Probably a silly question

HOME Forums Tech PC Talk Probably a silly question

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Dave Rice 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Creator
    Topic

dwynnehugh
    Participant
    @dwynnehugh

I have just installed MSO 2016 onto the new laptop and have done a system backup to an ex HDD, report all is well. I was then asked the question ‘did I want to create a sys rec disk?’ so I said ‘Yes’ and was told that the lappie has no DVDRW – true.

In the event that should I ever need to re-install all the stuff currently on the laptop I have a system backup via W10 but in the event of an emergency how would I access it please? Or how do I create a SR Disk – there does not seem an option to record it on a USB stick.

The more you meet people the more you understand why Noah took animals instead of humans

Spread the love
Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Boris
    @boris
    Forumite Points: 890

Dave,

I normally use EASEUS Todo (Free) for imaging.  You can create an emergency disk (as attached .jpg) to help you restore the image.

Never trust an atom - they make up everything !

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 2,266

I’ll second that. Choose the Windows disk, I’ve yet to have it create a workable Linux one. It’s very slick with EaseUs Recovery baked in.

I use it for “cloning” disks which I believe Boris does too. Backup, old disk out, new disk in, boot from USB and restore. Much more reliable results.

D-Dan
    Participant
    @d-dan
    Forumite Points: 1,236

Probably predictable, but Clonezilla, both to get a working drop in replacement drive, a fully restorable image, or, certainly with Linux, a mountable image that you can get individual files off.

Ryzen 7 1800X, 16 GB, 6 (yes - 6) HDs inc 2 SSDs, 4 RPis - one as an NFS server with two more drives, PiHole (shut yours), Plex server, cloud server, and other random Pi stuff. Nice CoolerMaster case, NV GTX 1060 6GB, and a whopping 32" AOC 1440P monitor.

dwynnehugh
    Participant
    @dwynnehugh
    Forumite Points: 887

A few searches on Google led me to the answers – have backed up the SSD to a HDD and made a bootable USB stick using W10’s own system – will they work when needed ….?

The more you meet people the more you understand why Noah took animals instead of humans

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725
    Forumite Points: 1,147

I’m sure the normal Windows 10 USB installation drive (Media Creation Tool) can be used to restore an image created with the W7 System Image Backup. If that is what you mean in the post above “using W10s own systems” then I think you are fine. I’m referring to the USB you can create here. Been a while but sure I’ve done that. If you can get it t work the the “Advanced Startup” will also give you an option to recover from a saved Image (Settings/Backup & Recovery/Recovery/Advanced/Startup) – depends how stuffed windows is I suppose. Been mentioned on another thread I keep images but would be inclined to clean install these days seeing how quick it is (and my config is simple, and data is on a different partition to windows). I also agree Easeus is very good.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 2,266

EaseUs is much better at handling the images than Windows, plus it’s compression is excellent.

I got a good deal on O&O DiskImage Pro last weekend (sale: £15 for 5 licences) for use at the charity. Very powerful but bloody hell it’s fiddly after EaseUs. There is a point and shoot interface for one off jobs as well though.

The easiest is Synology Active Backup for Business, but you need an Intel CPU Synology. For business PCs it’s the dogs doodahs for manageability and the data deduplication has to be seen to be believed. That’s all down to the BTRFS file system on the NAS.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love