Podcast and Audiobook Suggestions

HOME Forums Reading, Books and Audio Books Audio Books Podcast and Audiobook Suggestions

This topic contains 15 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by The Duke 6 months, 1 week ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon

I found a biking podcast through Facebook recently, Front End Chatter. It’s a Bennetts sponsored podcast, but is supposedly impartial. I listened to the latest episode (86) and it’s pretty good. They’ve got a bit of a racing bias though, and racing doesn’t do it for me.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a podcast, or somewhere to browse for one. I’ve never really bothered with them before, so don’t know where to start. The sites I’ve found list them, but don’t have much in the way of a description.

I’ve also got a few audiobooks that I’ve got as freebies over the years, but, again, I’ve never bothered until now. I generally prefer sci fi and fiction, so can anyone recommend any authors to look out for or avoid? As an example, I really like Neil Gaiman books, but the BBC Radio version of Good Omens was essentially the audio from a non existent TV version, and I had no clue what was going on half the time (you could hear something jingling and a bang which was supposedly someone opening their shop and setting up for the day 🤔 ).

Ideally I’m looking for something that I can listen to while I’m fixing the bike or the computer, so I don’t need to concentrate too much.

Front End Chatter is here if anyone fancies it:

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/features/podcasts

Spread the love
Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Drezha
    Participant
    @drezha
    Forumite Points: 982

I use Pocket Casts to listen to podcasts. It also helps you find podcasts. There’s also Podbay.fm to find them. I listen to a few regularly. My favourite has to be The Infinite Monkey Cage, though I also love Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History (his WW1 show, Blueprint for Armageddon was fantastic), History Hit, and Communion After Dark (alternative music podcast).

I listen to others occasionally, but those are the main ones. Try and listen whilst out walking.

Audiobooks, I had a subscription to Audible, but found I had to end it, as I was building up a backlog of books. I’ve got most of the Bill Bryson books that I’m working through on that and they’re good.

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 2,630

Loads of great scifi books, it’s probably the genre that pushed audio books to begin with

I like the old Larry niven stuff, bit it’d hardly ages well. But still great, serin how yesteryears writers thought tomorow  would look like.

One of my fav scifi book and my first audio book was ‘do androids dream’ a take on blade runners ‘do androids dream of electric sheep’

Currently I’m reading the “expoditionary force” book 2 SpecOps, . By Craig Alanson, I like it qiuted a bit. I don’t the first book in in under a week called ‘coloumbus day’ that I’ll be finish in two days time. And I’ll do book 3, and then read some war stories.

That’s basic my rythem. A few scifi then war stories.

Audible is by far the best way to go, as all their stuff is professionally produced and read. You can go subscription and get a book a nitj for £8 or 2 for £16

Jowever there is a work around on a lot of books. The expoditionary force series I’m currently reading are 1 credit each (1=£8) for a subscriber, or about £25 for the audio book. However if you purchace the kidndle edition for about £3 you can get the audio book for £3.50.

Almost evey book on there has some sort of deal, where if you by a kindle edition you get thf audio one much cheaper. If its under the value of the £8redit ,buy if not  use redit.

Your rust book is free, if you decide to stay on as a sup or not. So you get a credit for subscribing and your sum only starts 30 days after you sign up. So you can sign up pick a boom then cancel if you wish. That was may plan in about 2008 (when it was us only).

Also if you like to read, as well as listen, kindle and Audible books have somthing called whisper sync, so you can read on one and it will syck with the other. So the book for example will start off from the page you left off on and vice versa.

As regards of podcasts. There is everything for everyone out there. As everyone’s tasted differs, you’d need to find your own way there. Get a decent pod set app, line dog catcher of podcast Republic (I use the latter now, but both are very good) and just get looking via the menus.

Or if you know of one search it out, via the apps search feature. If it’s not there, the website relating to your podcast will have an rss url you can manually enter (c&p) into the app and that will find it and update as new episodes are release.

If you like scifi, I use to listen to Weird things podcast for a good while. Its not was it was, but the early ones are very good. The anfield wrap is a God oen of youre interested of filling Liverpool closely.

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 1,780

Thanks both 🙂

I’d forgotten about the Infinite Monkey Cage. Funnily enough I just deleted about a few dozen episodes because I didn’t get on with gPodder. I’d set it up for the Infinite Monkey Cage and a podcast from an author I follow (Randolph Lalonde, if you’re looking for some new sci fi and fiction), but because I didn’t like the player, I deleted everything to start again. I could have saved myself a few hours of re-downloading the latest episodes… 😀

Ideally I don’t want anything that I have to pay for yet, especially not a subscription, as I may not get on with podcasts and audiobooks. I listened to the Science’s Epic Fails episode of Monkey Cage last night and realised I was missing bits when I was concentrating on something else.

I tried adding the Communion After Dark podcast, but it’s not showing me any episodes.

Also if you like to read, as well as listen, kindle and Audible books have somthing called whisper sync, so you can read on one and it will syck with the other. So the book for example will start off from the page you left off on and vice versa.

