Ring Video Doorbells

HOME Forums Tech Other Tech Ring Video Doorbells

This topic contains 12 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Dave Rice 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

• Creator
    Topic

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725

Afternoon all, wondering if anyone has experience of the Ring video doorbells – particularly the “Ring Pro”. Picked one up on Amazon Prime Day and still umm-ing and ahh-ing about it (i.e. keep or return). A couple of my neighbours have the Ring 2 and are so-so about it (laggy) but don’t know anyone with the pro. Ta.

Spread the love
Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 2,374

Latency and over sensitive sensors. You need a longish drive IMO.

I fitted a solar power Reolink Argus for a customer on a longer wall mount so it was just covering their door (they have no drive, the door is <2 metres from the pavement).  They had a BT Home Hub under the stairs, so withing 10 feet, and it was hit and miss. Their TV only had Ethernet so I used a TP-Link TL-WA850RE N300 Universal Range Extender to sort that out, and even though it was further away from the camera the issues went away. They now have a Three Huawei E5573Cs-322 4G MiFi even further away with no issues either, so it was the wretched BT HH.

There is latency, there always will be, but it’s not onerous. The solar panel is actually facing north but has no problem keeping the battery topped up so it is truly wireless. It was all set up from my Android phone and the customer uses an iPhone. False alarms are very rare.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 2,301

A neighbour has a Ring device and recently circulated a screen image of a caller to her house. The image was so-so. It appears quite hard to ensure that backlighting will not swamp the caller’s image and that their face will be well captured under all conditions. I wondered about getting one as our door bell rings to be heard in the front of the house, but can get missed when we are in the back. In the end I cried off as the siting and alignment issues put me off, along with the need to use a mobile to answer the door. I suspect that it really does depend a lot on your personal needs and patience to set it up and get it right.

Dave’s response does suggest it works well for some users.

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725
    Forumite Points: 1,189

Cheers Dave – I know you are the go-to man on all this stuff. None of that stuff you linked is a doorbell though (at least I don’t think so?). I’ve got a “normal” drive I think for an end-terrace – comfortably fits a couple of cars – three at a push. Since I posted I’ve lashed the Ring Pro up with a bit of double sided tape and the transformer wire out through the letterbox. It seems to be pretty good. All my tribe are away at the moment so god willing will have a proper go over the weekend when hopefully one of them rocks up! Also been thinking about a camera (maybe two – front and back) upstairs where I have PoE – but Solar is something I hadn’t thought of. I’ll see how I go with the doorbell and might pick your brains after. thanks again.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

It’s not a doorbell and doesn’t need to be. As they approach the existing doorbell they will trigger the motion detection.The motion detection pushes an alarm to your mobile device. This is how Ring works as well.

I tested it on my house before installing at the customers. This guy hadn’t rung the doorbell yet.

This is on it’s normal mount. At the customers it’s on a longer mount so facing more towards the door (and higher up). It would cover up to where my path turns left as that’s where their pavement begins.

Richard
    Participant
    @sawboman
    Forumite Points: 2,301

Dave, that was a very much better and clearer image than the one provided by our neighbour. It provides a very good example of what the device can show, however, it is well and very evenly lit.

Was this a ‘happy accident’ relating to the alignment of your property and front door, or the result of careful planning and research?

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Lighting is very important and usually the last thing people think about. My door’s south facing so anything pointing straight out, like a Ring, risks getting the sun straight down the barrel. My CCTV camera is mounted above the garage, so further along the wall you can see, and even though it’s angled downwards can suffer from flare for 30 minutes or so each day.

The positioning of the test shots was determined by where there was already a handy screw in a location that would do. It was more to test the sensitivity of the motion detection, just hand holding the camera I was confident the quality was OK. I already knew that it would be mounted differently at the customers but in the same sort of location.

This is the customers house, the door on the right.

