Forumite Forums General Topics Other Stuff Royal Mail discount

• Creator
    Topic
    PlaneMan
    Participant

Today I had to send a form back to the DWP (hence the need to get a copy of my autism report). As usual I sent it signed for,  1st class this time as it needs to be there before the middle of next week. Envelope weighed and the bloke said £1.32. I thought that was cheap for a large envelope so asked him to check and and that’s what it was. Turned out as the envelope was a prepaid one I had a 79p discount. I’ve never seen this before and can’t find any information on it.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Dave Rice
      Participant

Was it specifically for the DWP? If so they would have arranged the discount.

PlaneMan
        Participant

Yes Dave.

Don’t tell me the DWP have actually done something right for once!!

dwynnehugh
          Participant

Probably what is happening is that companies with large postal mail outputs use a franking machine in their post rooms (many small companies / solicitors have these as well).  You hire the machines which then allows you to send mail at a cheaper rate for you – no collections, no franking etc. etc just dump all outgoing mail at the nearest PO.

For a company sending out very large numbers of letters etc. it works out much cheaper – seems if you also enclose a ‘SAE’ that’s cheaper too. You ‘feed the machine’ with shekels at regular intervals!!

The more you meet people the more you understand why Noah took animals instead of humans

johnbarry
            Participant

I have had the same, I once sent it 1st class recorded and the DWP freepost was deducted from the total cost.

Cheers
              John

Bob Williams
              Participant

Interesting: something useful to remember when dealing with DWP, thanks guys!

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
                I'm out.

Dave Rice
                Participant

D2 – This is where my RM and working on a PO counter experience comes in ?

Once you frank an envelope you’ve paid the postage (there’s a counter in the machine and various methods of reading / paying / prepaying) . Not good when you want to slip a pre-paid envelope into your junk mail given the hit rate is 1% or less.

The service is called Freepost or Business Reply.

• Only pay for the replies you receive
                  • Opt for replies by 1st or 2nd Class
                  • Pre-printed

Businesses can print their own envelopes once the contract is agreed – it’s all barcode based. The cost of the postage is all based on volume.

So Nolan and John have only had to pay for the added services they require, the bump to 1st and track and trace.

Bob Williams
                  Participant

Even more interesting, from the Forumite with working experience of the mysterious ways of Royal Mail!

When the Thought Police arrive at your door, think -
                    I'm out.

Spedley
                    Participant

Yeah, I’m a postie and we sort all the ‘business replies’ seperately.  They are then checked for weight and counted, then delievered in the usual way but charged for on account.
                      I don’t do that job but I believe items are charged based on the label, e.g. 1st or 2nd class and if there is a recorded delivery sticker without extra postage prepaid it will be charged to the company as though postage was not paid.

i7 4790s / 8GB / 480GB SSD / GTX 980 / 34" UltraWide : i3 4170 / 8GB / 480GB SSD / GTX 770 / 24" Samsung : i3 4130 / 8GB / 500GB Spinner / GTX 1050 / 23" Acer : Q9550 / 8GB / 1TB Spinner / GTX 580 / 22" Acer : i7 720QM / 8GB / 1TB+2TB+500GB Spinners (server) : i5 4570 / 8GB / 60GB SSD / 1TB / GeForce 210 / 22" Dell It's getting warm in here!

PlaneMan
                      Participant

Thanks for the info folks, kind of what I figured, just never seen it before.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Shopping cart

image/svg+xml

No products in the cart.

Continue Shopping
                      Forumite