PPI Check

This topic contains 15 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Bob Williams 3 months, 1 week ago.

• Creator
    Topic

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

PPI Check

I have had loans, not sure if it’s in the time bracket, not sure if I had PPI.

I saw an ad, just using your name we can check.

In the end I gave up and decided to try one of the Free PPI checks.

I filled in online, no soon as I submitted I had a phone call. They were asking me, I said they advertise just using my name, so surely they should be able to tell me (not ask me)

They are sending some forms for me to fill in and sign.

Now all I can think, what have I done.

I have changed my mind about the check, if I don’t sign and send back the forms will hat be the end.

Cheers
    John

Spread the love
Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Replies

RSB
    Keymaster
    @bdthree
    Forumite Points: 1,266

I nearly deleted this thread at first glance. 😉

Americans: Over Sexed, Over Payed and Over here, Wat Wat!

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 1,814

John, in my opinion I don’t think you have anything to lose and may have something to gain.

If you don’t send the forms back you’ll likely get “reminders”. Now you’ve started might as well carry on but don’t part with any money up front!

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 2,954

A phone call commits you to nothing under Distant Selling regs, however forms contractually commit you..

If you receive forms make sure you fully understand them (especially money payments). If unsure take them to your local CAB and ask them to advise.

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 1,445

Have a look at the guide on Money Saving Expert before you fill out any forms, and see what they say about it

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-loan-insurance/

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 2,593

John I am going through the process myself, nearly fell for the “Free check” which became a 24% fee to the company. Dump that search, find the actual company that you took out the Loan/Mortgage/whatever with, and go to their website, which should have a page or link to PPI claims. In my case it is the Halifax and they are searching back to 1992, through one merged Estate Agent and another, busted agency. If you have any paperwork at all, that will help: photocopy and send.

Unfortunately, after 3 moves including to another county, I don’t have anything, but Halifax are defo pursuing it. They are sending updates and information requests to my mobile.

Good Luck! Going to the actual company that you had the PPI with, is free, backed by government legislation.

EDIT: check out Tippon’s Link to MSE above, it’s very useful.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by Bob Williams.

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry
    Forumite Points: 1,506

Lee I am glad you had a second glance.

Thanks Dave not sure if it possible to continue (read on)

It’s a little dodgy to continue.

Ed are you saying, (as they said they will send forms for me to fill and sign) I am now commited.

Since 1st post I have searched a little more and found as you did Bob they take a cut of any you get back,
    that does over ride free, but then it’s a free check.

Tippon I had a look on MSE (money saving expert) and also asked on the forum.

I think 1 or 2 on here may know (I forgot to say in this thread) I am bankrupt.

MSE say I can’t claim PPI for any PPI paid, before bankruptcy.

I just hope I haven’t done the wrong thing (starting with the PPI Free Check).
    I should have asked (on here) before filling in the online form with the PPI checker

Cheers
    John

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

Yep, do NOT sign anything unless you know what you are doing!

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

Thanks Ed

I won’t sign, I certainly don’t know what I am doing. They gotten hold of me, time to let go.

Cheers
    John

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

I received the forms from this bunch of Northeast shysters John, but did not sign and definitely did not return them: I kept the forms as an example of what not to do.

Bankruptcy is an awful place to be and I sympathise with you, having once reached a desperate stage when we could have lost the house we once owned, through disability, losing my well paid job and the DWP refusing to give me DLA or Incapacity for over a year. Eventually we sold the house at a loss and moved here to Lincs and rented accommodation, eventually being given Sheltered Housing. We were lucky, as my wife had an op go wrong and was also jobless, shortly after me. Having no income for that long period, we could well have been in your shoes.

I wish you all the best John.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

The CAB have specific advice that covers your case. CAB Link

You need to be especially careful.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 1,820

Wow, there is some really good, useful stuff lurking on this site. I had not idea that PPI claims could be such a murky pool when you add in some of the possible variables. What was not said is what happens if the outstanding balance on he bankruptcy is less than a claim; I guess it just moves from messy to even more complex. I wonder if you can or even should advise them that after taking advice you are no longer in a position to take further action. Then KEEP any and all records of contact to establish that you have no desire to take possibly illegal steps.

Does anyone any have any further thoughts?

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps

Just to reassure John a little, there are two things to remember about distance selling.

a) Provided THEY made the telephone contact with you, then you can happily just ignore them. Do NOT ring them back, as although the 15 day cooling off period applies they may make life miserable for you. I assume you just answered one of their irritating press button 9 type calls, so you should be OK. If not and you made first contact, then follow Richard’s advice.

b) Once you fill in and sign forms then you probably have a contractual commitment, however you then get into a murky area of whether undischarged bankrupts can undertake contracts or are even allowed to do so, and I plead ignorance. I do not want to speculate in that area, I’ll just make a general comment that applies to anyone:  NEVER sign any bit of paper unless you know what you are doing!

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

I don’t have much to add regarding PPI, there is already so much useful advice given.

However, this is the name of the company I first contacted, wanted to conduct a “Free” investigation for me by charging 24% of whatever I may receive: Consumer Refund Service. Based in Newcastle upon Tyne. Paperwork is professionally done, but there is loads of small print. I did read it all, discovering that they practically owned the case and the money until they decided it was time to give me my 76%.

Thanks, but no thanks.

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

Thanks all for the continued sugestions.

It was an online application, I hesitated but entered my phone number. I had barely finished submitting and they phoned me.

I won’t sign and will bin the forms.

Bob I feel for you at least your on track, I once had a house repossessed and ended somewhere (council) you wouldn’t want to live. Fortunatally someone exchanged with us.

Cheers
    John

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2

Oh, I lived somewhere very rough John, actually in the house we bought and sold at a loss to move here. It was mid-terrace NCB estate house: when the pit closed, the community was destroyed. Many of my oldest friends and family members, moved away. The older miners, some living in those house since the late 20’s, were gradually dying off. Many houses left empty were taken over by a really crap Housing Association. They were eventually taken over by the County Council, whose lefty barmpots completed the ruination of a community I had been born and grew up into by moving in “problem families”. Junkies, burglars, vandals and just plain rough buggas filled these homes and most were trashed within weeks. We lost about £5,000 on the sale, but were glad to go.

When you have a full scale riot on the street, and a junkie OD’ing on your drive, you do your level best to get out.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love