Now that’s something that could be really handy. I’m constantly reading books, and usually through the Kindle app. If I can get to grips with listening without getting distracted, this will be brilliant 🙂

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725
    Forumite Points: 1,189

Another history goodie – BBC World Service – War And Words

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 3,715

Twit.tv has a lot of tech podcasts both audio and video that can be downloaded. The following has both audio and video but you will need to check. link

You could also try podbean

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by Ed P.
    • This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by Ed P.

The Duke
    @sgb101

Twit is very good. Security now and triangulation can be very good. I used to have it on in the back ground when working every day. Probably stopped about a year ago, when all the other good shows like Windows weekly and twig just turned into phone shows. Mainly cos the arse has fell out of the pc side of things. And cos the phones all got ‘samey’, every show sort of got boring.

Though Paul thurrot does a better pad cast called ‘what the tech’ which I found was better than what Windows Weekly became.

The old Windows weeklys was good, but it’s not a show that ages, so no point going back to watch/listen them. I use to really like the Twit network. When they was in the tiny cottage and it was less polished it was great, as it grew, I think it lost somthing. Or it lost me.

If you like conspiracy theories and alternitve news, the “no agenda show” is really good. Though when you first jump onto it you think they are linitics, real tinfoil types. About 10 years ago some said listen to it and stick with it, I did for a month, and though they was mad, (a month is about 24h of content), then gave up. However all the mad crap, theories and predictions all started to to come to pass over the next 6-12 months, so I now listen to it sporadically. They do two 3 hour shows a week, so too much content for me to listen to. But it’s always interesting to get their alternitve view on the news. Alot of inside joke too, so untill you’ve listened to a few, it can be a little annoying.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 3,448

I have been an SF reader almost since I could read, which is a long history of SF books. First SF I ever read that got me hooked on the genre, was Arthur C. Clarke’s “The City And The Stars” the original title being “Against the Fall of Night” first published in 1948, probably read by me around 1953*. “The City And The Stars” was an expanded, much improved edition of  “Against the Fall of Night” and is a better read than the original. It is ageless, just as current a read as it was when first published. The “Rama” series is wonderful. He was a prolific writer with a brilliant imagination, check his Wiki bibliography:

http://tinyurl.com/ycq8mkav

If you like ‘Hard SF’, these are my favourite writers – Peter F. Hamilton, Alastair Reynolds, Stephen Baxter, Ken McLeod,Gareth L. Powell, Gregory Benford. Steve mentions Larry Niven, another prolific writer. He wrote many books with another guy called Jerry Pournelle: the first collaboration I read from them was “Lucifer’s Hammer” followed by “The Mote In God’s Eye”. Both great, imaginative stories. The “Ringworld” Series of 4 books, is a great read, written by Niven alone.

“Ringworld” – “The Ringworld Engineers” – “The Ringworld Throne” – “Ringworld’s Children”.

*I was a very early reader, taught to read and write by my big brother, 17 years older than myself, at the age of 3. RIP Eric John Williams, gone too soon at 59, still miss you bro.

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

The Duke
    @sgb101

Jerry died last year Bob. Coincidentally He use to geast on the twit TV podcasts I spoke about earlier.

I’m sure he Co wrote lucifers hammer with Niven, another good one is “footfall” that they writ together.

If you like that type of SF you’d problay enjoy the ‘expeditionary force’ series I’m currently reading. Started book 3 yesterday.

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Thanks Steve, didn’t know Larry Niven had passed. I will look into the Expeditionary Force books when I can: currently have 5 library books and 3 more on the Kindle, one of which I am reading atm. “Gibraltar: the Greatest Siege In British History”. A part of Brit history I have never read about before, but under the current EU – UK conditions, I got interested. Anyone who wants to know what life was like for a squaddie then (includes Booties!) should read it. Library books are one thing that annoys me: I read the blurb on the cover or inside, take them home and find that at least one is garbage. That’s why I take out so many at a time, to get one or two that are OK. Plus I get to go to Mablethorpe Lidl and pick up the cheese bread I love, and their Clementines are juicier than anyone else’s. (I eat at least a dozen a week)

Spain tried everything to take back The Rock, including a lot of French help and starving the Garrison through blockade. They failed, but as usual the British government did not do a great deal to help. (Nothing changes!)

The Duke
    @sgb101

The maires have Gibraltar written on the top of there cap badge to remember that Bob, and a clone with all the continents marked in the centre along with by sea by land written at the base. Per mare per terram.

You get all that dolled into you from day own. Founded in 1664. (I’ve forgot most of it). You’d get tested on corps knowalge on the drill square and fail a question and you’d looks your toe caps to a round of “bastards”.

Hated that little fat DL we had in training. Wanted to stick that stick up his arse on more than one occasion.

Bob is that book by Roy and Lesley Adkims? If so I’ll grab a copy, and re awuate myself with past lost knowalge.

Also it wad Jerry that passed last year, or one before. I don’t know about Nivan.

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 1,780

Sorry about not replying to this sooner. I thought I had, but my reply isn’t here.

