Qi Chargers – Are they worth it?

HOME Forums Tech Android Talk Qi Chargers – Are they worth it?

Tagged: , , ,

This topic contains 14 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Tippon 3 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon

I’m thinking about getting wireless chargers for both our Honor 9’s, so that we can just put them down and they’ll charge. Every now and then we’re forgetting to charge them until the warning bleep tells us not to use the phone >.<

The pads for the back of the phone are only about £3 on Ebay, and the charging pads don’t seem to be much more. Do they actually charge at a decent rate? Both phones are in a case, so I’m not worried about the phone pad, but how robust do the pads tend to be? They seem to look like coasters, so I’m worried about guests putting hot mugs on them 😲

My ideal plan is to get one each next to our usual seats in the living room, one for my desk, maybe one each for the baby’s playroom, and one each for the car / cars depending on when I eventually get around to driving. They’d be left in place and plugged in constantly, and possibly near speakers, or have NFC tags attached.

Has anyone got any experience with them, or can see a problem with my usage? Also, are there different standards, or do they all work together?

Spread the love
Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Replies

The Duke
    @sgb101
    Forumite Points: 1,772

They charge quite slow but perfect for top up charges, if like you discribe, you know where you’ll be most of the time  like a desk or chair

Personally if your phone can do fast charge, I prefer that, and think if your phone can charge quickly and it has decent battery life, it’s better just to give the phones small boosts as and when needed. Cos QC will dump 80% in about 40 mins. So a couple of 10 min charges through the day will keep a phone between 20 and 80%, all the time.

Charging to 100% all the time isn’t good got a battery, and worse still keeping it on charge a lot, (just like a laptop) it shortens the life of the battery dramatically. My wife lives with her phone plugged in all the time, and she has never had a battery last 12 months.

Now she has the P20 and finally I’ve it her to stop the constant charging, as it’s battery life is decent, and quick charge (don’t recall what srandered it is, there is a few atm) but it works very well.

Isn’t honour an arm of huawei? If so I bet it has a decent fast charge, as the Nexus 6p was Huawei phone (3 years old ish) iirc quick charge 2, and that also worked well. But it’s the P20 Pro I currently have that really shines. Charges quick, and has a 4000mah battery that lasts well. I never charge it overnight anymore. Just plug in for 10 mins in the morning then again sometime through the day.

I think wireless charging was a good idea 6 years ago. Sadly car oems have started to install it, just as most of try phone oems are dropping it. It’s cos Apple decided to include it finally, so as usual the industries decide its now a thing.

Although I’d quite like witless charging in the car, (I always charge on the car due to me using Sat nav). Though the last time I charged witless charing it was slow. Like using a 500mah plug.

Granted that was about 5 years ago, and it was a failure as phones drank batterys back then, so we needed faster charging. Back then even plugs only offered 1amp at 5v. I think my current charger is 3amps at 9v, (i cant check the plug atm given its 02:35) then at 80% fails back to 1amp 5v. For a gentler finish. 😳

After all that drivel, I’d say if a Qi charger fits into your life and you sant have fast charge, yes it should work. Though I wouldn’t buy on price. I’d really compare a lot. And I’d buy from Anker or the like, and not some generic no name stuff.

Or if you go by cheap, just buy one base station and one receiver, to test it out. I’d buy from Amazon too, so exchanging it is guaranteed.

PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 1,312

Don’t buy one yet, I have a stand type one you can have. Not been used for a good while.

Might even have a Nokia one which were the best at one time .

I had my LG G4 charging through the sofa , the Qi charger was under the cushion cover.

My Instagram

My YouTube

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 2,140

Steve, I find that my phone (a Wileyfox) also does a variable rate charge, and cuts right down to a slow trickle charge above 80%. One year on, the battery seems to have a very similar performance to its original.

Battery management is an art, and some phone makers unwisely save a few pence in this area. I do agree that the worst thing you can do is to allow the phone battery to go below 20% (ideally not below 50%).

PlaneMan
    @planeman

Found them. Don’t bother with a cheap Qi charger, I’ve had 2 develop potentially dangerous faults.

