores are almost identical too at the stock speed.

Participant
    Drezha
    @drezha
    Forumite Points: 2,983

Speaking of the i5 10th Gen (which Dave did 😃), its Amazon deal day today so I ordered a Surface Pro 7 for £659. Core i5 1035G4, 8GB DDR4, 128 GB SSD. I ordered the type cover as well and it should arrive on tuesday next week. I really brought it to compile my C++ programming efforts quickly but it looks like the iris plus graphics arn’t too bad either.

I should have waited, as I got the 256GB version a few weeks before at a larger price, even with University discount 😟

Talking about heating, we’ve moved my desktop in to the bedroom(!) as I have it running distributed computing projects – we found last night that it takes the edge of the chill within the room whilst we’re feeding Aoife overnight! Putting that heat to good use whilst helping science. The white noise also helps her to sleep, though it’s not a very loud machine. (Ryzen 1600) :good:

Participant
    keith with the teef
    @thinktank

So how goes uni in these covid times r u getting vfm.

Also I have a large heat sink on my 3600 and I set the cpu fan not to come on until 45c and case fans 27c for the most part its a silent pc.

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Aoife, very Celtic :good:

I don’t think I’ve ever posted a picture of my (sadly long gone) Goldwing, paint job themed on the legends of ancient Ireland. Artwork panels based on The Book Of Conquests by Jim Fitzpatrick.

This one on the front

and this on the back

Participant
    Drezha
    @drezha
    Forumite Points: 2,983

So how goes uni in these covid times r u getting vfm.

My wages are getting paid by the students, so I guess I’m getting value for money! I feel sorry for them, but the wages still need to be paid – the Uni has made voluntary redundacies and they’re now regretting it in some locations I think, but in general, wages still need to be paid.

Impressive looking paint job on the bike there! We went with the wife Irish heritage, though if it was a boy, we couldn’t settle on an Irish name, so good job it was a girl!

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley

Just out of historic interest, the first Intel dual core CPU was the Pentium D based on the P4. This was only a sort of dual core because it was actually two seperate CPU’s in the same package. There was no shared cache and the CPU’s had to communicate with each other via the motherboard chipset.

AMD CPU’s of the time were designed with mulitple cores in mind from the start. Because the memory controller was moved into the CPU there was a built in crossbar switch to direct data to either memory or the system bus and it could equally well direct data between cores.

Participant
    keith with the teef
    @thinktank

Dave: Most excellent sidecar outfit. proper good, what cornering fun. I used to like watching the sidecar racing with the passenger hanging off at breakneck speed to keep the combo stable and on course. Soon as I saw the paint job I thouight Assasins creed Valhalla.

@ wof: Yeah I remember that.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 16,489

I was seriously thinking about the PS5 until I saw the horrible chassis it uses. It would never fit in my media centre, and sticking it in full view of anyone is just not an option.  It would only be suitable sitting in a teenager’s bedroom. It looks like it was designed by a tripped-out teenager besotted with Galactic Empire!

The new XBox on the other hand would fit in anywhere, and has been designed with good taste.

Participant
    keith with the teef
    @thinktank

Theres an article on techspot: https://www.techspot.com/review/2116-storage-speed-game-loading/

That Highlights that all games at the mo are optimised for HDD. Clearly this needs to change and the new consoles will obvs lead the way.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.