Forumite

Raspberry Pi 4

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Looking good http://tinyurl.com/yyfmu4rm

USB C, 3 & 2, dual 4k HDMI, up to 4GB ram, Gigabit Ethernet, 1.5GHz 64-bit quad-core ARM Cortex-A72 (A v8)

2GB of ram model £44 at the PiHut official USB C power supply £8.  If you want to use USB C, PoE splitters are available but the ones I’ve seen are more expensive than the PoE Hat @ £18.

Viewing 9 replies - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    Drezha
    @drezha
    Forumite Points: 3,016

An article showing that the newer firmware updates are helping to keep the board cool.

https://www.hackster.io/news/raspberry-pi-4-firmware-updates-tested-a-deep-dive-into-thermal-performance-and-optimization-2f22c78e7089

Also interesting is the almost throwaway comment at the end about running the board vertically, rather than horizontally. Not sure I’ve seen a case out there that would do this but interesting to see if there is!

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps
    Forumite Points: 16,565

“Also interesting is the almost throwaway comment at the end about running the board vertically”

Funnily enough I run my Pi’s in just that way. I tend to run out of desktop surface quite quickly and velcroing a Pi to the monitor stand has been my solution to the problem. For an air-cooled Pi that appears to be a good way of maximising convection cooling.

Participant
    Drezha
    @drezha

I do have a VESA mount somewhere, but my current monitor doesn’t support it so it’s not much help now unfortunately!

Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 5,490

I do have a VESA mount somewhere, but my current monitor doesn’t support it so it’s not much help now unfortunately!

My old monitor wasn’t VESA mountable, so I got one of THESE. I’ve replaced the monitor since and now have 2 VESA monitors on a DESKMOUNT.

That means the old adapter is spare – if it’s any use to you all I want is postage for it. PM me if that’s of any use.

It’s a bit of a cludge, but it worked well for 9 months or so.

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

For clarity, I’m not using a vesa mount but sticking the Pi onto the monitor upright.

I put the Pi into a PibBow case, then hotglue velcro tapes onto the base of the case and wrap that around the monitor upright. Of course you could just hotglue the case directly onto the upright, or use a big velcro pad, one bit glued onto the stand the other onto the case. — what ever works best for you, as this is a very flexible solution.

The Pibow case has the advantage of leaving the hot surfaces of the Pi4 uncovered.

Participant
    Drezha
    @drezha

My old monitor wasn’t VESA mountable, so I got one of THESE. I’ve replaced the monitor since and now have 2 VESA monitors on a DESKMOUNT. That means the old adapter is spare – if it’s any use to you all I want is postage for it. PM me if that’s of any use. It’s a bit of a cludge, but it worked well for 9 months or so.

Thanks for the offer, but no thanks – my monitor is this one, and the stand is built in. Does the job for me and I’m not using the Pi 4 at the minute.

Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 5,490

No Worries.👍👍

Participant
    Ed P
    @edps

If you had ideas on using the Pi4 for a media centre but gave up due to the lack of usb boot from SSD or usb drive then you can pull it out of a drawer and blow the dust off it as it will now boot from USB if you update the flash bios. (i.e boot from SD card, and follow the procedure given in Toms Hardware. )

I’m now thinking of buying one of these to make a classic Nintendo look-alike. Shame I do not have the ROMs to put on it!

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by Ed P.
    Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 9,287

Hoorah.

Viewing 9 replies - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.