Thanks for the Ringworld reminder Bob. Someone (probably you) told me about it a while back, and I keep forgetting about it 🙂

I haven’t done much listening to anything recently. I’ve been having a rough few weeks, and Alice had been ill too. We seem to be taking it in turns. We’ve both had our birthdays too, so have been dragged out to celebrate, despite our protestations 😣😄 Thankfully we both seems to be on the mend, so I’m hoping to spend some time in the garage this week with a good book and a selection of spanners 😀

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 3,715

If you cannot find what you want you could consider rolling your own. Audio Book Creator  in Windows store plus a magazine archive e.g. Analog SF

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 2,140

I can’t get on with audio books. They just don’t work for me.

Instead I read a book and put on some Hawkwind. 🤘

My Instagram

My YouTube

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Yes Steve, Roy and Leslie Adkins, a great read. Husband and wife writing team, could never get my Gert to concentrate long enough to write more than one page! Yet she spends hours on a 1,000 piece jigsaw, takes it all apart, moves it to the bottom of the pile and starts again with another.

I had a psycho instructor during Para training who seemed determined to fail all of us who joined for the (then) All Arms 6 week course, we would never be “proper cherry berets”. He spent so much effort telling me right in my ear, that I would not make it. That worked in reverse: I never have agreed with anyone telling me I won’t do stuff. Bloody nearly killed me, but I did it. Maybe that was his motivating skills? I watched some of the Paras training on BBC, could have walked all over most of them in my day. Has HMF gone soft?

Ryan, hope you and Alice are both better now. Know what you mean about birthdays, funnily enough I organise all the family birthday “Do’s” but cba to go out for mine. Trying to think of a way out and it’s just a month away.

Nolan, I can’t handle audio books either, but after finding out about them I passed the idea to my dyslexic son & gson. They love them. I can appreciate what audio books do for those who struggle with reading: Steve gets a lot out of them, I know. I like to listen to Moody Blues at low volume while reading, especially SF: suits the theme.

The Duke
    @sgb101

Bob – I bought thst book, but the SF series I mentioned above is so good I’m currery on book 5 of 7 (think it’s 7), so I’ll get round to it.

You mentioned the all arms course, we had the all arms commando course, iirc it was called 29 commando,(I may be wrong on that. But the army, navy, raf lad that took thst on got a real hard time. Worse than we got as the training staff didn’t see then as real commandos and the ‘came in the back door’ so to speak. Both them and the royal marine reserves that made it to commando status over a few year wasn’t respected that much, Especally the resevers come full time commandos.

We had a term for them that pissed them off royaly ‘Rubber Daggers’. Looking back now it’s still a great achevment however you get a green lid, but when youre there you resented they didn’t but the work in that we did.

Back the the all arms lads, on they had it rough, we didn’t have it easy mind. But we had it over 30 weeks, and iirc they got 30 weeks of beastimgs compressed in to 9 weeks. They was flogged to death.

A bad term really. As I had a lad die in my testing troop, just 16 years old 😞, in week 11. Doing our first river crossings. The boss was taken off duty and given a desk job.

Our issue was half of our trading staff was SB, and they treat us as how they expected us to be form day one, so we got a really hard ride of perfection or punishment.

The river crossing incedent was deemed to demanding for a week 11 recruit, but cos the trainimg staff didn’t see it as anytjing special, they had us do it mid way though an week long exercise called hunters moon. We was ment to do a crossing on that exercise, but in a different location, but the training team seamed it to easy, and the load carry not long enough before it. So we marched much further, to find a more taxing crossing. Sadly we lost one guy because of it.

The boss was moved on, and the Sgt has a mini break down moment about two weeks later wen we won some inter regiment tropy. It was a bit strange, but then he was back to being a twat for the next 15 weeks.

He and the rest of the team turned out to be great guys, the last 10 week of training you didnt really get any of the admin crap of the first 18 or so, as by then your a qualifies solder and had entered the command stage. So there was non of this trying to break you anymore and if you shown you was up to it, they would really push you in positive ways.

Our adimin was really sloppy tbh, I think because the team was mostly SB, whey didn’t really care to much for the BS side of things and just consentaited on making us the best we could be, and was rather relaxed about the BS side of stuff. As by week 20 they had weeded out all the guys that couldn’t cut it.

Only time we had to do adim and clean the our block probably was adjedents inspection and I think one CO inspection, in both the whole training team help sort the place out, as us failing reflected on them. They hated the cleaning side of stuff. So they would moan as much as us.

So we had the worst and and best training team. They was arsholes to begin with, pushed us hard, Beasted us harder, but once we entered commando phase was brilliant. They wanted us to pass, there was non the ‘if you don’t do this your out’ we got in the first weeks.

But still one lad did die. Which I don’t think about often, but this is the se ond time in 3 days. Was talking to an old friend about it on Saturday.

He got a full militery burial even thoug he was a recruit, I think that was out of guilt tbh. I sadly seen a couple more, but that in really sticks in ly mind. I can’t recall where he was buried, but it was close to Lympstone/exeter as he was a local lad. It was a butiful grave yard  off a tiny village, with rolling hills around it, and in the relativly far distance their was a lone bugler paling the last Post. Every time I hear it it takes me back to that day.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love