Forumite Forums General Topics Tech PC Talk PWM vs DC

• Creator
    Topic

Pluse wave modulation verse Direct current.

I was wondering what is your prefered settings when it comes to controling your fans on your PC and why.

For Me its DC because that pulse thing just seems a little OTT?

Viewing 4 replies - 21 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Dave Rice
    Participant

100% load on all cores, CPU and VRM get up to 68c and stay there. Just the Wraith and a 120mm exhaust.

100% load on GPU too and they creep up to 74c, the same as the GPU, but they all just stay there again. The two 120mm intakes, exhaust, CPU and GPU fans will all be at about 70% by then. It’s not silent but it’s not noisy and that’s on the bench. Under a desk you’ll never hear it.

The MSI Armor fans don’t seem to worry about gently letting the GPU temps rise, they cut in with a bang to keep the temps from getting too high but are quite happy not to cool further even though they have enough in reserve. The case and CPU fans are controlled by the motherboard on a fixed rpm vs temp curve.

It seems to work, but if they ever want to consider overclocking I’m going to say get an AIO liquid cooler.

Wheels-Of-Fire
      Participant

My GPU fans are under software control from somewhere, when the system boots they run at full speed until Windows loads and then at a speed dependant on the temperature.

Dave Rice
        Participant

BIOSes tend to do that to be on the safe side. It’s still the BIOS that controls things on a temp vs rpm basis unless you load some software to take over.

I sold my intel i7 to build this machine and I got a terrific price for it TBH. Seems to be a characteristic of intel kit holding its price. I’m sure when I come to sell my 3600 I will get penuts for it.

Viewing 4 replies - 21 through 24 (of 24 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Shopping cart

image/svg+xml

No products in the cart.

Continue Shopping
        Forumite