Forumite

Repurposing Drives

HOME Forums Tech PC Talk Repurposing Drives

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2

I have a 2 TB Hdd spinner connected to this desktop for backups.

I have been trying to set up a USB recording facility on my Sony TV, just for Freeview*: tried USB sticks of various sizes, even a brand new Crucial 480 GB SSD that came to me as a gift from a family member who found no use for it. I put that in a USB 3.0 “Easeous” case I had for ages. I would to swop the 2TB spinner case for the 480 GB and use the 480 for desktop backups, which would be faster anyway.

My problem is that the 2TB spinner is showing in Devices as a SCSI drive. How can I format this to serve as a TV recording drive?

Al advice received with thanks.

*For programmes SWMBO would like saved: I have Prime and am mostly watching via the Fire TV now. Incidentally, I was surprised to see  that Win 10 has picked up the Fire on my network. Can I stream from that to the desktop?

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
    I'm out.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee
    Forumite Points: 4,748

I’ve also got a Sony Smart TV, and they are picky about the disks they like and those they don’t.

I printed out the section of the manual, as I knew I wouldn’t remember it!!

• If the TV has more than one USB port, use the port labelled HDD REC.
    • Press whichever button on the remote that gets you to terrestrial TV – mine is Digital/Analogue.
    • Press HOME button on the remote, then navigate to and select Settings ( toolbox logo)
    • Select cabinet logo ( System Settings ), then Recording Set-up, then HDD Registration.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to register the USB HDD device.

You then use either the one touch record with the REC button, or go via the Guide for timer recording.

To watch recorded content, Press HOME, the navigate to and select Channels. Select Recordings, then Title, then Play.

To Delete a watched programme, Select HOME, Select Channels/Recordings/content, then press OPTIONS button on remote, then select DELETE.

Hope it’s similar or work-out-able on yours.

Good luck.

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 8,306

Don’t worry about the scsci bit, it’s not actually a scsi drive, it’s a USB drive, but different USB controllers seem to present drives in different ways. I’ve heard of this happening more on USB 3 ports, plug it into a USB 2 port and it’ll probably show differently.

NTFS that will probably be the show stopper and formatting it as FAT32 should sort that, but you’ll need to use a third party app to do it. I use Rufus.

EDIT – there is a reason why you have you use an SSD or spinner, they can accept video streams natively which “thumb drives” cannot as they lack the instruction set.

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley
    Forumite Points: 5,578

My Samsung TV has an option to format a HDD to its liking, it is meant to be able to use drives that are pre formatted FAT32 or ExFAT but it often can’t. Drives formatted by the TV show up just fine on a Windows PC though.

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley

There is a reason for many USB drives showing up as SCSI too and it is the Advanced SCSI Programming Interface. ASPI is designed for many different devices and it supported data streams long before ATA 8 did so many drivers are written to use it. If your USB drive emulates a SCSI device then it can often use the built in Windows SCSI drivers.

Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee

My Samsung TV has an option to format a HDD to its liking, it is meant to be able to use drives that are pre formatted FAT32 or ExFAT but it often can’t. Drives formatted by the TV show up just fine on a Windows PC though.

That’s the process that happens when the drive is ‘registered’, it gives you the usual warning about losing any data.

It does say you’ll have to re-format the drive in the PC, for use on the PC.

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley

Oh just one more thing 😁

If you have a newish PC with UEFI then there is a chance that Windows will partition your data disks as GPT instead of MBR. My TV won’t even see them.

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley

Does the “registration” process also partition the disk JCD ?

Participant
    Wheels-Of-Fire
    @grahamdearsley

I wonder if Sony TV’s use the same “interesting” formatting that they use on the Play Station ?

Participant
    JayCeeDee
    @jayceedee

Does the “registration” process also partition the disk JCD ?

No idea of the process it undergoes, the manual only mentions it as registering or de-registering!!

I wonder if Sony TV’s use the same “interesting” formatting that they use on the Play Station ?

No idea, never had one.

Participant
    Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 8,306

With Rufus you have full control over GPT etc. but getting the TV to format it is a good idea.

Participant
    PlaneMan
    @planeman
    Forumite Points: 6,653

LG TV’s with webOS use either FAT32 or NTFS.

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 12,953

Thanks for the replies guys: as usual, much interesting and useful information. Sorry I have not responded sooner, Been busy building up the new HiFi stand, installing the record deck and HiFi. Waiting for 2 speaker stands now.And today we went for some short exercise, then found another part of Louth that brought us out where we lived 17 years ago. Short became almost 2 hours.

I should also have mentioned that I paired up 2x Netgear PLP1000-100UKS adapters* to my network. One is connected to the router and one to the desktop here in the spare room, both giving me the Ethernet option now. It has given me much better service to the desktop and the option for Ethernet to SWMBO’s laptop, should that be necessary. I have been trying to source one more single adapter, but no one does them, which is a pita. Why not split a pair, it would actually be more cost efficient for them? They always charge more for ‘one of’ anything anyway! So I have ordered another pair, because I cannot get the TV to connect to the internet wirelessly, it just will not work although I followed the Sony manual instructions and TV is just about 12 feet away from the router, line of sight. There are two double power sockets behind the TV and an adapter there will give me Ethernet to TV, which has an Ethernet socket. Another power socket has a 4 gang extension for everything else.

JCD: my  TV is a Sony Bravia, but only a KDL 40RD45 and just HD, which is fine for us. 2x USB 2.0 ports, neither has a Hdd REC label. Thanks for the instructions, I printed out relevant pages in the manual too. I also found ‘Register – Deregister‘ when trying to get the USB stick to work: it was greyed out. Next para is why…

Dave: thanks for the explanations regarding SCSI and why the USB stick would not work. I have saved the Rufus link and will format as FAT32, unless the TV can format it for me. Although I will have to format the USB spinner before connecting it to the TV USB port as storage.

WoF: interesting info, my PC is not UEFI and the spinner Hdd has MBR.   ” Does the “registration” process also partition the disk JCD ? ” – As JCD says, no idea, but it does show “Register” or “Deregister”. I would think that if it Registers the Hdd, it actually sets it up with an MBR and a partition. I shall suck it and see, watch this space!

Nolan, I think there are proprietary differences between makes of TV. When I had a Hitachi soundbar for example, I could not get Sony Bravia Sync to work with it. Now I have a Sony soundbar, it all works seamlessly.

*I really like these Netgear adapters, pricey but better than a pair of TP-Link ones I once had, which were smaller and ran hot, then gave patchy service. The Netgear ones are larger, pass through and are hardly warm to touch. I guess you get what you pay for.

I'm out.

Participant
    Bob Williams
    @bullstuff2
    Forumite Points: 12,953

The start of my new setup at Bullstuff Towers Mk.II. To add: another Netgear adapter with Ethernet to TV, Sony sound bar, speaker stands to give stereo separation. Anyone interested in the HiFi stand, find it here: https://tinyurl.com/y8f9zp7b

– But it is now unavailable, I must have bought the last one. If you can find it elsewhere, it’s a really attractive piece of kit, but ask me for advice on assembling it: I found some pitfalls.

A work in progress…

I'm out.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Support Forumite

Choose between a one off contribution or a subscription. 

It only Takes a Minute or two.
Lets Go!
close-link