PS2 Keyboard want for a good home

HOME Forums Other Stuff PS2 Keyboard want for a good home

This topic contains 29 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by johnbarry 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • Author

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry
    Forumite Coins: 1,009

PS2 Keyboard want for a good home.

I have a good home that needs a PS2 Keyboard.

My Lenovo does and always has looked for a PS2 Keyboard on second boot and there on. As it’s a USB keyboard it has to (via the bios) scan.

It takes forever before booting into Windows.

If I power off and leave it for 10 mins on first boot it finds the USB keyboard and boots straght in. On restart or shut down (no power off) it insists on looking for a PS2. In the past (as suggested by forumites) lchanging USB legacy etc doesn’t make a difference.

Todays brain wave, if I plug in a PS2 keyboard and leave it round the back, I can fool the Lenovo and it will boot into Windows then pick up the USB.

I sadly ditched all my PS2 when I was converted, I was hopeing a forumite may not be a ditcher and needs a good home for one.

It does begger to think is my home good if I am a ditcher, you decide.

I will pay the postage.

Cheers
    John

Boris
    @boris
    Forumite Coins: 354

John

I have several out in the garage somewhere, I’ll find one for you on Friday when I get back home.

PM me your address.

Location - Twixt Severn and Wye
    Status - "Retired" - but not as far as my wife is concerned !!

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Coins: 344

Sorry John but I always use a PS/2 keyboard given the chance so no spares ๐Ÿ˜”

I know you have tried the legacy keyboard setting in the BIOS but have you looked at the halt on error setting ? Sometimes just changing this to “all but keyboard” and saving the settings can help.

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

Thanks Boris I have pmd you

Wheels, I will try the halt just incase.

Cheers
    John

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

sos for DP (I can’t edit last post)

Another reason for PS2, I can’t get into the bios (to change halt) as it doesn’t find the keyboard, so I can’t press delete (F11- F1?) on boot. Only on first boot after power on.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by johnbarry.

Cheers
    John

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Something screwey there ๐Ÿค”

Plugging in a PS/2 keyboard may well help you but a proper fix might require clearing the CMOS settings.

Before you do that though, if the PS/2 keyboard lets you get into CMOS setting, try changing the legacy keyboard setting to off and saving then changing it to on and saving again. Stranger things have worked for me๐Ÿ˜

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Coins: 1,315

Its not unusual to need a PS2 keyboard to access the bios, especially if a password has been set. In the latter case the bios is often set up to ask for the password before it enters into the fallback legacy usb1 setting to gain usb keyboard access (dumb!). Bitter experience with such a problem is why I have a cheap (<ยฃ10) PS2 keyboard stashed away for emergency use.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Just for interest the legacy keyboard setting is actually the USB keyboard for legacy OS (Dos) setting.

During a cold start the system always enables legacy support, no matter what the setting, so you can get into the BIOS. If the setting is off then the BIOS will disable support as soon as it hands control to the OS, leaving Dos with no keyboard.

If the setting is on then the BIOS will leave support enabled but Windows will switch it off as soon as it loads its USB and keyboard drivers.

I don’t think a restart will re-enable support if the setting is off.

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Didn’t see you there Ed, think i was typing ๐Ÿ˜Š

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

I will give your suggestions a go, I recall trying all the above in 2016-17 to no avail.

The worst thing is, the mouse works no problem and it’s USB from a KVE sharing the same output as the Keyboard.

As you say it works from a cold start, I start it (OK) in the morn, then shut down and re start and shut down, from warm starts, even when I do restarts after Windows updates etc. That’s the problem and reason for a PS2, just to fox the Lenovo. In 2016 I even sent one back under warranty and they changed the motherboard, it still happened. Over the years I have concluded the only way is to fox it and give it what it wants (PS2 Keyboard)

Cheers
    John

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

The legacy keyboard support code is very limited and its really at its best when the keyboard is plugged directly into your PC. The code dosn’t include a proper USB bus driver so even using a hub can cause it to fail.

Anyway even at its best its just faking a PS/2 keyboard by using system management (SMBIOS) interrupts to read a USB keyboard and then copy its data to the PS/2 keyboard port address so long live the real PS/2 port !

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

With thanks to nudging me into the bios.

I found legacy enabled, couldn’t find halt, but did find (in advanced)

Something like Keyboardless (if enabled it stops error on post)

I enabled it and it now boots straight in without the error (I have faced for years) and I can use the keyboard on post even after a warm start (Windows update restart)

I have been in the bios many a time, yet never seen this option before.

Well it’s sorted at last.

Cheers
    John

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Coins: 1,315

KVE or KVM? If the latter they are notoriously ‘picky’

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by Ed P.

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

I don’t know about picky Ed, I must be though it should of been KVM, KVE are pork scratchings. I wouldn’t get a keyboard to work through a bag of scratchings.

It’s my memory, half the time I forget what I have come on here for.

Cheers
    John

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

Happy you are happy ๐Ÿ˜

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

As another out of interest.

My BIOS gives me the option to halt for all errors, halt for all but keyboard errors or halt for No errors

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

I did look Graham, couldn’t see halt, but then I could have missed it with all the excitement, after finding keyboardless (option).

Cheers
    John

Wheels-Of-Fire
    Participant
    @grahamdearsley

You found the right setting John its just slightly different between your PC and mine ๐Ÿ˜Š

johnbarry
    Participant
    @johnbarry

You found the right setting John ๐Ÿ˜Š

True, at least I found it as CeCe Peniston said.

Cheers
    John

wasbit
    Participant
    @wasbit
    Forumite Coins: 214

Are you sorted now John? I have a PS2 keyboard you can have if you still need one.

--
    Regards
    wasbit

Rig 1: Zalman Media Centre Rebuild (i3-540)
    Rig 2: Hp Elitebook 8440P (The Dave Laptop Special)
    The Dave Special & The 43 Special are still giving sterling service with new owners

Dear Starfleet, hate you, hate the Federation, taking Voyager. - Janeway

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.