It can’t be mounted on the wall to the right, some sort of cladding, so it had to go between the doors. There’s a glass canopy above the doors too. The black downpipe was a handy place to hide the wire to the solar panel which went up as high as I could safely reach on the ladder. You can see from the picture that it’s in shade all day but produces enough even in the winter (which is when it was installed). A Ring in this location would be going off all day with pedestrians and cars passing by.

Close up IR lighting at night always washes out the subject but you would still recognise someone you knew. A normal outside light, such as you see I have, should produce enough light to not need the IR.

They don’t use the 2 way audio, I always treat it as a gimmick due to latency. In reality nothing is like you see on the adverts. You also have to realise that if you are say, washing the car, and going in and out your phone will be pinging away like mad!

Personally I rely on my CCTV camera covering the drive, it does all I really need. I could set a push notification but find them a PITA.

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725

Thanks Dave & Richard. Still waiting for an extra pair of hands – and also delivery of a “wedge” to adjust the angle of the doorbell (improvised one yesterday which worked well with double sided tape). The footage from the Ring Pro does look very good- even at night. Hadn’t considered lighting and its been overcast here since I got it, so will have to see when the sun comes out. My front is more or less East Facing so cops the sun in the morning. The bell would be under an overhang which I think would help most of the time. From what I’ve read the Ring Pro video quality is a definite step-up from the “2”. I’ll see how it goes before I drill any holes! Do like the look of those Solar ones though…..especially thinking of the back where one of Dave’s Ubiquiti APs means WiFi aint an issue!

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

I am impressed by the Reolink Argus but would still use a Hikvision camera unless there were cabling issues. In those circumstances the solar makes perfect sense as you’ll never have to worry about charging / changing the battery.

However they’re simple to remove from the standard mount which means putting up high or on a 3rd party mount, both of which are probably no brainers anyway.

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725

Thanks Dave – the “wedge” and a pair of hands turned up. I’ve got it mounted and temporarily connected to power – will wire it in to a garage socket tomorrow/Monday once I’ve picked up some trunking. They recommend mounting them at 4ft high which looks a bit odd next to the door but seems about right for the video coverage. Tested the audio and the lag is very low – even on 4g- I’d say maybe half a second tops.

I’ve dipped in to the one year plan for 30 days rolling online storage (£25) and will assess it for a year. One nice feature is that you can adjust the motion detection zones in the app, as well as setting a schedule or a one off snooze (e.g. washing the car).

These are no doubt expensive for what they are and no way would I have paid the £230 RRP – but £150  on prime day tempted me. In fact as the pro comes with a chime it was effectively the same price as the discounted “2” if you factor in the chime cost £30).

Going to have a think about the back of the house and will no doubt be tapping you up again! Cheers.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

One nice feature is that you can adjust the motion detection zones in the app.

The problem I had reading reviews was that it didn’t make much difference, especially with the pavement so close. It works on heat as well as movement. I couldn’t risk that amount of money + the cost of an alternative if it was unsuitable. The other thing was the Reolink take SD cards so no fees and the truly wireless with the solar option tipped it.

With even the cheapest Hikvision IP camera you can set up triggers based on line crossing or entering a pre-defined area and staying for x seconds. This is what I used to use on my “front drive” camera to cut down false alarms. On the latest camera I’m using Manything Pro for cloud storage as is Steve at the pub. That only has (configurable) motion detection but their algorithms are spot on, better than I can manage.

blacklion1725
    Participant
    @blacklion1725

Thanks Dave – you’re right the Rig Pro has no local storage – its £25/year for one camera or £80/year for unlimited devices. I don’t think I’d do anything beyond the doorbell – their other devices don’t look great to me. The Ring 2 does have an SD card but the Pro doesn’t. So far the motion detection zones seem accurate – I’m getting people coming on to my drive but not people on the pavement or cars on the road. Time will tell. Once I’ve tidied up my drive(just had the front of the house rendered)  I’ll put some pictures up.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

I’m glad it’s working for you, I suspect it would be fine on my house but I have a Hikvision solution to play with at some time.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Spread the love