Printer problem

HOME Forums Tech Linux Talk Printer problem

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Les. 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Les.
    Participant
    @oldles
    Forumite Coins: 28

I have an HP8500A (A910) and on Sat, I wanted a quick print out for use in the shed. It would not print. I have been around in circles a few times, able to print reports from the printer (all OK) AND from the PC with “Print test page” after a reinstall, and also by going to its URL in FireFox. My pal came around to see if he could spot something, then spotted that I COULD print an ODT documents, but NOT a PDF!

Previously with another HP printer, under Mint 17, the default document viewer stopped printing DUPLEX PDF docs, so I installed Adobe 9 which fixed things.

I was going to uninstall and reinstall DOCUMENT VIEWER, but could not find it in the package manager

Now using Mint 18.3, Adobe no longer supported with Linux. Can anybody suggest an alternative to try?

Les.

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Coins: 733

The Document Viewer is called Evince in Cinnamon and Atril in Mate. (don’t ask why they are different!).

However your problem is not Evince or whatever it is the file association that is wrong. Find a pdf file and right-click on it. In Mate this opens a dialog box with a number of tabs, one of which is ‘Open With’. Change the association to point to Document Viewer (you may need to press the reset button at bottom – I’m not sure about that step).

Generally speaking on most modern GUIs using the right-click button is the first step to take if you are not sure why something does not work.

I forgot – if you use the crappy Cinnamon version – you may need to click some stupid advanced button/tab after right-clicking.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by Ed P.

Les.
    Participant
    @oldles
    Forumite Coins: 28

Most strange, only document viewer suitable for opening, the alternatives being GIMP and IMAGE MAGIC. So, in package manager I look for evince. There it is with a yellow sun in the description, but NOT shown as installed. I marked it for installation, installed, and now PDFs will print again.

They were previously opening with document viewer ??? and only last week I was printing OK. I think there was a kernal update last week, so I guess that “did something”, but how it was opening with a programme that was not installed  —  .

The other day upon the stair, I met a man who was not there.

I met him there again today, I really wish he would go away. (J.K.J.  ??)

Les.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.