The Nokia is the white one, complete with proprietary plug-may well be a use for old chargers they had sitting about as it looks like one from the Nokia 3220 era. The red one uses a micro usb port. Both are yours if you want them Ryan. Just let me have your addy. (Again)

My Instagram

My YouTube

Bob Williams
    Participant
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 2,043

Steve, I find that my phone (a Wileyfox) also does a variable rate charge, and cuts right down to a slow trickle charge above 80%. One year on, the battery seems to have a very similar performance to its original. Battery management is an art, and some phone makers unwisely save a few pence in this area. I do agree that the worst thing you can do is to allow the phone battery to go below 20% (ideally not below 50%).

I have the same experience with my Swift and SWMBO’s Spark, Ed. However, my Gert has only learned not to run hers down to nothing, in the last few weeks. That was due to a failed boot, after who knows how may shutdowns. I managed to recover it, but at least the lesson has gone home: now, every time she uses the Spark, she checks the battery. Always takes a near-disaster!

“If you think this Universe is bad, you should see some of the others.”
    ― Philip K. Dick, legendary SF writer.

The Duke
    @sgb101

I have a theory on women and children, as they don’t have to fix or buy anything they have less respect for stuff. This could be a cupboard door to a phone all the way up to a car door.

It’s not till you’re the one that is has to pay or spend time and effort to keep “whatever” alive, that you truly  know the value of shit.

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon
    Forumite Points: 1,135

Found them. Don’t bother with a cheap Qi charger, I’ve had 2 develop potentially dangerous faults. The Nokia is the white one, complete with proprietary plug-may well be a use for old chargers they had sitting about as it looks like one from the Nokia 3220 era. The red one uses a micro usb port. Both are yours if you want them Ryan. Just let me have your addy. (Again)

That would be brilliant, thanks 🙂

Do you have any suggestions on chargers? Ideally I want to put a few around the place so I can’t forget to charge 😀

@sgb101 The Honor 9 is similar in a lot of ways to the P20, including the fast charging. The problem we tend to have though is we put our phones down, then realise as we’re about to do something with them that they’re low on charge, usually as we’re about to go out. There are only a handful of places that we tend to leave them, so wireless chargers there would be a workaround for our forgetfulness (We’ve already got extra chargers and battery packs, and still get flat batteries) 😀

Drezha
    Participant
    @drezha
    Forumite Points: 543

I’m using the Anker QI chargers on Amazon with no problems.

PlaneMan
    @planeman

LG/Nokia/Samsung are a few more brands that are reliable.

My Instagram

My YouTube

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon

Thanks guys. Sorry about the slow reply, but the lurgy struck again 🙁

I forgot to ask, can you get USB-C pads for the phone with a passthrough port, so it can still be plugged into the normal charger? The pads all seem to be wireless or nothing.

Les.
    Participant
    @oldles
    Forumite Points: 221

Off topic I know, but earlier Steve referred to “Women and children”, with which I disagree. Now if you had said “My wife and my children” then I would agree 100%.

Many years ago I had a women running all the different functions in the lab, including SENSIBLY tidying my desk once a week when I was elsewhere.

Occasionally,  she would tell me of some trivial disagreement with her hubby, at which point I realised there were WIVES and WOMEN, definitely different.

Les. Edit: Spelling.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by Les..

The Duke
    @sgb101

Off topic I know, but earlier Steve referred to “Women and children”, with which I disagree. Now if you had said “My wife and my children” then I would agree 100%. Many years ago I had a women running all the different functions in the lab, including SENSIBLY tidying my desk once a week when I was elsewhere. Occasionally, she would tell me of some trivial disagreement with her hubby, at which point I realised there were WIVES and WOMEN, definitely different. Les. Edit: Spelling.

I’ll revise it to most women. But I’m not budging no more. Lol

Ed P
    Participant
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 2,140

I once worked for a woman who at one time was the maintenance officer in charge of a US Marine Harrier Squadron. I suspect that she had great respect for a whole bunch of things that she did not actually buy! (Btw she was an excellent boss). So ‘most’ maybe but that has not been my personal experience.

Tippon
    Keymaster
    @tippon

Just an update, in case anyone’s interested.

For us, qi chargers are not worth it. As they interfere with the fast charge ability and the ability to connect the phone to the computer, we don’t use them. If they were built in to the phone they’d be perfect.

We back up our photos and transfer music often enough that removing the case to unplug the qi charger gets in the way. Media Monkey’s wireless music syncing will help, and if we ever get a decent NAS, like the Synology setups that Dave recommends, then it might be a different story. Until then though, it’s a no go.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love