Forumite

Postage

HOME Forums Other Stuff Postage

This topic contains 14 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by johnbarry 6 days, 19 hours ago.

• Creator
    Topic

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

I am advertising a large item on ebay (59cm x 41cm – 26cm deep), before I do I am not sure about postage.

Normally I guess and take it to the post office, this is to big I am thinking of having it collected (postal firm)

I know the sizes and will weigh the parcel before sorting the postage.

How do I sort this (with whom) lets say hermes before I have listed or sold not knowing the UK address to post to.

It's said to be easy when you know how. If you don't know how, then you need the help of forumites.

Cheers
    John

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jukebox
    Participant
    @jukebox
    Forumite Points: 671

See https://www.myhermes.co.uk/our-services/our-prices/

Max 120cm and 15kg

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by Jukebox.
    • This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by Jukebox. Reason: Original link didn't work!

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry
    Forumite Points: 2,921

Jukebox Thanks for the link.
    I tried for a quote it wants to know where to. I don’t know, so hermes is of no use.

Thanks

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by johnbarry.

It's said to be easy when you know how. If you don't know how, then you need the help of forumites.

Cheers
    John

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 4,240

Just pick address one each end of the country and one in the center. Then take an average.

Then you’ll have a good idea of what the costs will be.

It’sEasy to look up postcodes

Boris
    @boris
    Forumite Points: 1,561

It’sEasy to look up postcodes

Use https://www.royalmail.com/find-a-postcode

Never trust an atom - they make up everything !

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 5,284

I use Collect Plus occasionally John:

https://tinyurl.com/y6pumqdb

Go to “SEND”, Click “GO” without inputting a postcode, which will give you an idea of prices and weights. They will even print off a label for you in the collection store you choose. I use a local Argos, but you can choose a store local to you.

If it’s the Psychic Network why do they need a phone number?

What’s right is what’s left if you do everything else wrong.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

Thanks Duke

Boris it seems a doddle to find a postcode for somewhere, thanks

These will come in handy

Thanks Bob

Collect Plus seems easy enough, it seems you only need the weight (not pack size like others). I will try it further once (if) I get a bid.

Sadly though on What can I send using CollectPlus? it doesn’t say computers?

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by johnbarry.

Cheers
    John

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 5,727

John, it’s not a complete list. If you are asked tell them electrical items or something like that.

Something that’s on the allowed list if it fits the items.

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

Thanks PM

I did register with collect plus last year, I try to sign in no go so I re registered, it sent an conformation email. I didn’t get it, I remebered I never got it last time.

There is no contact on there web.

I am aware I can sign in with my gmail but I prefer not.

Cheers
    John

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

John Collect Plus lists these: ” Games consoles, laptops/computer monitors/mobile phones. ” I wouldn’t think desktops would be barred, it doesn’t mention them in ” Collect+ Prohibited items”

https://tinyurl.com/y2pk3ldy

The maximum package size allowed is 60 x 50 x 50 cm. Many desktop cases will fit those dimensions, but remember the padding. My Coolermaster N30 is a full ATX case and would fit. I think you would have to register again with Collect+, then ask the question about desktop computers. Registering doesn’t cost, and even if you don’t use them for this job, you might need them some time.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by Bob Williams.

If women ran the world we wouldn’t have wars, just intense negotiations every 28 days.
    --- Robin Williams

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

Thanks Bob (PS not been in Wilko yet)

I can sign in with my gmail so I completed the form with that.

I am still a little confused.

It’s going on ebay next Wednesday for 7 days, if I buy postage now (collect+) what happens when sold, but if it doesn’t sell I have wasted on postage, I could do with a quote

I did go in the post office and asked (giving sizes and weight inluding padding) how much it would be. It’s £16.62 I think that’s a bit high for postage doesn’t leave much for bidding.

I am looking at post to open up the area rather than local.

I have been watching others (of the same item) on ebay and they don’t get much. I did sell the same on ebay once and only Got £30 collection only.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by johnbarry.

Cheers
    John

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Older desktops are just not making much John, that’s a fact. Donated my last to a wounded ex-serviceman 3 years ago, someone local told me he needed it to help him get started in a small business. Have you tried it in local Classifieds?

--- Robin Williams

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

That seems the case Bob, not keen on local.

I might just keep it in a cupboard till a rainy day.

Cheers
    John

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Can you keep it plugged in, but the power socket switched off? Tiny trickle of current keeps the BIOS battery charged, in case you put it away and forget it. Leave the PSU plug connected and switched on at the back of the desktop.

--- Robin Williams

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

Thanks Bob

I never thought of that

I can do that, the cupboard I will store it in has a socket.

It used to be the airing cupboard (hot tank emmersion heater). Rather than fetch the power out, it was converted.

Cheers
    John

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thank you for visiting Forumite. If you appreciate the site please consider a donation to show your appreciation.
Take Me There!