Forumite

Router Issues

HOME Forums Tech PC Talk Router Issues

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Dave Rice 6 months, 1 week ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Drezha
    Participant
    @drezha

Rather than hijack Les’s thread, here’s a new one.

Getting web drop outs – Virgin box (in modem mode) and Netgear Nighthawk that I’ve had for about two years. Wifi will stop working and will only work again after a reboot of the router (Netgear). Started to effect the internet now as well, as it’ll drop my Synology connection. Happens every so often – not that regularly yet, but has happened enough to make it annoying.

Dave, do you rate the TD-W9970 you mentioned on the other thread? Can’t figure out if it’s the Virgin Box or my Nighthawk – chances are it’s the Nighthawk, as the reset of it clears the issue up. However, I always get an email from Synology when the internet drops so I’m able to figure out when it happens.

I’ve been debating going down the route of a Draytek router, and getting the Tenda mesh WiFi kit to provide wifi throughout the house (not a huge house, but getting wifi at the rear of the house upstairs is a pain, due to the brick walls throughout being a 1940’s build). But if the cheaper one will do the job as well, I’ll save some cash (and potentially just use the Netgear WiFi extender I already have that I bought for my old cadet unit).

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Dave Rice
    @ricedg
    Forumite Points: 3,394

On the train in deepest Cornwall so can’t check model numbers. 9970 is very basic, fine for home adsl.

Draytek or synology router is absolutely the best way to go. Even the Draytek 27xx can handle 2 subnets and dial in SSL VPN (and all the other flavours). Choice of WiFi on sub models. Can support draytek mesh IIRC but check.

Synology uses the same gui as the servers. Very feature packed. There are 2 models from memory.

Ubiquti do good routers as well as WiFi, all from the same cloud controller. Broadband Buyer can advise and will set up the cloud controller for free 3 years.

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Synology routers comparison https://www.synology.com/en-uk/products/compare/routers They are not cheap!

Draytek Vigor 2762 AC on this page from £145. I love them but you need some network jargon knowledge to get them set up, there are loads of official How-Tos though which I refer to constantly. when you see them it all makes sense. But very different from a “Home / soho” consumer job. I don’t think you’ll have a minutes problem, but of course this is what makes them very powerful and flexible. You have control of just about every aspect.

I have 2 networks, 192.168.x.x “home” and 10.x.x.x test and no need for a second router. Just tell the Draytek LAN 1 for home, LAN 2 for test and let LAN 1 port see LAN 2 (but not vice versa) by ticking boxes. WiFi I don’t use but IIRC you can decide which LAN(s) each SSID can see (you can full blown tags too in a fully managed complex environment).

The Draytek takes care of DHCP on both LANs. Marvellous.

Drezha
    Participant
    @drezha
    Forumite Points: 1,241

The TP Link was the cheap one, which was a bit surprised at why I’d seen you recommend it on the thread with Les.

Whilst the Draytek’s are expensive, I’m considering avoiding it, on the basis that the Nighthawk was expensive as well and I’m already getting issues! However, if I did, I’d rather than then a similar priced consumer unit.

I will ponder over my holiday in Devon (during which, I’m expecting the current router to drop out whilst I’m away!)

Dave Rice
    @ricedg

Draytek are business oriented and rock solid reliability as well as configuration you get for complex networking . They are the router of choice for SMB, I cannot give them higher praise than that.

Draytek router, synology server is my preferred solution to the SMB I look after. I know they will both not let me down.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thank you for visiting Forumite. If you appreciate the site please consider a donation to show your appreciation.
Take Me There!
close-image